business over private rights!!!

Politics, religion, racism, sex, the weather... there's always lots to think about so there's always lots to talk about. Progressive ideas are encouraged but all opinions are welcome.

Moderators: bingolong, Jennifer, tamra

Forum rules
Spam is not allowed. All spammers will be blocked and reported to appropriate agencies.
ed broeth

business over private rights!!!

Post by ed broeth »

i recently heard on CBS that there is a city where it is now becoming legal for large companies who offer communities lots of jobs and business can decide that they want certain land and then the city can forclose on any house they want so that the business can build there..man this freking makes me almost as mad as i am at those dammned CASH IN A FLASH places ]:o( ]:o(
Momof5

Re: business over private rights!!!

Post by Momof5 »

ed broeth,

Its not just in that city. It's everywhere. It's called Eminant Domain. Just say that a large Corporation (or developer) seems to have an idea that your particular area is a prime spot for affordable housing (condos, townhouses) or for a strip mall or something. And they go around the area and alot of the people take the first money they are offered to sell their house. But you don't want to. You love your house. You have lived there for 30 years. Maybe your house is even paid off. You don't want to sell. Well the corporation goes to a Court, tells them their proposal of the affordable housing or new business that would be built. Shows charts and diagrams of money to be made and how nice the area would look. And the court sees how benificial it would be because of the revenue and so they both collaborate on something to use as an excuse that your property is delapidated or run down or an eye sore (they have many more they can use too). And boom.. your house is no longer your house. You get evicted. So no matter how much you think your home is yours.. Its not.

I saw this one television show( A documentary on PBS) where they did that to a 80 something year old man. He had no where to go. He was just standing up for what he believed was his rights. But they took his house out from under him.
You have to look at your property taxes as rent to the town or local government that you live in. You pay them for use of the land, But you don't really own it.

Its a shame, but money always wins out in Government. Government that is supposed to be for the people by the people. The government see us as $$$$$$ with legs. I hate it too. We bought our home and I completely understand because of those laws that we could lose it at anytime.

How could one ever feel secure...

Take care