Chris Rock, Film Flop?

Discussions about comedians and comedy in general go here.

Moderators: bingolong, Jennifer, tamra

Forum rules
Spam is not allowed. All spammers will be blocked and reported to appropriate agencies.
Anditsdeeptoo

Chris Rock, Film Flop?

Post by Anditsdeeptoo »

Right behind TMIC i'm a huge fan of Chris Rock, yet he never seems to deliver on the big screen, either the movie is obnoxiously bad or his acting is rigid and forced. I want to check out I Think I Love my Wife, but it's getting panned everywhere, what is it about C. Rock that doesn't translate in the movies?

Re: Chris Rock, Film Flop?

Post by Murphdogg »

Anditsdeeptoo, I've always wondered that to. He was funny in his small part in I'm gonna git you sucka. Some of it may be some of the generic movies he's been in.
Shane God Damned Murphy

shanescomedy.com
chelcie3

Post by chelcie3 »

Anditsdeeptoo,
Well if you cant act or direct then you shouldn't do either. He should just stick to writing.
" And I tell ya' one other thang...
somebody stole my piece a' chicken!"
"And I hopes ya' choke on tha' goddamn bone!!"
Richard Pryor from Which Way is Up
tis2flyyy

Post by tis2flyyy »

Murphdogg,

See what I am saying.....they always HATING on a brother up in here.

Ain't that a bitch. Can't give a brother no bit of damn respect or credit.

& what kills me is...the people that are popping shit...if they put ALL of their chips together - they still would not have enough to light a candle to Chris, Katt, Eddie, Bernie, Cedric, Steve, D.L - none of them brothers.

I ain't gettting paid to support these brothers, but I'll be damn if I stand by and allow the hating go one...then they turn around and give some dry ass comic major cudo's.

Dizzy ass people, I swear.

& Yes, I am being radical than a MF today, because I a SICK & DAMN tired of all of the hate.
Where is the LOVE?
Anditsdeeptoo

Post by Anditsdeeptoo »

tis2flyyy,

No hate at all here, just curious. The man is a comedic genius, nobody can deny that, but he has never been able to deliver on film. Why is he above fair criticism? I would never say he should stop doing movies, I just wonder why he has never fufilled his potential on screen like he's been able to do with his stand-up/ TV Show. I hardly call this Hating.
White Honkey Bitch In Charge

Post by Jennifer »

tis2flyyy,
I know Chris, I love the guy, so did Richard...he has never been able to make a good movie...
where the fuck you get off going off on everyone about being racist...I swear girl...YOU ARE THE RACIST HERE...
mojones

Post by mojones »

Anditsdeeptoo,

I heard his latest movie was a step in the right direction. But given Rock's track record, thats not saying much. Seriously, though, maybe he needs an objective hand to guide him. He's a fantastic comedian...but not so great with producing and directing movies. Sometimes it helps, if you had an outsider to do those things for you. Like Anne Rice when she stopped using an editor....her work suffered. She's still rich because she' Anne Rice. But her stuff isn't as engaging as before...sometimes another party is needed to pick the right project
tamra
Pryor's Planet Volunteer Extraordinaire

Post by tamra »

Anditsdeeptoo,

I enjoyed Down To Earth very much. I laugh every time I watch it. also, his voice over in Dr. Doolittle is hilarious, along w/John Leguizamo's in Dr. Doolittle 2.

I think this I Think I Love My Wife movie is being compared more to a comedy than a serious adult topic - how to keep the marriage alive and NOT cheat when the marriage becomes boring.

and me personally, I'd rather see any Chris Rock movie than any thing by the "critically acclaimed" Woody Allen. pedophiles just don't amuse me for some reason, but they sure delight critics which says a lot about those mothas! :lol:
---
huh? what? who? damn, I'm always the last to know.
Jennifer
White Honkey Bitch In Charge

Post by Jennifer »

tis2flyyy,
Your lobbying folks to start shit on this site...is uncalled for;
Marion removed herself...we didn't kick her off...and the same racist retoric is boring, useless and ignorant...
Vero

Post by Vero »

tis2flyyy,

Yo!Yo! tis2flyyyy..what?what? LOL. You don't know me from the man in the moon but I don't know you neitha - but I have to say...
Chris Rock is great in the supporting man roles. He's proven that. He is a comic who IS sitcom. That's great and okay. He's not a leadng man. He can't "Carry" a movie that the average person wants to pay 10.00 (20 w/popcorn) to see "At The Movies". His shit straight to video is FABULOUS. Please don't deny the mediocrecy of "I Think I Love My Wife". It was made to make a million or five...lol..."A Deal Finisher" sort of speak. Mr. Rock wasn't expecting an oscar for this particular performance. No worries, he'll come correct with his genuis in a heavier role. Trust! I believe anyway.

Vero...from the projects:)