LaffStop Houston?

Discussions about comedians and comedy in general go here.

Moderators: bingolong, Jennifer, tamra

Forum rules
Spam is not allowed. All spammers will be blocked and reported to appropriate agencies.
mojones

LaffStop Houston?

Post by mojones »

I hope I'm wrong. But it's only a matter of time before the LaffStop in Houston, Texas bites the dust. Since the move from West Gray to Allen Parkway, the club has been struggling. Parking is virtually non-existent and the Improv is quickly becoming the club fo choice in town. Pete's gone now...but his outster may be too little too late. Hopefully, I'm wrong and the Stop will endure for millenias to come. But it's doubtful... 8-o
Murphdogg
Foot Kisser

Re: LaffStop Houston?

Post by Murphdogg »

mojones,
sorry to hear that it's always bad when a club shuts down, less options for the comics, at one time sac had 5 comedy clubs now we are down to two. I don't know about down there, but the road pay for a comic up here hasn't went up since the 80's!!! Okay enough pissing and moaning, I couldn't stop doing comedy if I tried.
Shane God Damned Murphy

shanescomedy.com
siggers

Post by siggers »

mojones,
NO! How will i do my comedy then? Thats the only club i know of that does open mics! DAMN DAMN DAMN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
mojones

Post by mojones »

siggers,

There's always Rudyards on Waugh. Al B. pretty much runs that one and he'll let anyone go up. After tomorrow night's show (Sept. 11), they'll open the floor if you want to do time. The improv ocassionally do open mikes...but that's mostly by invitation only. So Rudz (nickname for Rudyards) is your best bet.

Its in the same vicinity as the LaffStop...so you wouldn't have to drive too far away. But hey -- continue to support the LaffStop. Rudyards will always be there. They're not really a comedy club...they're just a venue for the blissfully pretentious -- they do comedy on the side.

The market for comedy down here isn't too good. You can hit the road -- doing parts of Louisiana -- but the pay isn't exceptional. of course, a rational person would give it up. But comedy and reason aren't exactly synoymous...
siggers

Post by siggers »

mojones,
OK but the thing is I haven’t performed yet I had so many problems and me being a procrastinator doesn’t help. But now I am getting back on track and in four months, maybe five, I should be very ready I have written over 700 jokes, I have put down my on stage persona something that amplifies myself not something I made up.

I have bought comedy books, I have bought a recorder, I have bought notepads, pocket note pads, I write on my computer, I got every single thing down except NO STAGE TIME.
mojones

Post by mojones »

siggers,

It is absolutely -- positively -- unequivocably -- imperative that you get some stage time under your belt. There is such a thing as analyzing too much. Research is great. But all the books in the world won't necessarily make you a great comedian. Only the stage can do that. To put things in a western philosophical context, stand up comedy falls more into the empiricist rather than rationalist tradition. That is, you have to do it -- experience trumps theory! But what do I know? I'm no expert.

One more thing. You can do stand up at a number of unconventional venues. Social engagements, receptions, church services, classroom assignments -- Nobody has to know you're doing portions of your act. Just leave out the profanity. Recently I had to attend a funeral of an old friend. People were asked to share their memories of the deceased. One person after another took to the lectern and wallowed in depression. It was like 9-11 in there!

Eventually, I was forced to go up and I just started telling jokes. The jokes, of course, related to the deceased -- but they were jokes nevertheless. The crowd loved me. Of course they did. They were looking for some levity and I gave it to them. My point is ideally, stand up should be done onstage in a comedy club. But sometimes you got to be creative -- seize the opportunity whenever it presents itself. Do some time somewhere for whatever reason you can find...but do the time...and let us know about it...
siggers

Post by siggers »

mojones,
That’s the thing, I do that allot I tell jokes and see how they do and for the most part im funny. But I was depressed for a year and now I finally got my confidence and I am shooting for allot now.
mojones

Post by mojones »

siggers,

Let me get this straight. You were depressed for a year? If so, then you are ideally suited for stand up -- my friend. You can stop looking. Comedy is probably your niche. Every comic I know suffers from some sort of depression. So you're in good company. Let me know when you do finally get the chance to go up, I'd love to catch you act.....and I reside in the area
siggers

Post by siggers »

mojones,
Thanx man but I have had problems my entire life. I suffer from, frequent paranoia, schizophrenia, bi-polar, and depression. I had very low self esteem and no self worth, I had girls reject me and friends betray me I sort of cling to people that were nice to me so I can have acceptance.

But all my girlfriends see this is what happened, that made me sulk for a year. I was worry about my sick grandma, I had a girlfriend I was deeply in love with and she ended up leaving me for another dude, a dude I hated. So right there I was already pissed, then I find out she had sex with the dude just after three weeks, and he didn’t use a condom and nutted in her so she thought she was pregnant.

Then I find out another one of my ex girls had sex with a dude like 19 times and stuff just after meeting him for a month and I been with her for two years and she ain’t did shit with me. That along with my friends trippin my family trippin fucked my head up. But now im so clam and different and look at the world different.
Murphdogg
Foot Kisser

Post by Murphdogg »

siggers, yep you sound like a stand up comic alright..
Shane God Damned Murphy

shanescomedy.com