Why Dave Instead Of Chris?

Discussions about comedians and comedy in general go here.

Moderators: bingolong, Jennifer, tamra

Forum rules
Spam is not allowed. All spammers will be blocked and reported to appropriate agencies.
siggers

Why Dave Instead Of Chris?

Post by siggers »

I heard Richard Passed the torch to Chappelle. My question is why Dave instead of Chris Rock. Chris has had more of an impact on comedy hen David. Five HBO specials and such. Dave only has one and it does seem like Chris really talks out issues and is named the funniest comedian in America.

Chris body of work is more profound then Dave, not saying Dave doesn’t state issues, and is brilliant in his own league. But Chris was named number five in Comedy centrals 100 GREATEST STAND UPS OF ALL TIME, Dave 43 so what did rich see in Chappelle that he didn’t in rock?
smjmcomic

Re: Why Dave Instead Of Chris?

Post by smjmcomic »

siggers,

Dave doesnt cheapen the art by doing subpar movies. Chris rock has made some really shitty choices in the past few years. That list you talk about is going on 4 years old truck me Dave has climbed at least a dozen places by now.

Dave's hot right young people love him! Rock's on his way out!
"I'm on the Zoloft to keep from killing y'all"

Mike Tyson
siggers

Post by siggers »

smjmcomic,
I see ok he is working on his 5th HBO special now but i see what your saying thanx.
Murphdogg
Foot Kisser

Post by Murphdogg »

siggers,
there's no bad choice either way. My guess is because the Chappell show was ground breaking in the way the Pryor Show was. Skits like Clayton Bixby were pretty groundbreaking. It's been a couple of years I think we've all forgotten how damned funny the Chappell show was.
Shane God Damned Murphy

shanescomedy.com
tamra
Pryor's Planet Volunteer Extraordinaire

Post by tamra »

siggers,

huh? Dave Chappelle has been doing standup since the early 80s, including on televised shows. Chappelle has also had more than one comedy special. for some reason his first Showtime special hasn't been aired much. only his most recent/last one.

Chris Rock has just had more visibility with SNL, movies and several Emmy winning specials.
---
huh? what? who? damn, I'm always the last to know.
NathanO

Post by NathanO »

siggers,

Dave just seems more real to me. You gots to keep it real. Chris looks polished to me, but he has some good material. And it just seems like that, good material.

Compare Chappelle's Show to Everybody Hates Chris.

Dave's 6 hour stand up gig is pretty impressive too, especially the crowd reaction. Must of been Great.

PS: Hello everyone, my first post. Double strength coffee this morning. Great place b.b and thanks for putting it up :) I have some puppy photos I'll post sooner or later ):) I know you'll love em.
Murphdogg
Foot Kisser

Post by Murphdogg »

NathanO,
welcome on board by god
Shane God Damned Murphy

shanescomedy.com
bingolong
King of the Smilies

Post by bingolong »

siggers,
Well Chapelle's comedy is closer in spirit to Richard's style. Chris Rock's comedy is just as much George Carlin inspired as it is Richard inspired...Rock has said that in the past....ain't nothing wrong with that b/c Carlin is among the top 2 comics ever, second only to Pryor in Comedy Central ranking, so it's all good.
I went to Zimbabwe. I know how white people feel in America now; relaxed! Cause when I heard the police car I knew they weren't coming after me! 
siggers

Post by siggers »

Thanx guys for the responses, It was just was fucking with me. I love them both, and it seems Chapplle will have no part in televised comedy anymore. Good thing Chris is doing his 5th HBO special, i like Chris just a tad more not much tho.

And it's funny so many people love Carlin, even black people say he is an inspiration. And i think it's becuase he tells the truth and shit like that.
Jennifer
White Honkey Bitch In Charge

Post by Jennifer »

bingolong,
Thank you for answering this!