dang, Death Row may be up for auction soon, including song rights

Richard loved going to the movies...
So do we. Who doesn't like music?

Moderators: bingolong, Jennifer, tamra

Forum rules
Spam is not allowed. All spammers will be blocked and reported to appropriate agencies.
tis2flyyy

Re: dang, Death Row may be up for auction soon, including song rights

Post by tis2flyyy »

dougdigitalpro,

You are right! Once again, the color of your skin makes it alright. It is many more power exec's, not only in the music business doing scandolous shit, it ain't even funny.

And being an independant film producer as well as a BROWN MAN - I know you are feeling a brother. Lesson one here is to NEVER sell your soul to further your project (which I know you are not ever gonna do anyway).
Where is the LOVE?
bingolong
King of the Smilies

Post by bingolong »

dougdigitalpro,
Yeah you are right ..for all his thuggery he had something to get what he had with Death Row ,masters and and all that....not many people in the game black or white have been able to say that........too bad he done f'ed that up!!
I went to Zimbabwe. I know how white people feel in America now; relaxed! Cause when I heard the police car I knew they weren't coming after me! 
tamra
Pryor's Planet Volunteer Extraordinaire

Post by tamra »

bingolong,

I guess the fight ain't over yet...it would be nice to see Harris and Knight work out their differences, and other members of rap history work together as well before someone like Tommy Matola owns Death Row!

http://www.cnn.com/2006/LAW/04/04/suge. ... index.html - cnn.com'

[Font size=2 face=v color=Blue]Suge Knight files for bankruptcy
Move seen as attempt to keep control of Death Row records

Tuesday, April 4, 2006; Posted: 5:53 p.m. EDT (21:53 GMT)

LOS ANGELES, California (Reuters) -- Rap mogul Marion "Suge" Knight filed for bankruptcy Tuesday to avoid losing control of his Death Row Records label in a $107 million civil court judgment, his lawyers said.

Knight co-founded Death Row in the early 1990s and helped launch the careers of such rap stars as Snoop Dogg and Tupac Shakur.

But he has failed to make good on a March judgment to pay Lydia Harris, who claimed Knight cheated her out of a 50 percent stake in the music label.

Harris's attorneys have accused Knight of "playing games" to avoid payment to their client.

Two weeks ago, a Los Angeles County Superior Court judge said he would appoint a court officer, called a receiver, to take control of Knight's assets, including Death Row.

The judge, Ronald Sohigian, directed Knight to disclose his finances in a debtor's exam set for April 1.

Sohigian said that Knight could petition the court to remove the receiver if he cooperated in providing information about his assets.

But the rap impresario failed to show up for the exam on Saturday.

"He has no choice, the way these people have forced his hand," Knight's new lawyer, Laurence Strick, said on Tuesday.

Strick said he expected to file for bankruptcy for Death Row later in the day.

Another court hearing in the matter also was set for Tuesday, during which the judge could formalize the receivership.[/font]
---
huh? what? who? damn, I'm always the last to know.
tis2flyyy

Post by tis2flyyy »

tamra,

WHHOOOOOSSSHHH! I had heard this when i was in Beverly Hills earlier today. He waited to long to do this. It was suggested to him several months back. He has a hard head. That make a very soft behind.

But I am certain that the big homey will do what he has to do to keep his shit. I am very glad to hear that he is not sitting down like no sucker. Still messed up to have to file bankruptcy.

In this case, I feel that he is not paying because he feels he owes dude (harris) nothing. There have been transactions in the past that depict that this is true. Harris and his ex-wife are greedy hoodrats. I mean, come on now - he is a notorious drug dealer doing time and she is a straight UP hooker who has no income and no sponsor. She was even screwing the attorney (Kenner and Harris' new attorney). Face it, the girl will do anything for some cheddar.

And even if they DID win the case to be paid millions - the fact still reamins that THEY did not put in the work that was required to make DeahRow the power house that it once was. They are tripping. And now, they have the court tripping with them too. See, satan be busy, like every damn day.

In addition to filing bankruptcy, he needs to move all of his other numerous personal assets (besides the label and the master tracks) into his Momma's name.

And before going into court next, he needs to put on the FULL armor of God. This is a message that all folks who are doing battles with wickedness, and evil principalities in high and low places. (Ephesians 6:4-10)

Besides filing bankruptcy and getting all of his other assets off the table, he needs to call on God.

So, if any of ya'll happen to holla at the homey, tell him that, ya heard?

& I want to add this---> don't give up on this brother just yet. He seems to have a little bit more fight still left in him.

Just hold him up in prayer.

And tamra, thanks for posting this and keeping the members here up on game.
Where is the LOVE?
dougdigitalpro

Post by dougdigitalpro »

tis2flyyy,
the fight continues...
I think at the end of this, Suge will indeed be a changed man.
He's thug life, but he's also done a lot good in this world that most people don't know about and I think that is his saving grace.
That's what I say also. Don't give up on Big Suge just yet.
He's down but not out.
An artist who
plans to change the game and free minds!
tis2flyyy

Post by tis2flyyy »

dougdigitalpro,

Yes, you said a mouthful their.

For some reason, I can not go against the man. Even knowing all that we know - through the media and such, I simply can not say "F" him. Although it is easier to jump on the hater band wagon and wish him ill, their is just something that says "BAND TOGETHER PEOPLE" and help this brother stand in his time of need.

We are praying for you Big Suge. Just hang in there...this too, will pass.

But Dougdigitalpro....if he is NOT a changed man after this, I am definitley going to be shocked, truly shocked.
Where is the LOVE?
tamra

Post by tamra »

tis2flyyy,

yeah I had to put this info out as soon as I heard. imagine if Death Row didn't exist? would Dre, Snoop, Tupac, Eminem, Mi'chele and other artists have been picked up by mainstream labels? they probably wouldn't have even known how to market the music and rights to songs could have sat on shelves forever. @.@

their music has now become a major part of rap history.
---
dougdigitalpro

Post by dougdigitalpro »

tamra,
Well, I have to say all those artists would have probably still made it because the main two, Pac & Dre were already established before Death Row. Dre would've still put Snoop and Eminem down no matter where he would've ended up. And in all honesty, Death Row needed Pac far more than he needed them. They were just his ticket to getting out of jail.
tis2flyyy,
Yea, If he doesn't I'm gonna be shocked also. I believe he will though.
An artist who
plans to change the game and free minds!
tamra

Post by tamra »

:( I just saw this, wow. I was really hoping several folks would work together on this. but hey, one way to look at it on the bright side: Justin Timberlake doesn't own Death Row. *whew*

http://www.eurweb.com/story/eur25538.cfm - eurweb.com'

Fri, Apr 27, 2007

SUGE KNIGHT'S ASSETS SEIZED BY L.A.JUDGE: Mogul loses Death Row after skipping payment of $107 million judgment.

(March 27, 2006)

A judge in Los Angeles announced that he would take control of Suge Knight's assets, including his Death Row records label, after he failed to make good on a $107 million civil court judgment.

Knight was supposed to pay the money to Lydia Harris, who won her March 2005 lawsuit that accused him of cheating her out of a 50 percent stake in the label. Her ex-husband, jailed former cocaine dealer Michael "Harry O" Harris, claims to have given Knight seed money to launch Death Row and is entitled to the profits.

Los Angeles County Superior Court Judge Ronald Sohigian said Knight could deflect the order if he fully disclosed his assets in a debtor's exam set for April 1.

"Because he had a long history of deceiving the court and avoiding payment, I asked the court to appoint a receiver to take over," Lydia Harris' attorney, Rex Julian Beaber, told Reuters. "If Knight cooperates in providing the information, he can ask the court to remove the receiver. But I don't think there's a chance in hell Knight is going to cooperate."

A lawyer for Knight, Dermot Givens, said the judge never formally signed an order taking control of Suge's assets, and Givens expected to have it overturned by proving Knight and Lydia Harris had agreed to settle the case out of court for a substantially less sum.

"In May of 2005, she received a million dollars and rights to various music, and she signed a settlement agreement," said Givens, adding that Harris was trying to back out of the settlement after being pressured by her husband, who would be entitled to a share of the original $107 million judgment.

According to Reuters, the judge never signed off on any settlement between Knight and Lydia Harris. Beaber and a lawyer for Michael Harris, Steven Goldberg, affirmed that no such agreement exists and Goldberg predicted Knight will eventually lose control of his record label for good.

"I think it's a death knell for Death Row," Goldberg told reporters Thursday outside court.
---
EddieHill

Post by EddieHill »

tamra, It would be a good thing Castle Communications or Sanctuary Records can come to the rescue and save Death Row. Castle does a nice job remastering all types of music.