RICHARD'S HOME STATE...LET'S HELP!!

Information about animal rescue and adoption. Also, discussions and information concerning animal rights.

Moderators: bingolong, Jennifer, tamra

Forum rules
Spam is not allowed. All spammers will be blocked and reported to appropriate agencies.
Jennifer
White Honkey Bitch In Charge

RICHARD'S HOME STATE...LET'S HELP!!

Post by Jennifer »

Dear Mr. Pryor,

I am the manager of TAPS Animal Shelter, a small no-kill facility located in Pekin, Illinois. We were founded in 1958, moved into our current shelter in 1991, and currently adopt out approximately 1,000 dogs and cats a year. Due to rising costs in fuel, veterinary care, and medical supplies, we are experiencing financial problems and are in real danger of losing our shelter. We spay/neuter, vaccinate, test, worm, and microchip all of our animals prior to adoption. We give special consideration to sick, injured, elderly, and orphaned animals and provide them with the best medical care our local vets can offer. Our attention to special needs animals is one of the reasons that our vet bills are so terribly high. I am in tears as I am writing you this because I am so worried that we may not be able to save our shelter and all the animals we help each day. We rely heavily on adoption fees and donations to support our programs, and since we are in a distressed area of the state that has lost many manufactoring jobs, the downturn in the economy has caused a decline in both of these sources of income. We are hoping for an economic upswing in our area but are concerned we may not survive this current storm.

We are pleading for your support, as we know you are a true animal lover. I realize you receive hundreds, possibly thousands, of letters and e-mails each day, and I appreciate your taking the time to read mine. Is there anything you can do for us, Richard? Thank you so much for reading. I have always been a huge fan of yours and I appreciate how much you do for the animals. Hope this letter finds you in good health.

Sincerely yours,
Susan Taffar
Manager
TAPS Animal Shelter
2675 Allentown Road
Pekin, IL 61554 (Near Peoria)
309-353-8277 (Shelter)
309-338-0357 (personal cell)
Jennifer

Re: RICHARD'S HOME STATE...LET'S HELP!!

Post by Jennifer »

Jennifer:
Let's help this wonderful no-kill!
billyb0y

Post by billyb0y »

Jennifer,
Here is the:

http://www.tapsshelter.org/ - Home page'
It's just me being me
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

billyb0y,
Thank you-let's help this woman keep this shelter going!!!
juliatat

Post by juliatat »

Hi Jennifer,

I edited the letter a bit and have sent this out to my list. I hope this helps...I have some really good people on my list that will help get the word out!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hi Friends, this is a no-kill shelter that really needs our help! This shelter is located in Pekin, IL. They rely heavily on adoption fees and donations to support their programs, and since they are in a distressed area of the state that has lost many manufacturing jobs, the downturn in the economy has caused a decline in both of these sources of income.
They were founded in 1958, moved into the current shelter in 1991, and currently adopt out approximately 1,000 dogs and cats a year. Due to rising costs in fuel, veterinary care, and medical supplies, they are experiencing serious financial problems and are in real danger of losing the shelter! They spay/neuter, vaccinate, test, worm, and microchip all of the animals prior to adoption. They give special consideration to sick, injured, elderly, and orphaned animals and provide them with the best medical care the local vets can offer. Their attention to special needs animals is one of the reasons that the vet bills are so terribly high.
I know we are all tapped but any little amount you can spare will help.
http://www.tapsshelter.org/
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

juliatat,
Thank you-networking is the greatest ---we must all work together to help these angels!
juliatat

Post by juliatat »

Jennifer, just wanted to let you know before I go home for the night that this is circulating far and wide now...even in the UK...hopefully things will start looking up for these wonderful people that do so much for those needy critters. One lady nearby the shelter wrote and said they would try to get some hands on help for them too...Julia
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

juliatat,
That is great-thank you so much! ):)
tapsshelter

Post by tapsshelter »

Hello Richard, Jennifer, and everyone who has replied,
Thank you all so much for your support and best wishes. We're working hard here to keep our shelter going in our little area of central Illinois. We adopted out over 1000 animals last year, will adopt out a bit fewer than that this year, and are hoping to be around for many years to come until we can spay/neuter and educate ourselves out of business for the best reason--there are no more homeless animals!

Just a little side note. We not only are from Richard's home state but also are from a town just nine miles to the southeast of Richard's hometown--Peoria. I work at the local Community Action Agency in Peoria, which sits at the corner of McBean Street and the former Sheridan Ave., now renamed and known as Richard Pryor Blvd.

Again, thank you all for your kind words, thoughts, and support. I'm filling in writing for Sue today since she is at a hearing in the state capital on animal overpopulation in the State of Illinois.
Teri
TAPS Board Vice-President
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

tapsshelter,
we have put your link up and we will support you!!!love jlp