Eddie Griffin yanked off stage?? wth???

Discussions about comedians and comedy in general go here.

Moderators: bingolong, Jennifer, tamra

Forum rules
Spam is not allowed. All spammers will be blocked and reported to appropriate agencies.
tamra
Pryor's Planet Volunteer Extraordinaire

Eddie Griffin yanked off stage?? wth???

Post by tamra »

and at an event sponsored by Black Enterprise??

http://www.finance.tmz.com/2007/09/04/s ... g-n-bomb/4 - tmz.com'

okay, I heard this on the news this morning, and I guess we need to hear the act, or hear Eddie's side. this is getting ridiculous. when does comedy factor in over common sense?? 8-o

you know what we need: a panel of black folks (let's start with Colin Powell and Oprah & Gayle :lol: j/k)to hold up signs to alert people "this use of the word nigga in this context is okay". what's also "funny" is how people are claiming it's offensive but use it privately or ignore its use daily. I hear nigga so much on subways daily (and from kids too), what am I supposed to do - call the conductor and say "ut oooh, they used the word nigga, they have to go!"

and Earl Graves, well, he reminds me of someone who sat right next to Frederick Douglas, and probably still "channels" him. so why Eddie Griffin would be invited WITHOUT knowing his comedy style is strange. sounds like a setup to me.
---
huh? what? who? damn, I'm always the last to know.
bcddjjsc690

Re: Eddie Griffith yanked off stage?? wth???

Post by bcddjjsc690 »

tamra,

by trying to stop the use of the word, they are giving it's meaning more power, revitalizing it ,
In my lifetime , in my opinion , it has been losing strength ,it's hatefulness less hurtful , it was becoming just another word,

What had become more important was how we were treated as a people / race.

So to me it's not the use of the word ,
It's more important how America views people of color ,
And I don't think a comedians performance is the right forum to get high and mighty.
"you must be out-cho god-dammed mind "
Murphdogg
Foot Kisser

Post by Murphdogg »

tamra,
from what I heard, this was at a uppitiy Gold tournament, what the hell were they thinking hiring Eddie in the first place? did they even bother to watch his act before hiring him?
Shane God Damned Murphy

shanescomedy.com
tamra
Pryor's Planet Volunteer Extraordinaire

Post by tamra »

bcddjjsc690 & Murphdogg,

yup I agree with you both.

for some reason comedy & Black Enterprise don't match to me. when I first heard the story on local news, I thought I misheard Black Entertainment TV, not Black Enterprise. 8-o

I can't even see Earl Graves laughing. @.@ he's too stiff looking. I can't even see him watching Sanford & Son, and from what I hear the word nigger is being removed from episodes, which is just ridiculous. @.@

I truly think Griffith was set up from the start. in other words paid to be made an example of
---
huh? what? who? damn, I'm always the last to know.
mojones

Post by mojones »

tamra, murphdogg,

Why go with Griffin to begin with? He couldn't have been the cheapest out there, could he? It just boggles the mind. Contrary to popular belief, there are black comedians out there who don't swear and use the "N-word." Why not go with them? Vince Morris. Rondell Sheridan. Rahn Ramey. Shari Shepherd. And (ahem) Houston's own Billy D. Washington! They could've easily booked one of these comics in Griffin's place.

This is Black Enterprise we're talking about -- supposedly a group of businessmen. What, they forgot how to do research? This sounds like a set-up to me...maybe for publicity purposes. I'm not sure...Just seems kind of odd..
bingolong
King of the Smilies

Post by bingolong »

mojones,
Yeah them niggas crazy!!!! "Kramer" says nigger and now we get our feeling hurt!!

But the real truth is that obviously the wounds of the past wil never heal in America
I went to Zimbabwe. I know how white people feel in America now; relaxed! Cause when I heard the police car I knew they weren't coming after me! 
mojones

Post by mojones »

bingolong,

I'm starting to agree with you. Nothing can really be done. Just when we start making progress in racial relations, it seems like something come to ruin it all. Sad. I have no answers....