Comics and performance artists of all flavors...

Discussions about comedians and comedy in general go here.

Moderators: bingolong, Jennifer, tamra

Forum rules
Spam is not allowed. All spammers will be blocked and reported to appropriate agencies.
Inkblot

Comics and performance artists of all flavors...

Post by Inkblot »

If you have a comedy or performance site and would like to list your URL I'd be more than happy to trade links with you.

http://www.Inkblot.com

Denis Leary once said something along the lines that Keith Richards of the Rolling Stones told kids not to do drugs. Denis then said "Keith, we can't do any more drugs because you already did them all!" Same goes with the immense comic talent of Richard Pryor as how can any one of us be any funnier or break new ground when Richard already did it all?

Inkblot
Gareth

Re: Comics and performance artists of all flavors...

Post by Gareth »

Inkblot,
well, i agree. richard busted down a lot of doors... but im sure there is a few more to go.

however, rich... you didnt leave us with many...

gotta roll with the times i guess. pretty soon they will invent new drugs, that keith richards has never heard of. and maybe someone will put up some more doors to bash through. time will tell...

gareth
Jennifer
White Honkey Bitch In Charge

Post by Jennifer »

Gareth,
well you and Inkblot are both right and not:
As Murphy told Dave CHappelle once-"Richard Pryor maxed out comedy"-Dave said it was the worst day of his life hearing that!
I think the truth is: you all have to pick up where RIchard left off-right now-there really isn't any dangerous comedy going on-CHris ROck can get close, and Dave certainly can too-but the hardest thing to do is experience silence on stage and nowadays, everyone wants the MTV moments-a laugh a minute-a shock a second and ya gotta feel those silences and work with em-RIchard used to get on stage withouot knowing where he was going-and he would find a destination when he was on that stage and then go for it and then night after night rework that material he found on stage the night before-that's how he developed his shit.Yah-sometimes, he got onstage with an idea but he was never afraid to be afraid -and experience those moments when all he was doing was waiting for the magic to hit-
Dangerous comedy is the truth-talk about what truth in in your hearts-what's going on in the world-at home with your girl-the truth boys and girls will set you free! Oh yeah!jlp (with RP smiling knowingly over my shoulder)!
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

Jennifer,
yeah, totally. i almost feel like dave's show on comedy central something richard helped pave the way for. i really like dave... and i think he is doing good stuff.

i mean... i crack up just watching the commercials for his shows, even if i have seen them like 15 times... "im rick james bitch!"

i dunno what anyone elses thoughts on dave are... but he gets two thumbs up from me, no question about it. i look forward to meeting him someday. :)

also, i TOTALLY agree about silence. as they always say (and for life, not just comedy)... timing is everything.

gareth
Inkblot

Post by Inkblot »

Hey Gareth... Yeah, Dave Chappelle is a great breath of fresh air in comedy and he doesn't apologize for it and that's what sets him apart from the crowd as too far isn't really far enough and we need that in the world right now and always, someone who isn't afraid to test the bounds and push the limits of our own realities. Dave really is quite original and unique, just like the rest of us.

I think that you are absolutely right with being in the moment and letting it come to you Jennifer. My own shows, which is a mix of comedy, performance art, theatre and storytelling, are maybe a little too much for most people to be able to handle or stomach and I couldn't see my material ever reaching more than a niche audience, excluding those who like it but who won't admit it, which is perfectly fine with me. I do this more for myself first and foremost than for anyone else and that's how I let go and I'm able to find myself as you have to do it for yourself first and only then are you really able to share your complete visions and experiences with others.

Inkblot
Vee

Post by Vee »

Inkblot,

MAn!!!!! I'm looking at this websight and the love that is given to all of you from Jennifer Pryor. Wow!!!! This shit is cool. If I was an comedian this is where I would like to hang out. I'm reading the postings between you, Inkblot and Jennifer...and it's like you niggas are sitting in the living room having a beer. I totally appreciate that. THERE IS HOPE IN THE WORLD!!!!!
LoveYALongTimeNegro!

Vee