Born Standing Up by Steve Martin

Discussions about comedians and comedy in general go here.

Moderators: bingolong, Jennifer, tamra

Forum rules
Spam is not allowed. All spammers will be blocked and reported to appropriate agencies.
robfharris

Born Standing Up by Steve Martin

Post by robfharris »

GREAT BOOK...
Read it in 2 days, then I read it again. OH YEAH, it has pictures, got to give it up for 'filler'.
Now that Johnnie's gone, I guess I should start being nice to the cops.
walrusjk

Re: Born Standing Up by Steve Martin

Post by walrusjk »

robfharris,
I'm glad you liked it. I gotta get it. I love Martin. Last time he was on Letterman Dave introduces him . You know "Ladies and gentlemen...Steve Martin." The audience applauds and he doesn't come out so Dave has a camera man go from his desk to the Green room. Camera guy knocks on the door, opens it and Martin has a male stripper dancing in front of him as he's sitting on the couch with a big laughing grin on his face stuffing dollar bills into the stripper's shorts. Acts shocked and embarrassed when realizes he's on camera , gathers himself and walks to Dave's desk and sits down to be interviewed. It was hilarious. He was there to plug the book. Dave says "I understand you brought a clip of your new project which is a book." Martin says .."Ya I put something together." They go to clip which is Martin sitting in his room, in front of a computer with a frustrated look on his face. It lasted about 20 seconds and that was the clip....
robfharris

Post by robfharris »

walrusjk,
I love when Steve Martin is on Letterman, he seems to really enjoy himself when he visits. Outside of award shows the only time I've ever seen him do anything close to stand-up is on Letterman. Some years ago on Letterman, Martin did the "Great Flyzini". He doesn't say ANYTHING, but does magic tricks through the unzipped fly of his pants.

Get the book!
Now that Johnnie's gone, I guess I should start being nice to the cops.
Appaloosa

Post by Appaloosa »

robfharris,
you missed when Steve Martin was on the tonight show with Johnny Carson....he did a lot of stand up on that show...i like the happy feet he did an he was a wild an crazy guy...and he did the SNL show with Dan Akroyd.....as foreign guys...all this stuff set up his stuff now...
mojones

Post by mojones »

Appaloosa,

Steve Martin is truly an original. While everyone else were doing watergate and disco jokes, Martin carved out a wonderful niche for himself. Nobody else has been quite able to fill his shoes since. Though, you see shades of it with Mitch Fatel at times....
Appaloosa

Post by Appaloosa »

mojones,
ok ive never seen Mitch Fatel before.....but Martin did the character The Jerk very good....