American Gangster

Richard loved going to the movies...
So do we. Who doesn't like music?

Moderators: bingolong, Jennifer, tamra

Forum rules
Spam is not allowed. All spammers will be blocked and reported to appropriate agencies.
Anditsdeeptoo

American Gangster

Post by Anditsdeeptoo »

Decent movie, flowed well for a movie nearly 3 hours long. The movie deviates from the reality of what occured in the early 70's with Frank Lucas, but according to most sources, Frank Lucas' memory deviates from reality just the same.

My only problem with the movie is that it never really conveyed the idea that Frank Lucas was a participant in a genocide in Harlem. The movie actually attempts to make you root for the man.

I was conflicted leaving the theatre, but thoroughly entertained.
Pryor's Planet Volunteer Extraordinaire

Re: American Gangster

Post by tamra »

Anditsdeeptoo,

I wasn't gonna post nothing because this is a personal subject for me - my life was turned upside down by drug dealer worshippers (The Larry Davis Story), so I know how many in urban community feel about folks like Lucas.

it was a great movie. but unfortunately, blacks in Harlem see Lucas as a hero. when the "(partial because feds admitted their role) conspiracy theory CIA poured heroin in Watts and other black neighborhoods" is brought up, black people want to complain and distrust cops of TODAY. but nobody forced people @ gunpoint to use heroin.

but a black man can make millions pouring heroin into community and he's a hero. and look at Harlem now, being gentrified like a motherfucker. no black buying power whatsoever. @.@

and more people believe the bullshit Larry Davis story: that he was set up by cops to deal and cops were coming to assassinate Davis. not only did I personally meet Davis, and spent almost a year talking with him and members of his family and friends Davis grew up with, I saw the cops affected by the nonsense being sold to urban communities who will testify that Davis was a hero. @.@ yet I discovered the truth right from Davis and his niece directly. but niggas don't wanna hear it. @.@ black media is even lying to promote sales of the fake Larry Davis story, produced by a protege of Davis and Guy Fisher, another infamous Harlem drug dealer who ran with Nicky Barnes.

good fucking work Al Sharpton, who also supports Davis.

I walked away from American Gangster w/the utmost admiration for Ritchie Roberts. it takes a lot of character to do the right thing when everyone around is doing wrong. and it's never too late to do the right thing.

I didn't admire Lucas for going all the way thru jungles of Vietnam, I saw a classic opportunist filled w/greed @ anybody's expense - which is an easy low road to take.

but playing right along side Amer. Gangster @ same theater was Mr. Untouchable, Nicky Barnes' documentary story done by Damon Dash. another one deemed a hero in urban communities.

and the most important message of movie is missed by drug dealer worshippers: crime bosses are dead, in jail, or bankrupt after jail. or living like T.I. or 50 Cent - always watching their back and strapped to the nine w/bodyguards in tow. @.@

I don't get it, when did degenerates who'd kill anybody for a buck become heroes?? can you imagine Dr. King going to the White House strapped while drug dealing trying to make a case about government regulated segregation? we'd all be picking cotton right now.

okay closing this lost cause can-o-worms. @.@

but I'm black living in and around urban areas for the 1st time and am ashamed of what I see and hear.
---
huh? what? who? damn, I'm always the last to know.
Murphdogg
Foot Kisser

Post by Murphdogg »

tamra, That was deep. I'm guilty of not so much being a fan of gangsters but being way too interested in them. They are no better or wors then tabacco execs.
Shane God Damned Murphy

shanescomedy.com
tamra
Pryor's Planet Volunteer Extraordinaire

Post by tamra »

Murphdogg,

that is true. but you don't see mofo's running around in Al Capone shirts, or Hoffa jackets/hats, or any Dillinger gear. :lol: G-Unit stuff, Scarface (w/Al Pacino image) stuff and now Larry Davis stuff is being worn religiously. although Scarface was fictional, he's admired by the same drug dealing worshippers who rock the G-Unit gear.

and I'm very intrigued by their stories, but not as examples to live by which is what is happening to kids today. every child influenced the wrong way thinks, "oh imma be smarter than them because i see where they fucked up". but ends up creating a dog eat dog world of their own.

even white collar criminals - same thing: where there's large amounts of money, somebody got burned to get it, and something will come back to bite in ass eventually.

that's why Oprah is my friend :lol: ya see how she keeps the feds off her ass. :lol:
---
huh? what? who? damn, I'm always the last to know.
Murphdogg
Foot Kisser

Post by Murphdogg »

tamra, cause we teach nothing but greed.
Shane God Damned Murphy

shanescomedy.com