RACCOON EMERGENCY

Information about animal rescue and adoption. Also, discussions and information concerning animal rights.

Moderators: bingolong, Jennifer, tamra

Forum rules
Spam is not allowed. All spammers will be blocked and reported to appropriate agencies.
RACCOON

RACCOON EMERGENCY

Post by RACCOON »

DEAR JEN AND RICH
I JUST WANTED TO LET YOU KNOW ABOUT A SITUATION AND SEE IF YOU CAN SEND SOME MESSAGES THAT WOULD BE HELPFUL. SEVERAL PEOPLE CONTACTED ME ABOUT SOME RACCOONS THAT WERE ON THE CAMPUS OF THE UNIVERSITY OF MISSISSIPPI. I TRIED TO OFFER SUGGESTIONS ON HOW TO DEAL SAFELY WITH WILDLIFE AND RECOMMENDED THE PEOPLE BE RESPONSIBLE ABOUT DISPOSING OF FOOD AND TRASH. I ALSO TOLD THEM THAT KILLING A COLONY OF RACCOONS, OR ANY OTHER WILD SPECIES, WOULD CONTRIBUTE TO A GROWTH OF THE NUMBERS OF ANIMALS AND PERHAPS A SPREAD OF DISEASE. I HAD A REAL PROBLEM WITH SOMEONE FROM THEIR STATE GAME COMMISSION. THAT WOMAN WAS A COMPLETE IDIOT AND I TOLD HER SO. SHE SUGGESTED KILLING THE RACCOONS. I WILL TRY TO SEND YOU A COPY OF HER MESSAGE. ANY RESPONSES ON BEHALF OF THE RACCOONS WILL BE APPRECIATED. THANKS, KATHLEEN

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, July 19, 2005 11:40 AM
To: HuntBAND@aol.com
Cc: furr@olemiss.edu; kathleen@raccoonrescue.com
Subject: Re: Need your assistance

As for the raccoon problem, this could quickly become a public health problem and this situation must be dealt with. In order for FURR to trap, and either relocate or euthanize these raccoons, they must be issued a permit from MDWFP. While I understand that this may not be the most desired method, the best option would be for the raccoons to be humanely euthanized. With the threat of rabies now very real in Mississippi, it is highly unlikely that a permit would be given for relocation. One option that was brought forward was trapping the raccoons, keeping them in quarantine, then releasing them at appropriate sites in another location. Unfortunately, I don’t feel this solution would work. First, the raccoons are already accustomed to the presence of humans and releasing them elsewhere would only move the problem from one place to another. Second, rabies can have an incubation period of anywhere from 3-12 weeks. This would expose the raccoons to more human contact for at least 3 months prior to their release. With the very real threat of rabies, I feel that the best option would be to trap and euthanize the raccoons before any human is bitten and forced to endure the painful rabies treatment that would be required.
I would think that as soon as the University of Mississippi administration becomes aware of the problem, they would move quickly to eradicate as many coons, and cats, as possible. I wish I could come up with a better solution but I don't think there is one. If I can be of any assistance, please feel free to contact me.
Kathy Shelton
MS Department of Wildlife Fisheries and Parks
Conservation Resource Management Biologist
211 Critz St N
Wiggins MS 39577
601-928-3720
]:o( ]:o(