Double standards in the media in the wake of Hurricane Katrina.....

Discuss the latest news, TV programs, gossip or maybe you got an announcement to make.

Moderators: bingolong, Jennifer, tamra

Forum rules
Spam is not allowed. All spammers will be blocked and reported to appropriate agencies.
dougdigitalpro

Re: Vacation is Over... an open letter from Michael Moore to George W. Bush[/B]

Post by dougdigitalpro »

astonamous,
It all goes back to race, doesn't it? This is like a repeat of what his daddy did during the riots in LA in '92. Maybe it WILL all end in a race war, because that's what it seems like it's all about at the end of the day anyway. You know what's even sadder? I work with these Albanian and Bosian guys at my restaurant and you should see how THEY be going at each other. White folks beefing with white folks! You just can't ready for the shit. The world TRULY is a ghetto!
But like Kanye shouted, they dog us BY DESIGN! They don't even like each other, but they are going to make doubly sure they keep our asses down. That's the common cause those kind of ignorant, narrow minded white folks share. "I can't stand your ass, but I REALLY can't stand them damn niggers!" Just crazy, mixed up BULLSHIT! ]:o( ]:o( ]:o(
An artist who
plans to change the game and free minds!
bingolong
King of the Smilies

Post by bingolong »

dougdigitalproastonamousMisterGee,

Well the thing is history always repeats itself ...when a people have been oppressed for so long or feel they have not been treated fairly rioting and civil unrest begins:

1968- King Riots after the death of MLK
1992- Riots after the aquittal of police caught on tape beating Rodney King
2005 After having to wait 5 days too long to get help.....

....I think you get the point..... :( b.b
I went to Zimbabwe. I know how white people feel in America now; relaxed! Cause when I heard the police car I knew they weren't coming after me! 
KMommy

Post by KMommy »

bingolong,
Bush administration funding cuts forced federal engineers to delay improvements on the levees, floodgates and pumping stations that failed to protect New Orleans from Hurricane Katrina's floodwaters, agency documents showed on Thursday. The former head of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, the agency that handles the infrastructure of the nation's waterways, said the damage in New Orleans probably would have been much less extensive had flood-control efforts been fully funded over the years.

Am I the only one that finds it a little odd that this isn't getting more coverage on the news? I heard it mentioned once. I haven't followed all of the reports so maybe I missed it. But somehow I feel if this would have happened during Clinton's term that is all we would be hearing probably every single hour "Clinton responsible for deaths in New Orleans." I've heard some really stupid comments from individuals like "How can you blame the President - if he didn't care he wouldn't be visiting the areas..." I say bid F------Deal! So he visits, if the funding hadn't been taken away in the first place maybe the disaster wouldn't be to the level it is. If the levee isn't properly repaired don't we risk the chance of this happening again?

The comments that make me the most upset are the ones from individuals who actually say "This is God's will." I know of someone who said that this is punishment for all of the sin in New Orleans. My response is if God were handing out hurricanes and illness as punishment for sin none of us would be alive. Seems I recall something about He without sin cast the first stone. :X
bingolong
King of the Smilies

Post by bingolong »

KMommy,
Just plain ignorance!! And the thing is I have had a good long 4 day weekend from those BUSHies who think he can do know wrong!! Wish me luck mucking thru the bullshit tommorow!!! ]:o(
I went to Zimbabwe. I know how white people feel in America now; relaxed! Cause when I heard the police car I knew they weren't coming after me! 
bingolong
King of the Smilies

Post by bingolong »

http://bushniggas.ytmnd.com/ - ......oh by the way Bush does care about Black People...........' ;p
bingolong
King of the Smilies

Post by bingolong »

bingolong,
The BUSHies already got me heated and I been here 45 minutes ]:o( :X ]:o( :X ]:o( :X ]:o(

....and lets not let this disaster take our focus of all the stuff they might try to sneak in while we are not paying attention especially with another recent vacancy in the Supreme court!!

A Can't-Do Government

By Paul Krugman

Before 9/11 the Federal Emergency Management Agency listed the three most likely catastrophic disasters facing America: a terrorist attack on New York, a major earthquake in San Francisco and a hurricane strike on New Orleans. "The New Orleans hurricane scenario," The Houston Chronicle wrote in December 2001, "may be the deadliest of all." It described a potential catastrophe very much like the one now happening.

So why were New Orleans and the nation so unprepared? After 9/11, hard questions were deferred in the name of national unity, then buried under a thick coat of whitewash. This time, we need accountability.

First question: Why have aid and security taken so long to arrive? Katrina hit five days ago - and it was already clear by last Friday that Katrina could do immense damage along the Gulf Coast. Yet the response you'd expect from an advanced country never happened. Thousands of Americans are dead or dying, not because they refused to evacuate, but because they were too poor or too sick to get out without help - and help wasn't provided. Many have yet to receive any help at all.

There will and should be many questions about the response of state and local governments; in particular, couldn't they have done more to help the poor and sick escape? But the evidence points, above all, to a stunning lack of both preparation and urgency in the federal government's response.

Even military resources in the right place weren't ordered into action. "On Wednesday," said an editorial in The Sun Herald in Biloxi, Miss., "reporters listening to horrific stories of death and survival at the Biloxi Junior High School shelter looked north across Irish Hill Road and saw Air Force personnel playing basketball and performing calisthenics. Playing basketball and performing calisthenics!"

Maybe administration officials believed that the local National Guard could keep order and deliver relief. But many members of the National Guard and much of its equipment - including high-water vehicles - are in Iraq. "The National Guard needs that equipment back home to support the homeland security mission," a Louisiana Guard officer told reporters several weeks ago.

Second question: Why wasn't more preventive action taken? After 2003 the Army Corps of Engineers sharply slowed its flood-control work, including work on sinking levees. "The corps," an Editor and Publisher article says, citing a series of articles in The Times-Picayune in New Orleans, "never tried to hide the fact that the spending pressures of the war in Iraq, as well as homeland security - coming at the same time as federal tax cuts - was the reason for the strain."

In 2002 the corps' chief resigned, reportedly under threat of being fired, after he criticized the administration's proposed cuts in the corps' budget, including flood-control spending.

Third question: Did the Bush administration destroy FEMA's effectiveness? The administration has, by all accounts, treated the emergency management agency like an unwanted stepchild, leading to a mass exodus of experienced professionals.

Last year James Lee Witt, who won bipartisan praise for his leadership of the agency during the Clinton years, said at a Congressional hearing: "I am extremely concerned that the ability of our nation to prepare for and respond to disasters has been sharply eroded. I hear from emergency managers, local and state leaders, and first responders nearly every day that the FEMA they knew and worked well with has now disappeared."

I don't think this is a simple tale of incompetence. The reason the military wasn't rushed in to help along the Gulf Coast is, I believe, the same reason nothing was done to stop looting after the fall of Baghdad. Flood control was neglected for the same reason our troops in Iraq didn't get adequate armor.

At a fundamental level, I'd argue, our current leaders just aren't serious about some of the essential functions of government. They like waging war, but they don't like providing security, rescuing those in need or spending on preventive measures. And they never, ever ask for shared sacrifice.

Yesterday Mr. Bush made an utterly fantastic claim: that nobody expected the breach of the levees. In fact, there had been repeated warnings about exactly that risk.

So America, once famous for its can-do attitude, now has a can't-do government that makes excuses instead of doing its job. And while it makes those excuses, Americans are dying.
dougdigitalpro

Post by dougdigitalpro »

bingolong,
dawg, that is creepy hearing that word actually put together to sound like Bush is saying it, because I know behind closed doors, he's said it. It doesn't sound out of place at all. Like it would sound very out of place if you heard, say...Clinton say it or his wife. But Bush, sounds incredibly normal.
I think you guys have to get your head around a higher level of thinking on this. It's not about asking why did it happen, because it's obvious why it happened. It's not even about asking how. If you wanna ask the how & the why of all this, I GUARANTEE you'll end up researching data going back 35-40 years and you may STILL never know the truth. I'm not a conspiracy theorist THAT MUCH, but dammit, I know when there is a whole lot of dirt in the fish tank and someone stands there and tells me it isn't, you're seeing things...something is WRONG! This was not an accident, folks. IT WAS PLANNED! Why are they forecasting disasters in cities that 1)Most Republicans hate and 2) are known for their "so-called" sinful ways.
New Orleans for the partying, voodoo, and prostitution, San Fran for it's high gay population and New York for it's crime, partying and high ethnic population. Sound like targets to me. ]:o(
An artist who
plans to change the game and free minds!