Racism and Discrimination NEVER end

Politics, religion, racism, sex, the weather... there's always lots to think about so there's always lots to talk about. Progressive ideas are encouraged but all opinions are welcome.

Moderators: bingolong, Jennifer, tamra

Forum rules
Spam is not allowed. All spammers will be blocked and reported to appropriate agencies.
abnormalandbitchy

Racism and Discrimination NEVER end

Post by abnormalandbitchy »

I am posting the story below. Before and after the story is a link the the Library web page where you can get the contact info for contacting these people and sharing your "VIEW" of the situation. Please show your support.

I only ask one thing, I know tempers will fun high after reading this story, but please remember to behave in an adult manner. My friend plans to take this higher and also call the editor about this. We dont want to make her or ALL the family members of autistic children look bad by having a bunch of people contacting them CUSSING them out like barbarians ( as hard as it will be not to). Remember, we are better then them, so show that by not stooping to their level.

Website and contact info...

Belgrade Community Library

HERE IS THE STORY.....

Today, my almost 7 y.o's aide took him to the library in the little town where my boys have PT and OT. (He has been there several times before.) Today, he decided to have a tantrum (small for "D", but I'm sure unsettling for people who aren't used to them)...anyway, the aide was trying to calm him and get him settled before leaving (one of our goals with him is to try and teach him that he can't tantrum to get out of doing what he wants). The lady who was working there approached the aide and told her they were being disruptive and had to leave. The aide explained that they would lbe happy to leave in a few minutes, as soon as he calmed down. The lady was relentless and wouldn't give up, telling them several times they had to leave, that his behavior was not going to be tolerated there. The next thing the aide knew, the lady had her hand on the phone and told her she was going to call the cops. The aide then picked my son up (all 56 pounds of him) and carried him outside, set him right outside the door and let him continue his tantrum before they would leave. (According to his "plan" that is EXACTLY what she was supposed to do. Okay, fine, issue over and done, right? NOPE! The lady frickin followed her outside to "explain herself". She continued to say that she had 20 people breathing down her neck. (The aide did not see ONE person approach or say anything to this lady, nor did anyone approach or say anything to the aide personally.) She then said that she wasn't calling the police as a "disciplinary action" but as a precaution because she seemed as though she needed help removing him. WTF?!?!?!?!?! Now, I would never expect an aide to respond the way I would have, but I would have told her to call the cops, explained that my 7 y/o is autistic and disabled and that yes, I would like for her to call the cops so I could file a discrimination report. Damn, just when you feel that there is true acceptance of "differences", something like this happens. I know I am an emotional and sensitive person and I shouldn't let these things bother me like I do, but sometimes it just really hurts. My only consolation is that my son doesn't understand the ignorance and cruelty that surrounds him. I reassured the aide that I was proud of her and that she did a great job, but no frickin wonder it is so hard to keep some of these people around and so hard to find good aides in the first place.

My parents had some good advice for me tonight...in the future when they take him into places..like the library, that they inform the person in charge in advance that they are working therapy with him and there is a possibility that if he gets upset or mad at something, he will throw a fit and that it will take them about five minutes to get him through it but that part of his therapy is that the fit won't get him out of whatever he is suppose to be doing. That way they aren't blind sided, they can go in and introduce themselves and introduce D to them and then tell them about it.

Now tomorrow morning I have to file an incident report with the agency the aide works for. I am hoping to attack this tomorrow less emotionally and turn it into a learning opportunity for the lady at the library and the other staff as well....I'm just not sure HOW yet, but I'm sure I will stay awake tonight to figure it out

LATER POSTED....

The lady that kicked my son out was the DIRECTOR of the library! I had the agency call and talk to her, and she said "those kind of kids need to know their boundaries"...I AM SHAKING RIGHT NOW..."those kind of kids"? WTF planet is she from? I WILL be writing a letter to the editor now, and I WILL be taking this higher...I just need to wait a few days until I calm down and make sure that I can respond to this in an "adult and constructive manner" and not let Mama Bear loose on everyone. I just want to cry...

PLEASE SHOW YOUR SUPPORT BY CONTACTING THESE PEOPLE AND HELPING TO "EDUCATE THEM" AND TELLING THEM YOUR VIEWS.

Belgrade Community Library
Behind every beautiful thing there is some kind of pain - Bob Dylan
tamra
Pryor's Planet Volunteer Extraordinaire

Re: Raceism and Discrimination NEVER end

Post by tamra »

abnormalandbitchy,

nope it won't end because it's a learned and passed on behavior. but a good lawyer will silence the nonsense and make the next idiot think twice. :lol:
---
huh? what? who? damn, I'm always the last to know.
hellifiknow

Re: Raceism and Discrimination NEVER end

Post by hellifiknow »

abnormalandbitchy,
"those kind of kids"? ...thats wrong!

This may be difficult but I won't use foul language or be rude when mentioning the directors apparent desire to follow Stalin and Hitlers purge of the "undesirables"... :X

Friday there was a ceremony for the achievments of the special need students at our grade school, the counselors for the autistic children are amazing...love and prayers. :)

"boy, go get me something to beat your ass with" RP