A little rescue story with a happy ending.

Information about animal rescue and adoption. Also, discussions and information concerning animal rights.

Moderators: bingolong, Jennifer, tamra

Forum rules
Spam is not allowed. All spammers will be blocked and reported to appropriate agencies.
Jennifer
White Honkey Bitch In Charge

A little rescue story with a happy ending.

Post by Jennifer »

For those of you who have not yet heard, Jolene, the pregant lab who was about to give birth at the King William County Pound in King William, VA, was rescued late yesterday. I have never seen so many people come together from so many different states in my life, to rescue one dog. But this was not just any dog. This was a very frightened, very pregant dog, who was about to give birth at any moment.

Saturday morning I received a call from a woman from a rescue group who wanted to help Jolene. I told her I was told by a staff member several days ago, that she was deemed aggressive, and was probably going to be euthanized. I told this woman to go ahead and call the pound directly to get this information first hand from the staff at the pound, in case I was misinformed. When she called, she was again told by a staff member that Dr. Haile said he was going to euthanize Jolene. This rescue person was devastated and asked why he would euthanize a dog about to give birth. She was told that Jolene was not a nice dog, and would not be released to the public. This rescue woman was devastated and called me immediately.

I told her how very sorry I was, but that unfortunately, there was nothing I could do at this point. I decided Sunday night I should send this information out to inform you of her situation. I said nothing derogatory about the pound or any of its staff in my email. I only stated the facts that were relayed to the public from the pound, concerning Jolene's situation. You were all directed to call the pound directly if you had any questions about what was happening. Because of this email I sent out informing you that Jolene was going to be euthanized, I was banned from ever doing dog rescue with this pound again. That is what the office manager told me today when I showed up there. I will email you about the details later in a seperate email. Dr. Haile is furious about what took place yesterday, and will not allow me to step foot inside his facility again. I am absolutely devastated because so far, I have been the only one willing to go inside the pound to take photos of these dogs. And without photos, there will be very few dogs who will be able to be rescued.

This is what I am told took place yesterday. Some of it I knew about, some I did not. The office manager told me today that Dr. Haile is furious not only with me, but with the rescue groups. I told her I did nothing to deserve this. I only sent an email out to inform everyone of what the pound said. She said I caused all of this to happen. Well if I am to blame for Jolene's rescue, then I have nothing to be ashamed of. I am sad however, for the dog's that still need rescuing. I was told that Dr. Haile said he would call the Deputy Sheriff if he ever saw my face at his facility again.

It all began Monday morning when the phones started ringing off the hook. Not only were my phones inundated with calls, but the pound was also flooded. Everyone was worried about Jolene, and worked relentlessly on trying to save her. Among those calls there were at least five or more rescues calling to say they would all take Jolene in, and allow her to have her babies at their facility. Someone from a rescue even called a local vet to ask if he could offer his services. The local vet called to offer to take the dog into his facility, but was told the same thing. That the King William Vet would not release Jolene to anyone under any circumstances. Everyone tried to explain to the vet at the pound that Jolene was probably in distress, and was about to give birth, and was obviously very scared. Nothing would change this vet's mind.

Then someone apparently called Channel 12 News On Your Side. They took an immediate interest in this story, and that's when things really started happening. It was absolutely amazing!

Rescues from as far away as Massachusettes, Pennsylvania, New York, Tennessee, and Conneticut all called to offer their help. They were also all turned away. I am told the phones started ringing at 8:am, and did not stop until 3:30 pm. That is when I received a phone call from a rescue person saying they were finally going to release Jolene. I was told that we had only a few hours to go and get her out of the pound.

A lab tech from a local vet followed me to the pound to go in and get Jolene. She took a muzzle with her because she was told this dog was mean. When she arrived at the pound, she walked into the run, put a leash around her neck, and got the dog out with absolutely no problems. It took her only a few minutes to get her out of there. She said the dog never once growled or snapped at her. She muzzled her as a precaution because Jolene was really scared. The tech then walked outside with her, and when I looked in my rearview mirror, my heart was filled with such elation as I watched this girl carry our very pregnant Jolene in her arms.

She put Jolene in a crate in my van, and I felt almost honored to be the one driving this most famous dog out to safety. My two little kids were so excited when they put her in our van. My little girl said, "Mommy, she's safe now, I 'm so happy. She smiled and said, "Jolene is finally going to be able to have her puppies."

We drove her straight to my vet's office, and are boarding her there until she gives birth. I called today to see how Jolene was doing. They said they walked her today and have even been able to pet her. They have seen no signs of aggression coming from this girl. I think Jolene is finally feeling safe, and I know we are all anticipating the arrival of these very loved and very special puppies. If Jolene only knew how many people loved her. She has no idea how hard you all worked on saving her life, but I know, and now everyone else does too.

This kind of story is what makes animal rescue so rewarding. Jolene is "living" proof that people care, and that because you all believed she was redeemable, she was given a second chance at life.

To all of you who reached out and made a difference, we are all so very grateful.
I know you can't wait to see these beautiful little puppies that are growing inside her,
so I will be sure to take lots of photos when they are born and send them out to everyone. They will always remind us of what the power of love can do. Again, this was a most awesome rescue. Great job!!!!!!

Vicki Prince
Freelance Writer
Mechanicsville, VA
804-901-4158
KMommy

Re: A little rescue story with a happy ending.

Post by KMommy »

Jennifer,

What a beautiful story! It made me cry but they were tears of happiness. That vet. sounds like someone that did not have the best interest of the animal in mind. IMO it sounds like he was just trying to show that it was going to be his way or no way at all. Thank God he did not win!!!!