How do comedy writers work?

Discussions about comedians and comedy in general go here.

Moderators: bingolong, Jennifer, tamra

Forum rules
Spam is not allowed. All spammers will be blocked and reported to appropriate agencies.
walrusjk

How do comedy writers work?

Post by walrusjk »

I know they write jokes but are there categories like I'm a sit-com writer or I'm a stand-up writer? How do most of these people end up as writers? Do they struggle and get a break? Know the right person? Become singularly focused and spend years getting there? I guess what I'm trying to get at is who and how do you become a comedy writer? Since I have your attention...what is the best intimate moisturizer? Do I need to go to a pharmacy or sex shop? Should I read the label carefully or grab it off the shelf, look both ways and head to the counter quickly? Who's my real father?....
Murphdogg
Foot Kisser

Re: How do comedy writers work?

Post by Murphdogg »

walrusjk,
allot of folks were ex stand ups who became writers.
Shane God Damned Murphy

shanescomedy.com
walrusjk

Post by walrusjk »

Murphdogg,
Works the the other way too. Writers become stand-ups ie. Steve Martin. Is my question too vague? Too many possible answers?
tamra
Pryor's Planet Volunteer Extraordinaire

Post by tamra »

walrusjk,

ways someone ends up as a writer: blow jobs in back alleys, casting couch, bribes, expensive gifts.

I have an opening tomorrow at 10:00 :) if interested, have your people call my people and we'll "do lunch". ;-)

seriously, I would think networking also helps. find someone who writes, even for Broadway/theater comedies and get involved. someone's bound to notice.

but like Murph says, most are ex-comics, or have worked on comedy series as contributors previously
---
huh? what? who? damn, I'm always the last to know.