NAACP Military Service Award

Jennifer vents! Put on your hard hat and safety goggles before you enter!

Moderators: bingolong, Jennifer, tamra

Jennifer
White Honkey Bitch In Charge

NAACP Military Service Award

Post by Jennifer »

Richard is receiving the NAACP Military Service Award today. Those of you who have read Pryor Convictions will get a little chuckle.

Here's what I'm going to say...
[hr]
Today is Veteran's Day and I am honored to be here on behalf of Richard.

I would like to take this special opportunity to acknowledge and remember those who are in harms way as we speak.

I want to acknowledge, remember and honor those brave men and women who have fallen in just and unjust wars.

I want to honor all of you for your service, in wars and struggles fought in the military and out of the military as well; for the ongoing never ending struggle and battle always being fought for equality and justice.

I also want to say Thank God Rummy is gone and the Democrats are in. And here is a spiritual toast to our current and future leaders from the Congressional Black Caucus and Senator Barack Obama. I also want to give it up for George Duvall, newly elected black governor of Massachusetts.

I am here to accept this award on Richard's behalf for his time served in the military. Now folks I gotta keep it real. We all know that Richard didn't have an illustrious career in the Army. Never-the-less this is a wonderful and very moving honor to accept on his behalf. Dec. 1st is Richard's Birthday and on Dec. 10th it will be a year since he passed. The timing of this award is not lost on me.

One of the stories I loved most about Richard's time spent in the military, was the reason he was discharged.

A group of men were watching the movie, Imitation of Life. Apparently one of the soldiers consistently laughed in all the wrong places. Needless to say he was a white soldier. A fight broke out and Richard used a switch-blade he carried to make his point. It was at this time everyone agreed that the Army life was not for Richard.

This story illustrates how the Army helped further shape Richard's belief system and his sense of funny…which is evidenced in his routines about being in the Army, such as Army speak is a whole different language. Richard was paying attention and I know Richard is paying attention today and is happy with this honor bestowed upon his memory.
[hr]

I'll let ya'll know how it goes.

Luv Ya
Jennifer
White Honkey Bitch In Charge

Re: NAACP Military Service Award

Post by Jennifer »

Well, I ended up improvising a little;
I began with:

"I should be getting one of these honors, you see there is something you all don't know about me. I served two active tours, I married Richard twice. "(hear the drum beat)

and then...
"We know Richard didn't have the illustrious career in the Army as some of these esteemed veterans in this room...however, Richard protected you from a lot of white, German women!"

[img]http://www.richardpryor.com/forums/atta ... NAACP1.jpg[/img]
[img]https://richardpryor.com/forums/images/ ... NAACP1.jpg[/img]