Thanks, Richard

Tell us why you love Richard Pryor so much. Send Richard your love messages.

Moderators: bingolong, Jennifer, tamra

Forum rules
Spam is not allowed. All spammers will be blocked and reported to appropriate agencies.
Rhetticent

Thanks, Richard

Post by Rhetticent »

I'm a middle aged, white-bread dumb ole goober from Oklahoma, who grew up totally unhip and unenlightened. Two people greatly broadened my horizons. The first one was Sam, a brother who was working at the bus station with me one summer: it was a summer job for me because my degree in Philosophy was completely worthless, but for him it was feeding his kids. He had farmed cotton for 22 years, had three bad years and lost everything but his
'56 Chevy. But he was probably the wisest, kindest, coolest man I ever met.

It wasn't until I heard Richard do Mudbone that I really understood Sam. Listening to Richard made me realize that there was a whole new culture that had been hidden from me, out there in the suburbs, and it was inhabited by people with dreams, goals, joy, lust, fear, hate, everything that any other group of people had. One thing I knew for sure, though, was that Richard's world was a lot more honest and truthful than mine was, and he became my hero for that reason. He was also the funniest man I had ever heard.

In the mid-'70s I was working as a paramedic. Richard was our unofficial patron saint (and I apologize for stealing, but I used to play Richard's depiction of a heart attack for students because it was the best I had ever heard or seen). We knew all his routines by heart, and his comedy helped many people deal with stuff from their job: laughter was always the best therapy.

Richard, thanks for more impact on more lives than you can possibly imagine. You know, the Hindus believe that people who develop sufficient karma are entitled to leave the earthly existence and enter Nirvana, but before they do they are given the choice of one more lifetime as anything they want. They are called Bodhisattvas, and most choose to come back as either artists or teachers. Richard came back as both.
Jennifer
White Honkey Bitch In Charge

Re: Thanks, Richard

Post by Jennifer »

Rhetticent,
I seem to be crying a lot lately-that is a wonderful letter and I have the tears to prove it!Thank you -jenny
Rhetticent

Re: Thanks, Richard

Post by Rhetticent »

Jennifer,
It is a small token of my appreciation at best. Thank you so much for providing us with this forum to pass on our feelings to Richard!