R.I.P. Ossie Davis

Discuss the latest news, TV programs, gossip or maybe you got an announcement to make.

Moderators: bingolong, Jennifer, tamra

Forum rules
Spam is not allowed. All spammers will be blocked and reported to appropriate agencies.
JTF
XXX

R.I.P. Ossie Davis

Post by JTF »

b.b
http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jht ... geNumber=1 - Actor Ossie Davis Dies at Age 87'

by Jane Sutton
MIAMI (Reuters) - Actor Ossie Davis, who brought dignity and a passion for social justice to the stage and screen in a career of more than 50 years, was found dead early on Friday at the age of 87.

Davis' body was discovered by his grandson and paramedics at the Shore Club hotel in Miami Beach, where the actor had been shooting the film "Retirement," according to police and his office in Los Angeles.

"According to the grandson, he was suffering from heart disease," said police spokesman Bobby Hernandez. "The grandson knocked on the door, and when Mr. Davis didn't respond, he called fire rescue."

A longtime civil rights activist, Davis spoke at the funerals of both Martin Luther King Jr. and Malcolm X and gave voice to the famous United Negro College Fund slogan, "A mind is a terrible thing to waste."

He and his wife of more than 50 years, actress and frequent collaborator Ruby Dee, received Kennedy Center Honors in 2004 for their body of work.

In the late 1990s, they co-wrote the book "With Ossie and Ruby: In This Life Together," chronicling their struggles against racial injustice as well as their decades as a couple.

They also spoke in the book about their decision to have an open marriage. The couple had three children.

Davis broke barriers for black performers on television, stage and in the movies and developed a reputation as one of the country's most recognizable character actors.

"In the roles he took, he was a standard bearer for dignity and integrity," said longtime friend Madeleine Moore, an advertising executive who met Davis and his wife while working on a public affairs radio show the couple hosted together.

"Even as a young actor, he took on the mantle of this wise sage, this person who carried wisdom and a sense of purpose and the history of a people," Moore said.

A fellow activist, the Rev. Jacques DeGraff, said Davis' greatest role was that of an off-screen champion of the downtrodden.

"Wherever the cause of justice was in question, Ossie Davis in some way or fashion was there lending his voice and his visibility to that moment," DeGraff said. "His loss is a loss to African Americans and really to all Americans."

THE STAGE, SCREEN AND TELEVISION

After serving in the Army during World War II, Davis made his Broadway debut in 1946 in the title role of "Jeb," which also marked his first joint appearance with Dee. The couple toured together in a production of "Anna Lucasta" and married in 1948.

He later succeeded Sidney Poitier on Broadway in the lead role of "A Raisin in the Sun" and also wrote and starred in the Broadway hit "Purlie Victorious," a satire of racism in the Old South. He later adapted the show for big screen as "Gone Are the Days" and wrote the script for "Purlie," the 1970 Broadway musical version.

He made his film acting debut with Poitier the racially charged 1950 drama "No Way Out" and first appeared on TV the following year in a production of "Green Pastures."

Since then his screen acting credits have including the Spike Lee films "Jungle Fever" and "Do the Right Thing" and TV projects such as the miniseries "Roots: The Next Generation" and the sitcom "Evening Shade." He also played Martin Luther King Sr. in the TV biographical drama "King."

In the film "Retirement," Davis, Peter Falk, George Segal and Rip Torn were starring as four grumpy old men who leave their Florida retirement homes on a road trip to Las Vegas to stop one of their daughters from marrying the wrong guy.
JTF
XXX

Re: R.I.P. Ossie Davis

Post by JTF »

Ossie Davis, Film and Stage Actor for 65 Years, Dies at Age 87
Feb. 4 (Bloomberg) -- Ossie Davis, a film and stage actor whose career spanned 65 years, was found dead today in his Miami hotel room. Davis, the husband and partner of actress Ruby Dee, was 87.

Davis had just started making the film ``Retirement,'' his Hollywood agent Michael Livingston told the Associated Press. Dee is in New Zealand to make a movie there, Livingston said.

``I'm shocked,'' Livingston said. ``I'm absolutely shocked. He was the most wonderful man I've ever known. Such a classy, kindly man.''

Davis and Dee were among artists who received the Kennedy Center Honors last year. They had celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary in 1998 with the publication of a dual autobiography, ``In This Life Together.''

They were active in promoting civil rights and humanitarian causes. Davis spoke at the funerals of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. and assassinated civil rights activist Malcolm X. Davis also was the voice for the United Negro College Fund's advertising slogan, ``A mind is a terrible thing to waste.''

The two were inducted into the NAACP Image Award Hall of Fame, the Theater Hall of Fame, and received the National Medal of Arts Award from President Bill Clinton.

Davis, the son of as railroad engineer, was born in Cogdell, Georgia, on Dec. 18, 1917. He earned a degree at Howard University in Washington, and then moved to New York to start his career.

20 Films

His career included acting, writing, producing and directing over 65 years and produced 20 films, among them ``Grumpy Old Men,'' ``Do the Right Thing,'' ``Miss Evers' Boys'' and ``Malcolm X.'' He first appeared on the screen in 1959 in ``No Way Out'' with Dee and Sidney Poitier.

He directed and co-wrote ``Cotton Comes to Harlem'' (1970), ``Black Girl'' (1973) and ``Countdown at Kusini (1976).

Davis and Dee first appeared together in the plays ``Jeb Turner'' in 1946, and ``Anna Lucasta,'' in 1946-47.

They had major roles in the television series ``Roots: The Next Generation'' (1978), ``Martin Luther King: The Dream and the Drum'' (1986) and ``The Stand'' (1994).

Davis appeared in three Spike Lee films: ``School Daze,'' ``Do the Right Thing'' and ``Jungle Fever.''

To contact the reporter on this story:
William Ahearn in New York at bahearn@bloomberg.net.
dougdigitalpro

Post by dougdigitalpro »

What's to be said really. Another great goes home.
This man made an indeliable impression on me through the work he did with Spike Lee since I was about 18.
I'm just too sad but happy also because he lived a full and wonderous life.

Goodbye, Da Mayor.
b.b
An artist who
plans to change the game and free minds!
Jennifer
White Honkey Bitch In Charge

Post by Jennifer »

dumbass,
I met Ruby up in Vancouver...Ossie was working on the L Word and Ruby was with him---what a lovely couple...what a loss...he was a giant in the industry! :(
JTF
XXX

Post by JTF »

Jennifer,

So on the radio show yesterday the best thing that the host had to say about Ossie was to call him a communist.

I despise the right wing.