SAM KINISON LIFE STORY.

Discussions about comedians and comedy in general go here.

Moderators: bingolong, Jennifer, tamra

Forum rules
Spam is not allowed. All spammers will be blocked and reported to appropriate agencies.
siggers

SAM KINISON LIFE STORY.

Post by siggers »

Last week, Julie Seabaugh of the Las Vegas Weekly completed a two-part oral history of the life of Sam Kinison fifteen years after he died in a car accident with a drunk driver on a highway near sin city. (Part One | Part Two) The interview subjects are obviously going to be filled with wild man stories, particular in the second part which are the more misogynistic "Wild Thing" years. But there's plenty of insight to be had beyond the addiction parts of the tale.

First off, Sam Kinison originally began doing comedy with props. Yes, props. Sam Kinison, however briefly, flirted with the dangerous, much derided discipline of prop comedy. The only thing worse would be, "Sam Kinison played in prop comedy. But he stopped. But can you imagine if he stuck with it? I think it would go something like this..."

And, in a reference that would probably put another wrinkle on the current joke stealing debates, filmmaker Kevin Booth mentions that Bill Hicks and Sam accused the other of stealing. Bill thought Sam took some of his material. And Sam thought Bill was taking his act, which, if you follow the chain of previous accusations made by Hicks, means Denis Leary stole from Sam. I don't know whether to put much stock in this - I've never compared the two because though they influenced each other, they're both obviously unique artists. One of the reasons stealing accusations may never been followed up on in the past is because bad blood, like the kind that came between Hicks and Kinison, tainted them.

There's also lots of great details about the 80s era Comedy Store, which will probably give you an idea of why Joe Rogan, among other comics, revere it. Another surprise is the passing mention of Rita Rudner and Kinison conidering doing a movie together. It actually sounds like a not-bad idea with Kinison as a newly released convict and Rudner as the woman who married him in prison. Still to many it'll sound like a pairing that would play at Hades Cinemas 24.

Sam sounds bigger than life for much of the piece. If you're looking for something that's a bit more of the man than legend, it's not this. But the legend is kind of the fun part anyway, right? My favorite story in here has to be from Ralphie May, who hung with the comic when he won the chance to open for him at 17. At the after party afterwards

anyone want to read about his entire life here are the two posts

http://www.lasvegasweekly.com/2007/04/05/feature1.html

http://www.lasvegasweekly.com/2007/04/12/feature3.html
tamra
Pryor's Planet Volunteer Extraordinaire

Re: SAM KINISON LIFE STORY.

Post by tamra »

siggers,

what interested me about his life was he was a minister. so I can never get this picture out of my head of him yelling during a sermon like he did during comedy: Do u love Jesus? ACCEPT THE LORD JESUS CHRIST AS YOUR SAVIOR MOTHERFUCKER!!! ACCEPT HIM!!! followed by that wicked signature laugh :lol:

my favorite skit is when he's talking about kids in Ethiopia starving. he's like, fuck I know the film crew can give this kid a sandwich. but his In Living Color guest appearances were priceless. :)
---
huh? what? who? damn, I'm always the last to know.
siggers

Post by siggers »

tamra,
i loved when he talked about his ex girlfriends, i must say he is the best relationship comic i ever seen.
bcddjjsc690

Post by bcddjjsc690 »

siggers,

yeah He did wonders for marraige counseling,
:lol: :lol:
Sam was great he went from stand up comedian
to actor , to rock star , in such a short time , and went off like Dynamite in all of his performances.
"you must be out-cho god-dammed mind "
bcddjjsc690

Post by bcddjjsc690 »

- SK'
"you must be out-cho god-dammed mind "
Murphdogg
Foot Kisser

Post by Murphdogg »

bcddjjsc690,
Sam was a shining star for sure. He did alot of anti gay stuff though that I think wouldn't of worked now in this politically correct day and age..But then again maybe he'd of made it work cause he was sam by god kinison!!!!!
Shane God Damned Murphy

shanescomedy.com