Help Taco and his Mommy, victims of the pit bull ban in Ont.

Information about animal rescue and adoption. Also, discussions and information concerning animal rights.

Moderators: bingolong, Jennifer, tamra

Forum rules
Spam is not allowed. All spammers will be blocked and reported to appropriate agencies.
juliatat

Help Taco and his Mommy, victims of the pit bull ban in Ont.

Post by juliatat »

Hold onto your hats, this will upset you. Keep calling and writing.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I jsut got off the phone and yes, they are scrambling. They are now taking the position that LEGALLY, they cannot comment on this. I asked if they were aware this was international at this point. They said yes and this is why they cannot comment. I asked if they could see it in their hearts to grant them more time so that Stephanie and Taco have a chance to move from the area. Again, legally we cannot comment. I asked if there was anything she could comment on and she said "well, um, no, not really". I said "I see, thank you for your time and I will let my people know that you simply cannot comment right now." So get on the phone and call them!!! Email them!!! Really put the pressure on!!! ...Julia

~~~~~~~~~~~
More on Taco, the Pit Bull puppy sentenced to die in Windsor, Ont.

For those of you who have the time, I think it's very important you actually email and CALL the mayor's office in Windsor about this puppy. I just got off the phone with them and they seemed very distraught to hear that Taco's plight is all over the internet, making news as far away as Japan (I made sure the news went this far).

I asked point blank why the mayor and councillors have levied a death sentence when Taco could simply be re-homed into a legal area. Now they're scrambling... Let's make them work a little harder for a happier, more reasonable solution to this problem.

I've been told they haven't even read all emails yet so that's why I'm saying please also call if you can!

The mayor's name is Eddie Francis and his office number is:
519- 255- 6315

Thanks!
Vivian

PS: For those of you who may have missed the original story it is below (sorry for the repeat of info for those who already have it)

Vivian Singer-Ferris
Executive Director
Kerwood Wolf Education Centre Inc.
The Tiger Foundation
R. R. 3
Kerwood, Ontario Canada N0M 2B0
Tel: (519) 247-1118
Fax: (519) 247-9876

info@kerwoodwolf.com (@kerwoodwolf.com)
www.kerwoodwolf.com

info@tigerfoundation.net
www.tigerfoundation.net

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

----- Original Message -----
To: info@advocatesfortheunderdog.com
Sent: Wednesday, March 23, 2005 3:08 PM
Subject: I really need your help

Hello Everyone,

I really need your help.

As you know, in Windsor, ON in September, 2004 BSL was passed banning the new ownership of "pit bull" type dogs. Since the passing of this by-law, AFTU has been working diligently to fight the City of Windsor and trying to save as many dogs as we can. To date, AFTU has saved over 75 dogs and placed them into forever homes. Still, with all of our efforts we estimate that over 175 dogs have been euthanized. It is truly an astounding number!

On this past New Year's Eve, a young pup was found abandoned in a snow bank by a young man. He brought the frozen, nearly dead pup home to his aunt. The boy's aunt, a woman named Stephanie, stayed up all night gently massaging the young pup's body near her opened stove. Thinking the pup was actually a full grown Chihuahua, she named him Taco. It took several weeks for the pup to regain full mobility and several trips to the vet to insure that the pup was going to make it. It was during this time that she discovered that the dog was not a Chihuahua, but instead could possibly be a "pit bull" type pup. She did not care and opened her home to this poor little soul.

Since then, Stephanie has been served with a prohibited notice on Taco and she just had her appeal hearing on March 22, 2005. Taco is now approximately 4 months old and has been living in Stephanie's home since his arrival on New Year's Eve. The Appeal Hearing Committee has decided that Taco should be euthanized humanely within the next 6 days.

Before I go any further, I must tell you a bit about Stephanie. Stephanie had her leg amputated last year. She was released from the hospital mid-November, 2004. During her stay in the hospital, she faced many changes in her life. Not only did she lose her leg, but she also lost her job, her home and her marriage ended. She also needed to learn to walk again. Needless to say, with all the obstacles and changes in her life in 2004, Stephanie slipped into depression. But, when this nearly dead pup was delivered to her, she took on the challenge of saving his life with incredible strength and courage.

Almost as a "payback", Taco taught Stephanie to walk again. The two of them go for strolls daily and he is always gentle and sure not to pull. It is as if he knows he could make her fall if he did. When Stephanie is feeling down, Taco sits with her and comforts her with his head in her lap. This young dog is so full of love for this woman who selflessly nursed him back to health. The role is now reversed and Taco is now healing Stephanie. With so many changes in her life, things do not always look so rosy. But, Taco brightens her day and keeps her going.

If we do not act on this immediately, this young boy could face euthanization and Stephanie will lose her "youngest child." She is absolutely devastated by the outcome of the Appeal Committee.

I am asking each and every one of you to please take 5 minutes and email the Mayor and City Councilors of Windsor. Let them know that this is unacceptable. I have included all of their email addresses below. Just copy and paste them to your "To" box.

Help us save Taco's life!!

rjones@city.windsor.on.ca ; cpostma@city.windsor.on.ca ; jzuk@city.windsor.on.ca; dbrister@city.windsor.on.ca ; ahalberstadt@city.windsor.on.ca ; fvalentinis@city.windsor.on.ca ; dcassivi@city.windsor.on.ca ; klewenza@city.windsor.on.ca ; twilson@city.windsor.on.ca ; joagignac@city.windsor.on.ca ; mayoro@city.windsor.on.ca

Thanking you in advance for your help in this matter.

Regards,

Tammy Williams
Co-Founder / Fundraising / Rescue
Advocates for the Underdog
twilliams@advocatesfortheunderdog.com
VISIT: www.advocatesfortheunderdog.com
www.bannedaid.com

Messenger: tamiwil@hotmail.com (@hotmail.com)

MY ONTARIO INCLUDES PIT BULLS!!
PUNISH THE DEED....NOT THE BREED.

What is man without the beasts?

If all the beasts were gone,

men would die from great loneliness of spirit.

For whatever happens to the beasts,

soon happens to man.

All things are connected.

-Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)