'No Animals were harmed in the making of this movie'/opinions?

Information about animal rescue and adoption. Also, discussions and information concerning animal rights.

Moderators: bingolong, Jennifer, tamra

Forum rules
Spam is not allowed. All spammers will be blocked and reported to appropriate agencies.
KMommy

'No Animals were harmed in the making of this movie'/opinions?

Post by KMommy »

This has bothered me for a long time and I am just wondering if it bugs anyone else. I was watching Mad TV earlier and there was a skit were a out of control kid was swinging a cat around his head in a pillow case. Now I know it wasn't real and no animals were hurt but it bugs me when animal abuse is portrayed as funny. There are too many sickos out there that might try what they see. I was reading an article about the work Betty White does for animals
http://www.thepetpress-la.com/articles/bettywhite.htm

It discusses why she turned down a roll in As Good As It Gets. Here is part of the interview

Because of her animals, Betty’s limit for going out of town is two nights. “It’s not easy. My problem is I just enjoy them more than I do other things. I’ve turned down shows and I’ve turned down a Broadway Play because this is where my heart is.”

Something else Betty turned down was the role of the mother in the hit film As Good As It Gets. “I turned it down because of little Jill, the adorable little dog, being thrown down the garbage chute (by Oscar winner Jack Nicholson.) Jim Brooks, (one of the creators of The Mary Tyler Moore Show) was kind enough to offer me the role, but I called him and told him that I just couldn’t. He said, ‘but the dog is fine. The dog is safe. The dog is the star of the movie.’ I said, I know that, but there are a lot of kooks out there. They see that and say, oh, how convenient, there’s a dog that barks down the hall that bothers me. I know what I’ll do. And I said they don’t all have happy endings like that. He understood.”

I am just wondering if even when the statement "No animals were harmed in the making of this movie" is used does it bug anyone else that animal crulety is partrayed as being funny?
Jennifer
White Honkey Bitch In Charge

Re: 'No Animals were harmed in the making of this movie'/opinions?

Post by Jennifer »

KMommy,
I am with you girl!!! I hate it!!
Linda Sue

Re: 'No Animals were harmed in the ...

Post by Linda Sue »

Jennifer, To me even if I hear someone tell a joke involving an animal being harmed it makes me angry and I always let them know it too but seeing animal abuse portrayed as funny on tv is definitely one thing that pisses me off to no end. I have actually written letters to executive producers about that shit before. Animal cruelty of any kind, fictional or not, is not funny and it takes a sick person to think it is. Don't animals have a hard enough time in this world as it is? As far as that "No animals were harmed" etc. statement at the end of movies, it's something that has always made me wonder too. Don't get me wrong, I'm thankful that the AHA is there to oversee stuff like that but I wonder if an animal actually did get hurt during filming the disclaimer would say "Oops sorry folks, one animal was actually hurt in the filming of this movie"???...Post note: I was glad to find some interesting info about this subject:
http://petplace.netscape.com/articles/a ... artID=2335