PLEASE HELP THE MONKEYS

Information about animal rescue and adoption. Also, discussions and information concerning animal rights.

Moderators: bingolong, Jennifer, tamra

Forum rules
Spam is not allowed. All spammers will be blocked and reported to appropriate agencies.
Jennifer
White Honkey Bitch In Charge

PLEASE HELP THE MONKEYS

Post by Jennifer »

Mindy's Memory News Update 2/3/05 -

It is always very hard to put into a few paragraphs what has been happening at Mindy's Memory. We have had some losses since my last update in November and although they always make us so very sad, we still can find joy in the wonderful life that goes on for our many fortunate monkeys.

On December 23rd, Linda found my friend, Westley dead. When he was rescued in West Los Angeles in August he had been suffering a long time with infected teeth and other health problems due to many years of being malnourished. A necropsy showed that he had an intestinal disease like Crohns disease is in humans. Although he only spent four months at the sanctuary, I was able to witness his joy in being with his friends Holly and baby Cecil and eating the wonderful, fresh fruits and vegetables, and of course his favorite, baked potatoes. I even spent many hours catching him big, juicy grasshoppers, which really put a smile on his little monkey face. Everyone misses our old Grandpa, monkeys and humans alike.

When the weather got down to five degrees, Linda found Maryanne dead in her indoor enclosure. It seems that a freezing rainstorm had shorted out the heaters in their snug indoor home. Her friend Madonna was barely clinging to life but with Linda and Stephanie's quick response, she was brought inside and warmed and was giving Linda hell in no time. Sometimes accidents occur that we have no control over but when and animal is lost we always blame ourselves. When the first cold spell started Linda was getting up at three in the morning to make sure that the monkeys were inside their warm houses. I cannot begin to explain how dedicated Linda is to the welfare of each and every animal at the sanctuary. She is truly a hero!

We also had to euthanize Indigo in January. His body had been ravaged in research and he was without the use of his legs but he had such a wonderful and gentle spirit, that everyone felt very close to him. He had been losing weight rapidly and although his blood work showed nothing abnormal, Linda could tell he was in pain and the vet came out and concurred and he was allowed to shed is his broken body and was now free to be a monkey without cages or useless limbs.

Okay. lets get on to some happier news. The 3rd annual Christmas drive was once again a success. Every monkey got at least one toy. Although I have never been there to witness the Christmas celebration, I can only imagine the screams of delight as each monkey grabs a toy. I am going to bring lots of toys when I visit next time and we will have another Christmas, one that I will be able to enjoy as well as the monkeys.

Yesterday, two very lucky monkeys arrived at Mindy's. Zach, a male rhesus, and Pearl, a female stumptail, had been found living in deplorable conditions in small, filthy cages. They were confiscated in an animal abuse
case on December 7th in Iowa that included over 90 animals. The Animal Rescue League of Iowa drove them to the sanctuary yesterday and spent the night so that they could watch them be released into their new spacious enclosures. They took videos and we will be putting them up on the website soon. Zach was put into the area near our two female rhesus, Katie One and Katie Two, and the girls found him very charming. Pearl was put in Indigo's enclosure for now and will move in with Mikey and Olivia when the weather gets warmer. We will have their pictures and stories on the website as soon as possible. These monkeys could really use some sponsors.

We can only go on with this live saving mission with the help of people like you. Please make a donation, even one dollar can help. Thanks,

Shelly Ladd
shellymonkey

Re: PLEASE HELP THE MONKEYS

Post by shellymonkey »

Jennifer,
Thanks for posting this. In case someone doesn't know the website is www.mindysmem.org. If there is anyone in the Oklahoma City area, we could really use some volunteers. We have 58 monkeys and only one full time and one part time caregiver. Oh yeah and money....money is always good! Thanks again,
juliatat

Re: PLEASE HELP THE MONKEYS

Post by juliatat »

shellymonkey,
Hi Sweetie, I am so sorry to hear of the losses. I will begin circulating this information for you...Julia