12/1/1940...

Tell us why you love Richard Pryor so much. Send Richard your love messages.

Moderators: bingolong, Jennifer, tamra

Forum rules
Spam is not allowed. All spammers will be blocked and reported to appropriate agencies.
Stephen Robinson

12/1/1940...

Post by Stephen Robinson »

This is the day when the world became a great deal funnier and more honest. I miss Richard -- even though he had retired more or less from the world of comedy, it was reassuring to know he was still there.

What I've learned, though, in the year since he left us is that his work was so powerful and so true, that he'll always be here. It's both saddening and inspiring that routines Richard performed 35 years ago sound as if they are directly addressing the recent shooting of Sean Bell in New York. It's sad that some things don't change but inspiring to know that Richard's words will always ring true.

Richard is recognized as a master of his artform, but I always thought stand-up comedy was too confining and in many ways inaccurate a description of what he did. You can compare him to great comedians past and present, but to me, he was up there with Richard Wright, Ralph Ellison, and James Baldwin. His work ws genuine literature and his performances on stage, with his cast of characters so full of life and humanity, was theater in the vein of August Wilson.

So, this is a day on which I remember Richard and all those characters I love: Allwell B.T. Johnson, who represented the unbroken spirit of a people too proud to "no nothing about no ass whupin'!," the folks at the crap game, his heart that failed him, the "things in the woods," and the animals he met in Africa.

Happy birthday, Richard.
Mister Gee

Re: 12/1/1940...

Post by Mister Gee »

Stephen Robinson,

Yeah, that's the date the stakes on the Comedy crap table got raised beyond excellance! Happy birthday Rich, wherever you are in heaven, I know that the angels are laughing!

Peace gee ;)
Jennifer
White Honkey Bitch In Charge

Post by Jennifer »

Stephen Robinson,
It was a rough one yesterday...welcome aboard indeed!
NickFlanagan

Post by NickFlanagan »

Happy birthday Richard. I sympathise with how tough it must have been yesterday, Jennifer. Hopefully you're getting some sunshine--it's grey here in Toronto.
JTF
XXX

Post by JTF »

NickFlanagan,

Richard did vow to cloud the skies over Ontario after his death...