Does Carlin ever come off too much like a lunatic?

Discussions about comedians and comedy in general go here.

Moderators: bingolong, Jennifer, tamra

Forum rules
Spam is not allowed. All spammers will be blocked and reported to appropriate agencies.
walrusjk

Does Carlin ever come off too much like a lunatic?

Post by walrusjk »

Don't get me wrong I like this guy but sometimes I'm wondering about what makes this guy tick when I see his stand up. Starts commenting on words and phrases used in modern language and plays out every scenerio on how they're fucked up. It was cool with the "7 dirty words that can't be said on tv" but lately it's starting to sound a little more paranoid than funny. Maybe not paranoid but embarrasingly forced to make a point he made decades ago.
mojones

Re: Does Carlin ever come off too much like a lunatic?

Post by mojones »

walrusjk,

Yeah. We should all be as looney as Carlin. He's only one of the most successful comedians of all time. And not just monetarily either! The guy is a genuine patriarch of new school comedy. Lenny Bruce, Richard Pryor and George Carlin -- there's your trinity right there. Consequently, any idiosyncratic behavior on behalf of Carlin can be overlooked. Now Carrot Top -- that's a different story...
walrusjk

Post by walrusjk »

mojones,
Whoops sorry. I obviously hit a nerve. When I think of it he is a genuinely smart and a caring comedian and person. My only point is I think his hostility has got in the way of the comedy in his later years. Like I said I do like him. I have a cool story about him...
A girl I know used to chef at "Celebrity Theatre" here in Phoenix several years ago in the late seventies. She's a classic New York Italian, very nice and quirky, etc. You know quick to laugh, joke and get pissed off if you pushed her. We were friends in the 80's. Used to hang out and get high.. any way one time she whips out a letter Carlin wrote her when he had an extended stay where she worked. It was during his coke days and it went on forever. Both sides of the paper just packed in long hand rambling with about 7 sheets in all. I don't remember much but it was funny and very good hearted. They were both New Yorkers and George was obviously a little wired. He just started to write a note to the gal who had been cooking for him and went nuts. That makes him a cool guy in my book....
mojones

Post by mojones »

walrusjk,

No nerve was struck. Sorry if you took it that way. I just thought I'd put everything in perspective. You may very well be right about his hostility. But the guy has been kicking ass for over 3 decades -- cut him some slack! Most comedians use one 60 minute set throughout a 20 year career. Carlin develops a new set almost every 2 years or so. That kind of pressure will make you hostile...I get irritable after 20 minutes...
walrusjk

Post by walrusjk »

mojones,
You know what they say about a guy who doesn't play with his balls enough? He gets irritable. The more he doesn't play with his balls the more irritable he gets. The more irritable he gets makes him even more irritable. Then since he's irritable he gets even more irritable which makes.. (Mojones shouts) "Will you shut up!" (I go).."See? I told you. Your irritable!" ......Old Barney and Andy routine. I love you Mojones. Carlin is way cool with no flaws.
abnormalandbitchy

Post by abnormalandbitchy »

walrusjk,
I personaly LOVE carlin hes right under richard, I mean this man has no fear saying anything and he speak his mind not many others are willing to stand up and say fuck the goverment and speak so openly on topics such as human behavior.Suicide , Crime, Politics, Ect. I loved his show "Life is worth loseing I commend him however lunny he may sound the man has got more balls then say mencia and all those fuckers!
Behind every beautiful thing there is some kind of pain - Bob Dylan