must see 12 Years a Slave!

Richard loved going to the movies...
So do we. Who doesn't like music?

Moderators: bingolong, Jennifer, tamra

Forum rules
Spam is not allowed. All spammers will be blocked and reported to appropriate agencies.
Jennifer
White Honkey Bitch In Charge

must see 12 Years a Slave!

Post by Jennifer »

I was devastated by this movie: the truth of it, the searing horror that was slavery..the fact that this story is one of millions but is true, documented in Solomon Northup's brilliant memoir.
http://www.saratogaspringsvisitorcenter ... orthup-day

This has shaken me up but good and we all need to be reminded with an 'in your face' movie like this!

SEE IT AND KNOW THAT THE TEA PARTY IS SIMPLY A NEO-CONFEDERATE PARTY! :rage:
tamra
Pryor's Planet Volunteer Extraordinaire

Re: must see 12 Years a Slave!

Post by tamra »

yes, a definite must see! I still can't get beyond how he survived what he did but Northup was a very smart man, and determined to live :clap:

and if Chiwetel Ejiofor, doesn't win an Oscar, something is seriously wrong! http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0252230/
---
huh? what? who? damn, I'm always the last to know.
Dave

Post by Dave »

The truly amazing thing is that the main actors and the director are all British. One wonders if Americans are ready yet to make such a brutally honest film.
Last edited by Aimz on Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Keep some sunshine on your face.
bingolong
King of the Smilies

Post by bingolong »

can't wait to see it later this week (no spoilers)!!!!
I went to Zimbabwe. I know how white people feel in America now; relaxed! Cause when I heard the police car I knew they weren't coming after me! 
bingolong
King of the Smilies

Post by bingolong »

YES a day later and I am still reeling about this movie....OSCARS all around for this flick!! Love Patsey ...and this was her first movie!
I went to Zimbabwe. I know how white people feel in America now; relaxed! Cause when I heard the police car I knew they weren't coming after me! 
Jennifer
White Honkey Bitch In Charge

Post by Jennifer »

a couple of weeks later, and I am still devastated by it; I ordered several books, 12 Years a Slave, have given a few away as gifts...truly remarkable film, made all that more remarkable that it was true account. What further devastates is no one knows what happened to him after he returned home...the thought he was re-kidnapped, chills me to the marrow...
tamra
Pryor's Planet Volunteer Extraordinaire

Post by tamra »

or what happened to Patsey. can't stop thinking about the end of her life. I keep thinking she was sold off by the wife who hated her. either way, that is a story that will never be told, along w/millions like her :( unbelievable that the $$ from slave trade was passed along to next generation and so on, and yet nothing can be done about it given horrors associated w/slavery
---
huh? what? who? damn, I'm always the last to know.