Native Horses

Information about animal rescue and adoption. Also, discussions and information concerning animal rights.

Moderators: bingolong, Jennifer, tamra

Forum rules
Spam is not allowed. All spammers will be blocked and reported to appropriate agencies.
Wendy

Native Horses

Post by Wendy »

I'd like to share information about the native horse of the Northern Plains Badlands, the Nokota horse. These horses survived for over 100 years in the harshest terrain and climate in the United States. Their heritage traced back to 250 head of Sitting Bull's horses, Northern Plains Indian ponies and early settler's horses. They were on the land which is now Theodore Roosevelt National Park. The park decided to remove all the the original type horse and replace them with domestic horses. Now all of the original type horse have been bred out and or shot or removed from the park which was their home. All of these horses are on private land and they are in need of a permanent sanctuary of their own. These horses will be lost forever if action isn't taken soon.

Please visit the web sites, the Nokota Horse Conservancy www.nokotahorse.org - Nokota Horse Conservancy' dedicated to saving the native horse of the Northern Plains and Team Nokota! www.teamnokota.com - Team Nokota!' helping the Nokota Horse Conservancy in their efforts to save the Nokota horse.
Jennifer
White Honkey Bitch In Charge

Re: Native Horses

Post by Jennifer »

Wendy,
Thank you so much for putting this up!
koda

Post by koda »

Jennifer,
I'm not getting the links to work...is it my puter? They workin for you all?
Those who laugh...LIVE!
koda

Post by koda »

Wendy,
http://nokotahorse.org/ - NOKOTA LINK'
I checked out your site Wendy...I clicked on ur link from your profile area & it worked. Great info! I'm from South Dakota and have been to the Wild horse sanctuary so I'm at least aware of that, but had no idea about your info. Very interesting and informative!
Those who laugh...LIVE!
Wendy

Post by Wendy »

koda,

I'm glad you liked the web sites, that's great. They are from your neck of the woods, not mine but yet I love them. We've been trying to raise money for them from the East Coast, maybe you can try to shake up the people in the midwest, especially the Dakotas. There's less than a thousand Nokota left so it's kind of urgent. Those of us supporting this cause are aging fast and we need replacement Nokota lovers.
):)

Thanks again and I'm glad you did get to the sites.
Wendy

Post by Wendy »

koda,

I should add that the Nokota horses have no permanent sanctuary which is what we so desperately need for them...land.