Reopening The Atlanta Child Murders

Discuss the latest news, TV programs, gossip or maybe you got an announcement to make.

Moderators: bingolong, Jennifer, tamra

Forum rules
Spam is not allowed. All spammers will be blocked and reported to appropriate agencies.
robfharris

Reopening The Atlanta Child Murders

Post by robfharris »

CNN announced, there will be a press conference next week that Dekalb County, GA Sherriff's Department will reopen the cases linked to the murders that took place in their county.
The Sherriff of Dekalb County came to tears during the interview when he said he did not believe Wayne Williams was the murderer.

Thank GOD!!!!!!! I was 10 years old, in Atlanta when the murders started and I have never been more afraid in my life.
I also thought it was a slap in the face to say that a man that was tried and convicted (possibly wrongly) for the murder of two 20 year old men, could be who they present as the "The Atlanta Child murderer". It never made any sense, he's "the Atlanta Child Murderer", but you convicted him in the murder of two adults and never saw if the charges would stand up against him regarding any of the children lost.

I remember some boys coming up missing, after Wayne Williams was arrested and being found dead in ways similar to the other children. But as I got older, I tried to throw away any thoughts that the murderer was still out there. Then I get older and hear there was a strong link between the Ku Klux Klan and missing children that was investigated, but swept under the rug, because there was a fear the Black community would be upset, maybe even riot in white communities. I don't think the Black community would ever, or has ever, riot for receiving justice.
I have prayed that this case would be reopened, so there can be closure, so that we can know if it really is Wayne Williams that is the monster or not. But more so, for the mother's of those murdered, that feel they never received an answer... justice.
Finally... I hope.
Now that Johnnie's gone, I guess I should start being nice to the cops.
bingolong
King of the Smilies

Re: Reopening The Atlanta Child Murders

Post by bingolong »

robfharris,
Yeah I was a few years younger than you but I remember being down in ATL during the summer when all that was going down.I never went outside much when I would visit down there either.
My grandmother was a teacher and also worked with the NAACP and told me she remembered meeting Wayne Williams doing photography.I remember the grown folk talk back then saying that they felt like he was set-up.
I went to Zimbabwe. I know how white people feel in America now; relaxed! Cause when I heard the police car I knew they weren't coming after me! 
robfharris

Post by robfharris »

bingolong,
I also remember not being able to go outside, unless there were adults with you. This was before cordless phones, so if the adult you were with went in to answer the phone, so did you. Crazy thing is, as kids we were so scared we didn't mind at all.
Another thing I remember was being told to beware of cars with three men them asking you to come talk to them. Some of the kids were last seen talking to 2 or 3 men. So when they presented Wayne Williams as the murderer, even as a child, it didn't sound right.
I can honestly say, I hate going to Atlanta. Spent a good part of last Summer there. One of my friends told me hating to visit probably has a lot to do with the fear I felt of being there during that period. I can't argue with him, that may have a lot to do with it.
Now that Johnnie's gone, I guess I should start being nice to the cops.
Appaloosa

Post by Appaloosa »

robfharris,
hello.....I remember reading about this in a book.......and for some reason, I never beleived he did it.....maybe it was just the evidence.....there was not enough to convict him....an they seemed to just want to convict someone.....anyone of this so it would be forgotten....an if the real murderer is out there he would stop just to avoid prosecution......or move....
jtrodreigez

Post by jtrodreigez »

seems like this kinda thing happens a lot. Just wondered what you all thought of the west memphis three case.ive seen the first doc. and was very moved but im still unsure what actually happened but its clear those boys cant be proved beyond a reasonable doubt to be guilty.
i got Madonna's big dick comin' outta my left ear.....
jtrodreigez

Post by jtrodreigez »

Shit i just read the info on that case, wow, i dont blame you lot for been afraid around that area. The fuck ups by the police in this and many other cases is unbelievable.
i got Madonna's big dick comin' outta my left ear.....