A Journey on the road with my buddy Spirit!

Tell us why you love dogs. If you hate dogs, get the fuck out.

Moderators: bingolong, Jennifer, tamra

Forum rules
Spam is not allowed. All spammers will be blocked and reported to appropriate agencies.
Beemerchef

Re: A Journey on the road with my buddy Spirit!

Post by Beemerchef »

[img]http://beemerchef.smugmug.com/photos/i- ... wstV-M.jpg[/img]

More of “Carrizozo” and “Chaco Canyon”. NM

This vast space has touched us. Carrizozo is till fresh in my mind, the quaint feel and friendliness of the locals, the proximity of so many new roads, all makes me want to make it an “Oasis” for us next winter. Will see! Maybe. As everything else on this Journey of ours. “Chaco Canyon” where we also spend a few days, well, none has yet sank in due to the enormity of what we encountered. The past remains of a Culture so intense, the many dwellings standing and preserved from an era when yet “metal tools” where just not around.

“Old Faithful” is up and running. The anticipation of the repairs dollar amount was a shock, of course, like everything else, yet, it has been done right and can only hope many new miles are in store ahead of us.
To compound it all however half of our camping gear has been stolen from one night in Albuquerque, simply lifted off “Old Faithful”, another shock, another setback.
Sometimes the skies open up and the storms drop to no end. That is how it right now feels as we try to move on toward Flagstaff. Check out our Merchandise section...
Enjoy the photos, the roads. On we go for more... Trying!

Be well, always.

Ara and Spirit

www.theoasisofmysoul.com The Journal
www.beemerchef.smugmug.com The Photos
www.store.theoasisofmysoul.com The Recipes

www.printfection.com/spiritedoasis T Shirts and more

5 years, the Stars, living under them…
Beemerchef

Post by Beemerchef »

[img]http://beemerchef.smugmug.com/photos/i- ... bPSC-M.jpg[/img]

Without a “Philosophy of Life...” AZ

Unusually have not been here in a while. A couple entries on the Journal, the one before last with many more Photos of "Chaco Canyon".Between playing hide and seek with some return and sending oil hoses which were wrong four times [outside vendor], picking up then “Old Faithful” to ride it and trust it, moving on here to the “Mormon Lake” area near Flagstaff, Spirit a bit under the weather with a Vet that wanted a series of expensive tests... Life on the road seems to finally lighten up for a breather before Overland Expo starting in a couple of days.
I had no idea this area is so beautiful and plentiful of unpaved but very well maintained roads. Cool weather throughout the days, cold as we [at least I !!!] like it.
I am slowly trusting this new [for us] engine, the feel is different, stronger of course with only it's 30,000 miles.
There will be a big crowd at Overland Expo, many Friends we only see once a year, some maybe twice. Lots of cooking, chatting, giving a “One~Pan” cooking Class for all the three days. Traveling without refrigeration as we do... simple and clean and good.
There will be I am sure many photos from all attending vehicles, maybe a couple videos, the area is huge. Much excitement ahead I must say...
Till next time. Enjoy the Photos from “Mountainair” all the way to “Mormon Lake” including “Pie-Town”.

Be well, always.

Ara and Spirit

Beemerchef

Post by Beemerchef »

[img]http://beemerchef.smugmug.com/photos/i- ... 7gwz-M.jpg[/img]

All Roads lead to Overland Expo. AZ

The dust has settled from days amongst an Epic wave of vehicles, people, Friends camping with, names which now have faces, dogs, classes, movies and more as I am sure I am forgetting something. Cooking! This Year's Overland Expo was larger than ever, it was an amazing array with everyone present living a common denominator : The Outdoors.
We had arrived early, amazed with the Coconino National Forest and it's hundreds of miles of well maintained unpaved roads and the bonus of some very cool weather. I always feel so ignorant as with in past years “Big Bend”, this stage also was a big green space on the map I had never quite paid much attention to.
Such discovery always makes me smile when I am asked at times “so what are you going to do when you are done?”. One is never done, only rests a few days as it was last weekend.
We are now on our way to Colorado in search for more such roads, elevation and cool weather. It is there awaiting.
Enjoy the many Photos of some truly incredible vehicles. There will be more, the camera did not rest too long.

Be well,

Ara and Spirit.

http://www.printfection.com/spiritedoasis T Shirts and more

Beemerchef

Post by Beemerchef »

[img]http://beemerchef.smugmug.com/photos/i- ... ZvM4-L.jpg[/img]

Looks like "we are" doing it. AZ

The dust has settled from this past weekend amongst a sea of many Souls everyone on the path of their own direction. Ours will take off tomorrow when we head North for months seeking more beauty, calm days, cooler weather and if lucky isolated spaces with a creek. I know it is awaiting for us. Faith in Life within this direction taken. I am thinking about backtracking a bit and heading out through New Mexico to experience the "Bisti Badlands" if the heat does not chase us away. It has been a bit of a numb week following all the recent past excitements. My sleeping bag has been replaced as also cooking stove and miscellaneous items. As more time goes on I feel as cutting back more and more the luggage volume. Devising different scenarios. Who needs all this! Simplicity is always so much less to try lug around. Anything we have not used for a year or more. Yet, Murphy's Law might prove to the contrary as soon as leaving some items behind. Who was Murphy?
More Photos of Overland Expo on the Journal. Enjoy.

Be well,

Ara and Spirit.

http://www.printfection.com/spiritedoasis T Shirts and more

Beemerchef

Post by Beemerchef »

[img]http://beemerchef.smugmug.com/photos/i- ... 6x2N-L.jpg[/img]

Summertime roads... CO

This is the time, the months, these precious moments when being in between four walls with a nice wifi connection is truly rare. These are the times chasing cool weather at high elevations meaning lost on some dirt road opening into a meadow reflecting the blue skies staging the pure and white clouds chasing each other. Sometimes blended with grays by the end of the days. Once in a while, as today, we find us a nice Library as here in “Lake City”, Colorado, and the communication again opens up, catching up on the well being of others, of Friends and acquaintances. I am seeing and feeling Colorado as never before. Maybe as every year that goes by new senses develop? I don't remember the colors so bright and so intense. I don't remember seeing so many unpaved roads going right and left. Posts keep going up on our Journal, we do have a great Webmaster, he makes it so easy for us. New Photos, thoughts, that is what these past years have been about... many thoughts. Maybe too many.
Talk soon and be well... we will be in Colorado for a while, the price of fuel is not much of our Friend lately!

Be well, always.

Ara and Spirit

Beemerchef

Post by Beemerchef »

[img]http://beemerchef.smugmug.com/photos/i- ... H8r5-M.jpg[/img]

4th of July, a Rodeo, Friends and Nature’s Fireworks. WY.

No lack of excitement these days. Staying above 9000 feet, trying to and leaving only when Mother Nature decides to throw in her own Fireworks. Spectacular I must say when witnessing Mountains blowing up at Brooks Lake. A little Parade in a little town called Dubois, a Rodeo in another little town called Lander, all this is taking place in Wyoming. Brooks Lake up to the moment when the Mountain erupted only 9 miles from us has been one of the best space found with cool temperatures and many off chute roads we yet have to ride them all. Snow was even present when we arrived. I saw it as free ice even !
Tomorrow starts another leg in the Journey. Salem, Oregon to pick up... ( another surprise for now!) and on to Leavenworth, Washington, for a couple cooking Classes with the combined efforts of Snow Peak and Overland Journal.
One day at the time. Schedules? Never... We try not to anyhow.
Enjoy the photos of our past days.

Be well, always.

Ara and Spirit

Beemerchef

Post by Beemerchef »

[img]http://beemerchef.smugmug.com/photos/i- ... Wd6z-M.jpg[/img]

A few days in Salem. The road to... OR

The stage has been #20 ~ #26 westbound toward Salem. Rural Americana with it's rustic remainders of now almost defunct villages and the farmlands adorning the shoulders mixed in with the entrances and exits of the various National Forests. As sad a bit such little villages are today as I could only guess from the faded storefront signs of their previous wealth, they provide a slice of History never found in books or pamphlets. The price of today's now as an antique standing tall fuel pump denotes the year when slowly the main street folded giving way maybe to a bypass or just the fact of a new generation leaving for the big town where the jobs might be more rewarding.
“Sublimity”, “Gates”, “Idanha”, “Unity”, “Prineville”, “Sweet Home”...
We stop when the old oaks have enough shade to cover us from the hot sun for Spirit and I to stand all alone within the silence of a non existent traffic and just be, sometimes often still hearing the noises of the past glamor today vanished.
We could have spend weeks covering such short distances, but we had to be as we are right now in Salem awaiting for "Terra Explorer”. A surprising turn of events for us as seemingly this Journey has always brought on.
More Photos on the Journal... Enjoy.

Be well, always.

Ara and Spirit

bingolong
King of the Smilies

Post by bingolong »

Beemerchef,
Love these!!
I went to Zimbabwe. I know how white people feel in America now; relaxed! Cause when I heard the police car I knew they weren't coming after me! 
Beemerchef

Post by Beemerchef »

[img]http://beemerchef.smugmug.com/photos/i- ... fDKz-M.jpg[/img]

Dropping South, Crater Lake, Mt Shasta. OR. CA.

Seems as usual the days of summer get away so rapidly. I savor the long days without much interruption and sleep is curtailed to less hours than ever. I even feel tired at times when I finally realize midnight in the woods has approached and the first sun rays jump start me so early. It has been quite some “couple of weeks” nourishing the relationship with “Terra Explorer”, I must say a more than pleasant one when riding those narrow trails without any apprehension. Reverse and two wheel drive leave me always speechless.
Yet we battle with Mother Nature at times. Looking for elevation, escaping the mosquitoes, running away from the high temperatures, summer has it's charm and challenges.
I forgot to mention “running away” from crowded spaces also, but when I saw Crater Lake I could not help wanting to spend a few days exploring the circle it makes. It was not too bad, traffic was light, one and only “tent camping” space was fairly quiet. We did escape it before the Friday and Saturday's exodus of the weekend warriors happened and dropped a bit more south to the top of Mt Shasta. As far as the road could take us anyhow.
The experience of a Sunset and a Sunrise (so far) adorned with a sky filled with traveling clouds left me just sitting in my chair and taking it all in. Act One, Two, Three and more...
I forgot. We also spend a few days in “Plain”, WA, coaching many cook outdoors with provided “Snow Peak” gear and the get together organized by “Overland Journal”.
The Photos will speak for themselves on the Journal.

Be well, always.

Ara and Spirit

6ht years, the Stars, living under them…
Beemerchef

Post by Beemerchef »

[img]http://beemerchef.smugmug.com/photos/i- ... Zhs2-M.jpg[/img]

A serious case of debriefing. CA

Our Summer descend South has started. Too early for my taste but... always a but! House sitting a couple weeks for the same Friends who are going to take good care of Spirit while spending 2 weeks in Germany with my Mother. This is what happens when such events are planned right in the middle of Summer. Yet I am finding such a Season to be a difficult one since we like cold. Mosquitoes have never ceased, the heat is always present even if hovering around 10.000 feet, maybe need to switch our path to a different one. Pretty much stay put in the summer and confront the snow and colder elements in the winter in areas we have not seen covered with their white blanket. We now have the vehicle to do it with as “Terra Explorer” is turning out to be an amazing machine with a Old Soul trying to grow up a bit too fast!
We spend a grand time in Mc Cloud for about a week in a house loaned by our Friends, and now within the heat of Tucson we are pretty much staying put besides a magical evening a couple days ago North of Tonopah filled with storms and cooler temperatures.
Those will be photos for the next time. Right now it is all about Northern California...

Be well, always.

Ara and Spirit

6ht years, the Stars, living under them…