RICHARD PRYOR TO BE FEATURED ON ADULT SWIM'S BLACK DYNAMITE

Tell us why you love Richard Pryor so much. Send Richard your love messages.

Moderators: bingolong, Jennifer, tamra

Forum rules
Spam is not allowed. All spammers will be blocked and reported to appropriate agencies.
bingolong
King of the Smilies

RICHARD PRYOR TO BE FEATURED ON ADULT SWIM'S BLACK DYNAMITE

Post by bingolong »

http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/12/showbiz/t ... index.html - RICHARD PRYOR TO BE FEATURED ON ADULT SWIM'S BLACK DYNAMITE'

Here is an excerpt :

"[/i]In one episode, Black Dynamite is hired to make sure comedian Richard Pryor shows up for a scheduled performance. In the story, Pryor is distraught because audiences automatically laugh at him, making it hard to offer serious social commentary.
"I wanted to take another perspective on Richard as a human being," Jones said. "Richard never wanted to be funny. He had something to say. He was a storyteller. He was a teacher to me."[/i]
I went to Zimbabwe. I know how white people feel in America now; relaxed! Cause when I heard the police car I knew they weren't coming after me! 
robfharris

Re: RICHARD PRYOR TO BE FEATURED ON ADULT SWIM'S BLACK DYNAMITE

Post by robfharris »

bingolong,
Okay... what does everyone think of this episode?
Now that Johnnie's gone, I guess I should start being nice to the cops.
bingolong
King of the Smilies

Post by bingolong »

robfharris,
Ok.alot of thoughts and mixed emotions so bare with me:

..as a superfan I was wanting it to sound, look, and embody Richard and honor his legacy a lot better... I wanted it to be the Richard Pryor...I wanted to see Mudbone... this was just a caricature.Eddie Griffith had a lot of expressions right but still it was Eddie Griffith .I'm sure for the passing fan it was super funny like the MJ episode a few weeks ago. It followed the tone the show has set in the past few episodes..but on first watch I was slightly offended. MJ died recently, Since Richard Pryor was out of the game last ten or so years of his life I was hoping for extension of him...but I have to realize there was only one Richard Pryor...watched a second time this morn and enjoyed it more...and laughed a lot both times...and in the end glad he was acknowledged
"This ain't Gene Wilder This Black Dynamite
I went to Zimbabwe. I know how white people feel in America now; relaxed! Cause when I heard the police car I knew they weren't coming after me! 
robfharris

Post by robfharris »

bingolong,
Sorry for the late reply... I took it as not dealing with Richard but how Hollywood eats up Black talent. A lot of brothers and sisters are not ever prepared for that level of success. It is one thing to be eccentric another thing to lose your mind! I do not think Richard completely lost it, but it was interesting to pick Richard as the representation of Black talent being used up for profits.

I think there was a level of respect to Richard in the process of telling that story. I will have to look at it again because it played as a classic tragedy. There was humor with a sadness as a back drop. To know your demons, have the resources to deal with them, have access to the remedies, but those around you that seem as though they should be vested in your long term success are the ones feeding your demons.

Again sorry for the delay... Got a son now 8 months old. A bunch of energy but cool as ever!!!!
Now that Johnnie's gone, I guess I should start being nice to the cops.
bingolong
King of the Smilies

Post by bingolong »

robfharris,
CONGRATS MAN!! I am way out of the loop man!!! :(