Letterman or Leno?

Discussions about comedians and comedy in general go here.

Moderators: bingolong, Jennifer, tamra

Forum rules
Spam is not allowed. All spammers will be blocked and reported to appropriate agencies.
EddieHill

Re: Letterman or Leno?

Post by EddieHill »

tamra,
You know it is almost time for Jesus to come back, Letterman got laid, and I am still sober! :lol:
benderbroeth

Post by benderbroeth »

EddieHill,
i love watching leno then conan then fergusan...craig is awesome!!!but i cant stand letterman or even worse fallon.
smjmcomic

Post by smjmcomic »

Jimmy Kimmel!!

I like them all but I have been of a fan of Kimmel's since the days he was "Jimmy The Sports Guy" on KLOSfm.

To be honset I watch the late show with the best guest that given night.
"I'm on the Zoloft to keep from killing y'all"

Mike Tyson
benderbroeth

Post by benderbroeth »

smjmcomic,
that makes sense.
EddieHill

Post by EddieHill »

smjmcomic,
Jimmy is cool. Did you ever watch Wally George`s Hot Seat? It was crazy.
tamra
Pryor's Planet Volunteer Extraordinaire

Post by tamra »

smjmcomic,

yea Kimmel is always hilarious. :lol: I love his spoofs.

but benderbroeth,
how can you hate Letterman? aww man. :( I guess that's why each person has their own comedy preference

but just realizing that now you can catch Leno, then Letterman or really DVR them all. Fallon is still holding his own, esp. w/the college crowd. his parodies are still funny.
---
huh? what? who? damn, I'm always the last to know.
tamra

Post by tamra »

EddieHill,
yup Letterman had a love den. I'd better get cracking to see if I can out love his den :lol: ooooh no, Mr. Open Heart Surgery ain't out-doing me (pardon the pun) :lol:
---
tamra

Post by tamra »

whodathunk that a little over a year later, all this Leno-Conan-Letterman shit would unfold??

I say Leno should have bowed out. he should remember how Letterman was screwed over when he originally took the job. I haven't watched Leno at 10 or 11:30. I'm sticking w/Letterman and Conan.

but what a way to get fucked over huh? over $30 million dollars and Conan didn't even have to sleep w/ anyone :lol:

but did anyone catch Seth Meyers discussing this last week. hilarious: now Jimmy Fallon is gonna come back to SNL and take my job :lol:
---
tamra

Post by tamra »

Conan & Letterman are killing it. the etch-a-sketch comment was hysterical :lol: I'm gonna miss this late night war. too funny
---
SJD

Post by SJD »

tamra,

This whole comotion has certainly been very entertaining. But it seem history might be repeating itself. Now I wasn't young enough to remember the last one. But all I heard is that Leno took the Tonight Show from Letterman. Hid in a closet, what not. The way I saw him was this good dude so nice whatever. Then I heard him say alll was not true.

TAVIS SMILEY | Guest: Jay Leno - Letterman | PBS

But heard everbody else say otherwise in entertainment: shows, comedians, etc.
So Now Conan was to get the tonight show, and did, like a hiccup. From what I remember in '04 Conan was being offered show well just watch this.......

Jay Leno's 2004 Announcement handing Conan The Tonight Show

good friendships were permanently damaged and I don't want to see anybody have to go through that again......gee that just sticks out

Conan's 2004 Announcement
Conan's 2004 Announcement - watch more funny videos

Now all of that seems to be getting more iffy. It seems Jay was being pushed out and I thought it wasn't nice. But I thought well maybe he can get all the bad behind him. I now in Rolling Stone Dave agreed to invite Jay and said he'd like to have him on first night out the job. Then Jay got another Show at 10 and Conan again fallowed. Well I guess at least Conan had the Tonight Show title but fallowing Jay.
First couple of weeks he was #1. Then Sarah Palin got all 'butt hurt' (a phrase I am use to here in my part of north eastern AZ, could have came from something else, what I'm use to it's meaning is that one who gets angry like a child with a tantrum (when someone uses their favorite batman glass or doesn't take to well to some teasing) and overblows a situation. Or as I got older and with my now more somewhat grown, imature young man, hormone driven, brain in the gutter kind of guy/boy, thought that it would mean the aftermath from the act of rear bumping. To each his own. So she got all butt hurt and it seemed to bring attention and ratings toward Letterman ala Hugh Grant-ish type of deal. And here came Jay and Conan's rating's seemed to lower a bit more. Now that didn't work out and they said NBC wanted to give jay back his time slot, for 30 minutes, and agian Conan fallows. Very insulting. So Conan wrote a letter. From what I could see two things were going to happen Conan just leaves or Jay would wake up, say he would finally step down and bow out gracefully, and from what Jay said the other night said 'NBC asked me if Conan leaves you want your show back?...I said Yeah. As long as my staff keeps working. Fine.' He got the show back.
Now what he said there using his staff there, that is a bit odd there. Sounds like an excuse, and I am not being cold here, hear me out. To break it down, when he stops working his staff will automatically be left in the steets with nothing. He won't fight NBC to give his staff money they got screwed out of, no he just leaves and cant do anything about it. Odd.
If he wanted to keep his staff working he should've left NBC go elsewhere get another show, he had the TONIGHT Show, 17-18 years, not seven months, at #1, took 3 years to get there too, keep his staff, and show NBC they shouldn't have done that. And if he seriouly considered just retiring (from show hosting) and not continuing with another show he could fight NBC to get the money his staff needs to get by, and then some, until they get another job. I'm pretty sure Johnny's staff had to move on or got some kind of severance. Or even doing it all himself, Jay with his 800 mil of company $ (he says he never touches). Hell if he never touches it he could give each of his 175+ staff, round that to 200 employees', a mil each. Still left with 600 mil, hell even 2 mil each, sure they woudn't mind that, still left with 400 mil. But no he don't or hasn't done that. So on comes the akwardness.

Again this is not that I hate or even dislike Jay but it really makes me feel uncomfortable. Conan's wanted to keep all his staff with him and got them to up root their lives in NY to come to LA. Got his own Tonight Show studio built specifically for him. Jay has to be aware of this is a staff too.

So I guess Jay won't be able to become a guess and make up with Letterman, Now it seems Conan is included, gonna take another 15-20 years for things to be forgotten or cooled. I thought it wasn't really true that didn't happen that way to Dave, but now it's hard not to see something going on....... possibably. It will be hard to try and watch Jay again. Who knows what will happen in the next year or couple of months. These guys(late night hosts) are all rich so no real bad going on. All this not talking to each other (Jay, Dave..... maybe Conan) has to be eating at him. Sure Dave could come back and just break the silence and be friends, but it's understandable why you wouldn't do that. Have a friend and some sort of shit, similar to this, goes down you wouldn't let them do this and brush it off.

Now this could be a good thing. Maybe Conan can do what Johnny and Dave did, create something new and all his own, leave the tonight show to Jay, at least there was Carson (Johnny not the Daly), he had more than a minute which is allright.
What sucks is that all these supposed middle america, old folks ( Jay's target audience), will be missing out on Conan. They say Jay's Tonight Show humor is to plain, not new, and that's what they like and are use to. No I don''t think so. I felt they would come around and get and enjoy his type of humor, but who knows now. They say he might go to FOX and get Arsenio's old time slot 11:00pm. At that time The Daily Show and Colbert Report are on. They got the youth crowd Conan has, and some say there will be a battle there........ on the east coast that is. Hell, they say HBO is interested maybe. Would certainly give him free range to do whatever (the Masturbating Bear no longer needs to masturbate. He could have someone there finally. Or dare I say... gets rid of that diaper, or underwear thing. Scary)
So there goes grandma and old mcdonald.
Or cable too like comedy central after the daily show etc. But Then He'd be on later again.... on the east coast.
They have been saying that all the new censoring, to withold and restrain what they use to do on Late Night, let them be creative and do something new with that. So if he brought that to HBO or cable what would be the point..... I keed. So who knows. There is alot of Jay hate now, and I wouldn't go that far, but it'll be weird and uncomfortable for me to watch Jay. If you ever watched Conan's last Late Night show, you would see him just thanking Jay saying all these good things and pouring his heart out. That's what makes it uncomfortable about Leno.

But there are more important things out there and everyones attention seems to be on this late night battle more than Hati. These are millionairs so it ain't all that bad just titles being tarnished (Tonight Show)....supposedly. At least Conan is using this time to bring more focus in that direction.

NBC fucked up!

Sorry if I went on too long, had to get it out of my system I suppose.

here is something to lighten your days......

.........Conan is FUNNY...Don't miss out!

[hr] This quote comes from a self description of one of the greatest wrestlers there is,[BR] Bret " The Hitman " Hart, and it very well is what Mr. Richard Pryor is to stand-up...

" The Best There Is...
The Best There Was...
and The Best There Ever Will Be!"