George Carlin left us tonight

Discussions about comedians and comedy in general go here.

Moderators: bingolong, Jennifer, tamra

Forum rules
Spam is not allowed. All spammers will be blocked and reported to appropriate agencies.
abnormalandbitchy

Re: George Carlin left us tonight

Post by abnormalandbitchy »

tamra,
Funny we must all be thinking the same thing as this convo took place last night between a friend and I

Beautifully Broken (6/23/2008 10:21:16 PM): Just hanging on the Richard Pryor site you should join with me and hang with me
Beautifully Broken (6/23/2008 10:22:51 PM): www.richardpryor.com come on yah know ya wanna .. why because we can say whatever the fuck ya want
James Morgan (6/23/2008 10:23:19 PM): lol
Beautifully Broken (6/23/2008 10:28:18 PM): its now our job to make others laugh ...
Beautifully Broken (6/23/2008 10:28:36 PM): we are alone in this job now .. I want george and richard back and damn sam to
James Morgan (6/23/2008 10:28:52 PM): and rodney!
Beautifully Broken (6/23/2008 10:29:27 PM): Yeah He got no respect
James Morgan (6/23/2008 10:29:38 PM): mmhmm, even in hell
Beautifully Broken (6/23/2008 10:32:21 PM): what are we gonna do
James Morgan (6/23/2008 10:34:10 PM): i dunno, sacrifice dane cook and dave chapelle in order to resurrect george and richard
Beautifully Broken (6/23/2008 10:34:52 PM): Fuckin right!

We keep losing all the great all the ones who like was said make us laugh and make us think... The laughter is fade fast and it suck monkey nutts!

Fuckin hell has JTF not got laid yet! that poor bastard bless his lil heart. At my trial yall better come to my defense let em know what the real deal was! HA!
Behind every beautiful thing there is some kind of pain - Bob Dylan
tamra
Pryor's Planet Volunteer Extraordinaire

Post by tamra »

abnormalandbitchy,

hey I'm your alibi and a priest plus 3 local D.A.'s and give or take 25 feds are my alibis. so what the feds are just members of the FDA who test my weed, we got you covered! ;)
---
huh? what? who? damn, I'm always the last to know.
Anditsdeeptoo

Post by Anditsdeeptoo »

We've lost the King, now Carlin.... Yet we can't get Dane Cook to walk in front of a bus?

Post by robfharris »

I will use one of the 'seven words' to express my feelings at this loss...

FUCK
Now that Johnnie's gone, I guess I should start being nice to the cops.
EddieHill

Post by EddieHill »

smjmcomic, Richard Pryor, George Carlin, Red Fox, Gene Tracy and Red Skeletin is the short list of my all time favorite comics that are with me in my memories of laughing out of control. George inspired us little kids to pass milk through our noses and belch and fart in our classrooms and too anoy our teachers by being class clowns.
abnormalandbitchy

Post by abnormalandbitchy »

EddieHill,
Red Skeletin - My fav skit of all time from him is the Old man and his wife visiting the Effile tower damn that shit was funny as hell!!
Behind every beautiful thing there is some kind of pain - Bob Dylan
Murphdogg
Foot Kisser

Post by Murphdogg »

Anditsdeeptoo,
LMFAO!!!!!!! b.b
Shane God Damned Murphy

shanescomedy.com
SJD

Post by SJD »

Murphdogg and all,

Yeah I heard this too. Very sad. He and Richard were it. I saw his last HBO special and yeah it was funny and really angry. But hey that who he was so I knew what was coming. I heard him in an interview say that he wasn't an athiest, agnostic, or nihilist(don't know if that's spelt right), because it was still a belief. Man he was strict.

Man I know that you can't joke about rape but....well here.
'They'll say, "you can't joke about rape. Rape's not funny."I can prove to you that rape is funny. Picture Porky Pig raping Elmer Fudd. See, hey why do you think they call him "Porky," eh?'- George Carlin

Of course he'll be let in up there along with Richard and all. All he did was talk and he kept it funny, didn't kill(except w/ laughter). And that ain't bad. Very very funny guy next to Richard.

God Bless George Carlin (even though he wasn't a fan)... rest in peace.

I heard this somewhere and it had me laughing and it is that where ever it's rainning really hard that's Richard, Rodney, and George up there making them all piss themselves.

Here's what Kevin Smith (a devout catholic: see we can get along) had to say about the man who was a regular of sorts in his films a great influence.

[Font size=3 face=a color=navy]‘A God Who Cussed’

Director Kevin Smith remembers George Carlin

They say you should never meet your heroes. I’ve found this a good rule to live by, but as with any rule, there’s always an exception.

My first exposure to George Carlin was in 1982, when HBO aired his “Carlin at Carnegie” stand-up special. When I saw the advert—featuring a clip of Carlin talking about the clichéd criminal warning of “Don’t try anything funny,” and then adding, “When they’re not looking, I like to go …,” followed by a brief explosion of goofy expressions and pantomime—I immediately asked my parents if I could tape it on our new BetaMax video recorder.

That was a hilarious bit. But when I finally watched the special, Carlin blew my doors off. Whether he was spinning a yarn about Tippy, his farting dog, or analyzing the contents of his fridge, Carlin expressed himself not only humorously, but amazingly eloquently as well. I was, as they say, in stitches.

And that was before he got to the Seven Words You Can’t Say on Television.

I was 12 years old, watching a man many years my senior curse a blue streak while exposing the hypocrisy of a medium (and a society) that couldn’t deal with the public usage of terms they probably employed regularly in their private lives. And while he seemed to revel in being a rebel, here was a man who also clearly loved the English language, warts and all—even the so-called “bad words” (although, as George would say, there are no such things as “bad words”). I wouldn’t say George Carlin taught me obscenities, but I would definitely say he taught me that the casual use of obscenities wasn’t reserved just for drunken sailors, as the old chestnut goes; even intelligent people were allowed to incorporate them into their everyday conversations (because George was nothing if not intelligent).

From that moment forward, I was an instant Carlin disciple. I bought every album, watched every HBO special, and even sat through “The Prince of Tides” just because he played a small role in the film. I spent years turning friends on to the Cult of Carlin, the World According to George, and even made pilgrimages to see him perform live (the first occasion being a gig at Farleigh Dickinson University in 1988). Carlin influenced my speech and my writing. Carlin replaced Catholicism as my religion.

Sixteen years later, I sat across from the star of “Carlin at Carnegie” in the dining room of the Four Seasons Hotel in Los Angeles. It was a meeting I’d dreamed of and dreaded simultaneously. George Carlin was the type of social observer/critic I most wanted to emulate … but he was a celebrity, too. What if he turned out to be a true prick?

What I quickly discovered was that, in real life, George was, well, George. Far from a self-obsessed jerk, he was mild-mannered enough to be my Dad. He was as interested as he was interesting, well-read and polite to a fault—all while casually dropping F-bombs. But most impressive, he didn’t treat me like an audience member, eschewing actual conversation, electing instead to simply perform the whole meeting, more “on” than real. He talked to me like one of my friends would talk to me: familiar, unguarded, authentic.

I made three films with George over the course of the next six years, starting with “Dogma” and his portrayal of Cardinal Glick, the pontiff-publicist responsible for the Catholic Church’s recall of the standard crucifix in favor of the more congenial, bubbly “Buddy Christ.” A few years later, I wrote him a lead role in “Jersey Girl”—as Bart Trinke (or “Pop”), the father of Ben Affleck’s character. It called for a more dramatic performance than George was used to giving, but the man pulled it off happily and beautifully. (Something most folks probably don’t know about George: He took acting very seriously. The man was almost a Method actor.) Sadly, I consider that “Jersey Girl” part my one failing on George’s behalf, and not for the reasons most would assume (the movie was not reviewed kindly, to say the least). No, I failed because George had asked me to write a different role for him.

In 2001, George did me a solid when he accepted the part of the orally fixated hitchhiker who knew exactly how to get a ride in “Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back.” When he wrapped his scene in that flick, I thanked him for making the time, and he said, “Just do me a favor: Write me my dream role one day.” When I inquired what that’d be, he offered, “I wanna play a priest who strangles children.”

It was a classic Carlin thing to say: a little naughty and a lot honest. I always figured there’d be time to give George what he asked for. Unfortunately, he left too soon.

He was, and will likely remain, the smartest person I’ve ever met. But really, he was much more than just a person. Without a hint of hyperbole, I can say he was a god, a god who cussed.
[/font]
[hr] This quote comes from a self description of one of the greatest wrestlers there is,[BR] Bret " The Hitman " Hart, and it very well is what Mr. Richard Pryor is to stand-up...

" The Best There Is...
The Best There Was...
and The Best There Ever Will Be!"
Anditsdeeptoo

Post by Anditsdeeptoo »

SJD,

wow thanks for posting that... You can definitely see the Carlin influence in Kevin Smith's work.
King of the Smilies

Post by bingolong »

SJD,Man where di you find that? I have been wondering what Kevin Smith's thoughts would be. Thanks for posting.

“I wanna play a priest who strangles children.”
:lol: :lol: :lol:

By the way Jersey Girl wasnt a bad movie....Carlin had a great part and I wish he would had the chance to show that side more
I went to Zimbabwe. I know how white people feel in America now; relaxed! Cause when I heard the police car I knew they weren't coming after me!