Babe Ruth was probably the best ever.

Discuss the latest news, TV programs, gossip or maybe you got an announcement to make.

Moderators: bingolong, Jennifer, tamra

Forum rules
Spam is not allowed. All spammers will be blocked and reported to appropriate agencies.
walrusjk

Babe Ruth was probably the best ever.

Post by walrusjk »

I know the league was all white back then and all but Ruth was a freak of nature. Broke into the majors as a pitcher but hit too well so they put him in the outfield. Want to win a trivia question?...What pitcher who pitched 20 or more games against the Yankees has the best win-loss average? Babe Ruth. He was like 18 and 2 when he was with the Red Sox. When he hit 60 home runs in a single season he had more homers than all the American league teams combined! That is just weird. Probably head and shoulders better than any one ever.
Appaloosa

Re: Babe Ruth was probably the best ever.

Post by Appaloosa »

walrusjk,
i think thats true to a point....when Ruth hit his home runs the baseball was heavier..today he might not have hit more but he would have hit them farther....back then they had shorter playing seasons which means less games....so Bonds broke his record ....so what aint that the pine tar king?? just like boxers you cant judge the era each one was in an say that the other could make it then....but i would bet Ruth could hit any ball anywhere.....anytime....an not have to rely on steroids or cork or pinetar....just my opinion...
walrusjk

Re: Babe Ruth was probably the best ever.

Post by walrusjk »

Appaloosa,
I'm not saying maybe most players of Ruth's era didn't do the same but he wasn't a guy who was a health nut. Smoked, drank like a fish and ate like a pig. He died at 52 from throat cancer but it's freakish to me he accomplished what he did with those habits. Just to mention it...He was huge! Great big guy who was accused of being from African American decent. It was a huge story in those days. It's never mentioned now but it was big news then. You know like some where in his family a black guy was his grand dad type thing. He was an orphan. A young Ruth was a big and imposing sight to behold who was a stone cold athlete. He pitched his first 6 years in the majors and still holds batting records that took decades to break. His slugging percentage may never be broke.