Do we have to deduct some points from Richard Pryror's legacy for the 'bad' films...?

Discussions about comedians and comedy in general go here.

Moderators: bingolong, Jennifer, tamra

Forum rules
Spam is not allowed. All spammers will be blocked and reported to appropriate agencies.
SJD

Do we have to deduct some points from Richard Pryror's legacy for the 'bad' films...?

Post by SJD »

No not me!... I do not at all think this. Not my question. I would never even think such things. This was a question posed from Adam Carolla. I just summized it in the most kindest way I could. I apologies in advance if I have offended anyone. It was just I too suprised when I heard this. Ok here is a short highlite from what was said...

'Don't we have to deduct some points' from his legacy for all the (blippty di boop boop) movies these guys have made.... and people go 'ah he's just doing it for the money or whatever' but don't we get to deduct some points..Does that not tarnish your legacy?..' 8-O

Continue reading before you get riled up.
I usually listen to Carolla's podcast. The guests' he gets are really interesting and the way he has the format. It is pretty funny. He asks some questions that make the guests' a little uncomfortable but they sometime comply. I just knew from the man show. But now I hear he is one of the most downloaded guys on ITunes.

Now the other day I was listening to him and he usually get in these long humorous monologues some subject. Now he started doing that on the subject of stand ups. He mentioned Chris Rock and why does he name his specials' with such confrontational titles, but he's slim and his height is not so tall. Then how their legacy should be put to question when they do films that are not good, to him, and even some that they wrote and directed, I am paraphrasing and keeping it not as profane, not that I am a pilgrim just don't wanna say these things about Mr. Pryor, you'll get to here that on your own.
Then Richard Pryor's name was mention. To be fair he did say, before he started his monologue, 'It's sacrilegious. I'd say the same about Richard Pryor...' That you can listen to for yourself.

Now he says alot in most shows that I donnot agree with. He really blows out of proportion alot of things when he himself dislikes something. In an earlier show he said that John Lennon's solo work was not so very great.
So he posed the question.

What do you guys have to say about his query that was posed? Me I enjoyed those films.
I don't know but did Mr. Pryor ever mentioned anything about those films that were disatisfactory of his involvment?

Now if you want to hear it from his voice on the show go here on the right side of the screen there is a text that reads listen now. Go there and click on the Doug Benson interview. Or go to Itunes too......[At 11:52 he starts talking about Chris Rock and then Mr. Pryor after, or both together.
http://www.adamcarolla.com/ACPBlog/2009 ... ug-benson/ - Episode that poses the questions mention above that involve Chris Rock and Richard Pryor'
...make your own assesments

...................Long Live Pryor!
and God Bless all.........cool?...cool :D ):)
[hr] This quote comes from a self description of one of the greatest wrestlers there is,[BR] Bret " The Hitman " Hart, and it very well is what Mr. Richard Pryor is to stand-up...

" The Best There Is...
The Best There Was...
and The Best There Ever Will Be!"
bingolong
King of the Smilies

Re: Do we have to deduct some points from Richard Pryror's legacy for the 'bad' films...?

Post by bingolong »

SJD,
I have loved alot of Richards Movies.....as a matter of fact I was on his movies before I ever appreciated his stand up (being younger I always would catch the stand up on cable and it would a monolouge about heart that wouldnt catch me) I had to hit puberty to get it....so flicks like Bustin Loose and The Toy were classics to me as a child!!
I went to Zimbabwe. I know how white people feel in America now; relaxed! Cause when I heard the police car I knew they weren't coming after me! 
hellifiknow

Re: Do we have to deduct some points from Richard Pryror's legacy for the 'bad' films...?

Post by hellifiknow »

SJD,
No offense but who the fuck is Adam Carolla? What I mean is I had to search his name and vaguely remember him as the not funny guy on The Man Show. From what I've seen his legacy is based on sniveling and whining about shit most people don't care about. Hopefully he will follow his career into the light.

Peace! We all know Richard Pryor never made a bad movie! :)
"boy, go get me something to beat your ass with" RP
EddieHill

Post by EddieHill »

SJD,
I saw The Mack 1973 film for the first time and Richard played a friend of a pimp. It was a alright, it showed a lot of old school people back in the day pimpin.
smjmcomic

Post by smjmcomic »

SJD,

Dude can we be fair here?

If that were the case then you would have to deduct points from about 90% of all the top comics in the past 50 years. The other 10% would be the comics who just stuck to stand up and not film.

Even if some of his movies were "bad" Ill tell you right now then and now theres somany comics who's best movie's doent even come close to Mr.P's "bad" movies.

WERE TALKING ABOUT THERE BABE RUTH OF COMEDY HERE!
"I'm on the Zoloft to keep from killing y'all"

Mike Tyson
SPOTLIGHT

Post by SPOTLIGHT »

SJD,
I personally do not believe you have to deduct pts. due to the movies that may not been satisfactory. I am a relative--distant, of Richard's never met him would of liked to, and I did not agree w/everything he said however, he told the truth and was funny, dark humor yet ethnic/universial comedy. :(