Old Yeller

Tell us why you love dogs. If you hate dogs, get the fuck out.

Moderators: bingolong, Jennifer, tamra

Forum rules
Spam is not allowed. All spammers will be blocked and reported to appropriate agencies.
Appaloosa

Old Yeller

Post by Appaloosa »

hey my favorite movie is Old Yeller........an that takes preference over any other movie.....I guess when you think that diamonds are a woman's best friend....an dog is a man's best friend....you might think we got rooked....but I like things the way they are....for I had an unconditional love at one time...I had one dog one time....an no dog or person could ever take that dogs place....so I never got another one..I got another woman tho but back to the dog..its too bad that someone ran over her and broke her back....we had to put her to sleep....but I had about 11 years with her an she was the best ....I think I will have a drink to her....later
Appaloosa

Re: Old Yeller

Post by Appaloosa »

astonamous,
hello ......well I dont think I have ever read that one..is it a movie too:
Appaloosa

Post by Appaloosa »

astonamous,
sound fairly interesting.......naw I just use my sleeve.....ayee....thanks
KMommy

Post by KMommy »

Appaloosa,

Oh gosh, I remember seeing both those movies with my mom when I was a child. I cried because they were so sad. I still don't think I could watch Old Yeller. I don't remember what comedian said it but the topic was movies and it was something to the effect of "Oh no! It's a disney movie. A boy, a dog...someone's gonna die." It seems like I remember even the Disney TV show(it was on NBC - Wonderful World of Disney ???) that use to be on when I was child had sad endings for any show that involved a boy and a dog.
Surferchicklet

Post by Surferchicklet »

KMommy,

I used to teach reading in prison and would make the guys read a book out loud, taking turns, then I'd bring in the movie and popcorn... almost all the guys were inner city, black and under 21... Not a dry eye in the house at the end of Old Yeller, and oddly enough one of their favorites was Gone With the Wind... altho I did read most of that one aloud to them. Everyone wanted to smack Prissy.

Honestly tho, one of the worse things to happen to any dog breed is for Disney/Hollywood to notice it...

Remember Big Red? The Irish setter movie in the '60's? That's when Irish Setters started being so inbred that they got stupid... everyone wanted one, and the puppy mills responded...

Rin Tin Tin, Lassie, Wishbone? Who in their right mind would want a Jack/Parson Russell Terrier as a house dog if they weren't following a fad? They are energetic, smart (bored easily) and not sedentary dogs...

Air Bud is making an impact on Goldens now... backyard breeders and puppymills are producing off standard dogs that end up in shelters...

Heaven help Dalmations if Disney makes another 101 Dalmations movie... every time a new one comes out the population explodes, and they end up in shelters because they are not the cute sweet kid friendly puppies people see in the movie... They are the original car alarm/Lojak for your horse and carriage. They were developed to trot for miles alongside and then protect it from theives while you were away from the carriage... They have hereditary problems, deafness being a biggie, they need a LOT of exercise, and they are good loyal watchdogs, but they are not usually good kid dogs.

And BTW, lemmings don't really race to the sea and suicide... Disney created that myth in a movie called White Wilderness in the late 50's... the camera crews forced the lemmings over the cliffs... (Check it out on Snopes if you don't believe me...)

Family friendly movies, huh?
<font color=blue>Feelin' blue in a red state...</font color>
Appaloosa

Post by Appaloosa »

Surferchicklet,
hello......what is BTW....lemmings.....and snopes?....
Surferchicklet

Post by Surferchicklet »

Appaloosa,

Sorry..

BTW = By the way

Snopes = Urban legend site where you can check out all those emails you get about kids needing money and women being killed by roving gangs of teenagers and so on...

http://www.snopes.com/ - Snopes'

Lemmings = little rodents who are generally believed to suicide periodically by leaping into the ocean... Not true. It was set up by photographers who sold the film to Disney and who released it as a "true life nature" thingy...

http://www.snopes.com/disney/films/lemmings.htm - Lemmings may be clumsy but not suicidal...'
<font color=blue>Feelin' blue in a red state...</font color>
Appaloosa

Post by Appaloosa »

Surferchicklet,
hello.....thanks for the link to snopes....I have been there several times......it is interesting....it was interesting about the Pulp Fiction thing....later