THIS IS ALL ABOUT LOVE AND ONLY LOVE

The latest from THE Richard Pryor... news, events, collector's items and more!

Moderators: bingolong, Jennifer, tamra

Forum rules
Spam is not allowed. All spammers will be blocked and reported to appropriate agencies.
Jennifer
White Honkey Bitch In Charge

THIS IS ALL ABOUT LOVE AND ONLY LOVE

Post by Jennifer »

Dear Jennifer:

Thank you for calling me again. I have set forth below a summary of Sara's Story.

Sara is a 4-year old, pedigreed white German Shepherd. Nick Lozano, disabled vet from a parachuting accident that occurred during the time of the Gulf War, was with the Rangers.

[img]/animals/sara2.jpg[/img]
He has had Sara since she was a puppy, and had trained her to be his helper dog. It is my understanding that Sara was taken for lessons with a local obedience class, but she has never received any formal companion-helper dog training. Nevertheless, she was Nick's helper and companion and he adored her.

A series of missteps occurred that resulted in the situation we find ourselves in today. About a month ago, Nick came down to visit his parents in Oxnard for their wedding annioversary. He left Sara alone in a motel room for a very short while while he and his friend left to get some food when they first arrifved in Oxnard. They were staying in a room especially outfitted for the disabled. The door had a handle oin the inside instead of a door knob. Sara operated the handle, opened the door and got out presumably in an effort to find Nick. He and his friend came back and were horried to find Sara gone. Nick stayed in town for about a week in the hopes of finding Sara, to the detriment of his own health (he is a quad and operates in a motorized wheelchair himself). It was during the time of the very heavy rains, storms and winds here. Sara was actually located about a week after she went missing initially, but the animal regulation people reportedly spooked her and she ran off. Although animal regulations and local police tried to keep an eye out for Sara on their regular patrols, there wasn't any concerted organized effort to find Sara. That's when John and I first got involved.

John prepared professional looking flyers, in English and Spanish, offering a reward for Sara's safe return which we posted all over the Oxnard area. In additiona, several of us walked the walk in the areas where Sara was reportedly being seen. Tim Brooks, a retired Sheriff's Deputy, and his wife Susan, went out to the area where Sara was being seen, and actually found tracks which we felt were Sara's. John and I borrowed a cage/trap from County animal regulations, and my angel husband staked out the area where Sara was seen. We scented the cage with Nick's clothes and put food inside the cage in the hopes of getting Sara inside. She ignored it the first few nights - then on the 4th night she reached up and grabbed Nick's clothes and ran off with them. Then her collar disappeared although John didn't actually see Sara take it. Sara actually went inside the cage but not all the way and backed out - the cage was the kind where the animal had to go all the way in and step on a metal plate which would activate the shut door mechanism. John was waiting for her to return from her usual rounds and felt confident that this time she would actually go inside the cage all the way inasmuch as she had seemingly "made friends" with it. Sadly, it wasn't to be and Sara got run over as she was crossing the road on her way back to her hiding place.

[img]/animals/sara1.jpg[/img]
We were called - John and Tim met the Oxnard Police Dept., with Sara at the Pet Emergency and then after being stabilized she was transported to the Veterinarian Medical & Surgical Group in Ventura where she remains today. Dr. Dulish is her doctor.

Sara is paralyzed in the lower extremities and not expected to be able to walk naturally again. However, she is young, alert, eating and drinking well, and is extremely good natured and sweet, giving lots of kisses and licks. She is also showing inquisitiveness at her surroundings. Sara may not regain any use of her bowel and bladder functions and may require manual expulsion of urine and feces. She is a big girl - 80 pounds before being injured, a little less now. Given her age and disposition Dr. Dulish feels Sara may be a good cart dog and lead a happy life PROVIDED THAT a good (no, exceptional) home be found for her, one which will provide with her with the walks and exercise in her cart that she will need on a daily basis, and of course someone able to assist with her urinary and bowel function needs. AND, OF COURSE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE!

[img]/animals/cart.jpg[/img]
Nick, her owner, is heartsick that he cannot have her back - however, Nick's wife has her hands full with taking care of a heavily disabled husband - she cannot take on the extra responsibility of a disabled dog even though Nick would be beside himself if he could get her back. Nick sincerely wants to find a wonderful situatuion for Sara - he doesn't want to have her put to sleep, and IU have tolkd him we are doing everything we can. I took the liberty of telling him you had called - and he is so grateful. Nick is comforted by the doctor's assurance that Sara is not in pain.

[img]/animals/cart2.jpg[/img]
So that's it in a nutshell (albeit a rather large nutshell) - John will e-mail you the photos when he gets in.

Thank you so much for all of your help and for yours and Richard's donation. We are also looking forward to seeing the tapes you are sending. We think your husband is the funniest man on the planet - the movies he made especially the ones with Gene Wilder, are classics! We feel privileged to make yours and his acquaintance.

Thank you.

Sincerely,
Barbara & John K.
koda

Re: THIS IS ALL ABOUT LOVE AND ONLY LOVE

Post by koda »

Jennifer,
This is so tragic it made me cry...I will keep Sara and her family in my prayers...I so hope a loving home can be found for her. It's so generous and wonderful of you and Richard to help! Luv n hugz!
Those who laugh...LIVE!
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

FUNDS NEEDED TO CONTINUE TO PAY FOR SARA'S CARE AND POSSIBLE FURTHER SURGERY:

DONATIONS MAY BE SENT TO:(make checks payable to SARA'S FUND)

BARBARA KERKHOFF
5636 LA CUMBRE ROAD
SOMIS, CA 93066

OR

VETERINARY MEDICAL AND SURGICAL GROUP
2227 PORTOLA ROAD
VENTURA, CA 93003
bingolong
King of the Smilies

Post by bingolong »

Jennifer,
Word!!!Will do.
Trudy,
You really did put that link in your emails ,Right On!!
I went to Zimbabwe. I know how white people feel in America now; relaxed! Cause when I heard the police car I knew they weren't coming after me! 
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

bingolong,
Thank you---
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

AVIS CAR RENTAL ROCK!
They were having a hard time getting a company that would allow a one way drop off....Avis came through...the only one!!!Sara now will be able to get to her new home in Helena, Montana!!! AVIS-YOU ROCK!
>
> AVIS - the Car Rental with a Heart!!!!
>
> They're renting us an SUV which we can drop off at Helena Airport, no drop off charge. And, they're probably going to use the Sara story in their advertising!!
>
>
>
> When things are meant to be, they fall into place.
>
> Best,
>
> Barbara ):)
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

GREAT NEWS!!

Dear Jennifer, Joyce, Cathie & Joanne:

This is to let you know that Miss Sara in the company of new Dad (Richard) and Godfather (John) left Ventura this morning, in an especially decked out SUV from Avis (complete with special bed, mattress, pillows, linens and her toys, plus a travelling package from the Veterinary Group), heading for Helena, Montana, to her new home. Richard had spent all day yesterday, as well as Thursday afternoon, and this morning before they left, bonding with Miss Sara who was quite happy to snuzzle up against him.....she's a snuzzle puppy!!.
Madelon, one of our biggest helpers, had bought a Feng Shui pendant for Sara which Madelon placed on her collar before they left this morning.

Will let you know when they arrive.

Love,

Barbara
bcddjjsc690

Post by bcddjjsc690 »

Jennifer,& astonamous, This good news truly makes my day ,
Your efforts to bring this story to light,and get it resolved in such a positive way is Inspirational.!!!
I wish you continued success in your efforts to make life on this planet better for all of God's Creatures.
I wish you Strength to fight your battles,
I wish you peaceful rest when you are weary.
I wish you everything, you wish for yourselves..
):) ):) ):)
"you must be out-cho god-dammed mind "
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

bcddjjsc690,
and now you are enlisted in the struggle for rights- for all living creatures...humans included ,,,compassion for all...

"BE WITHOUT FEAR IN THE FACE OF YOUR ENEMIES. SPEAK THE TRUTH, ALWAYS, EVEN IT IT LEADS TO YOUR DEATH. SAFEGUARD THE HELPLESS. THAT IS YOUR OATH."

This is a quote i have found recently, and love...and hope and intend to live by... my husband has taught me much about courage... :-x
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Hi Jennifer:

They have arrived!!! Sara is sitting in the living room, at Richard's feet, while dispensing licks and kisses to Barbara (Richard's wife) and their daughter (Linda), while they're stroking her.
She has already explored their back yard in her cart, and she knows how to scoot herself around on her rear end!! They'll probably have to put something on her rear to protect it.
They absolutely love her.....and she has bonded with Richard just over the two day journey and the two days he spent with her before they took off.

I am so happy, I could cry - and am - so I'm going to have myself a piece of English fruitcake and a nice cup of tea. John is going to stay in Montana tomorrow (Monday) to take photos of everyone including the star of the proceedings........and he'll fly back on Tuesday.

I am just overcome with happy fuzzies....bless you for everything you did for us.....without your generosity we would never had had the outreach.....bless you........and I'm looking forward to meeting you one of these days soon.....

In the meantime, thank you a million times over... love to you and Richard...

Love
Barbara