wow, wow, wow - Led Zeppelin to reunite for a Ahmet tribute

Richard loved going to the movies...
So do we. Who doesn't like music?

Moderators: bingolong, Jennifer, tamra

Forum rules
Spam is not allowed. All spammers will be blocked and reported to appropriate agencies.
Appaloosa

Re: wow, wow, wow - Led Zeppelin to reunite for a Ahmet tribute

Post by Appaloosa »

bcddjjsc690,
hey ive heard young guys put down Led Zeppelin but they just dont know how instrumental the band was .....Whole Lotta Love was made when there was practically nothing .....they paved the way for Ozzie an Deep Purple.....tney made the street so they could play on.....an then they made the street so people that the young ones think so highly of could go on....the nameless ones....to play the guitar licks they did plus the wailing of Plant....Stairway to Heaven was just a filler for an album to be finished as you probably know.....yet it became thier largest seller on 45 an to date on any album...thier history is long an storied ....i would put them at the top of the heap.....it might be arguable...but hell thats what its all about
tamra
Pryor's Planet Volunteer Extraordinaire

Post by tamra »

Appaloosa,

well, I'm not sure if I should be sick or pissed at the fact that I couldn't be at the event of a lifetime. but just happy looking at the footage of the show.

http://m.cnn.com/cnn/ne/ent/detail/4753 ... 6E88E7FD9D - cnn.com'

video w/Jason Bonham & he is rocking the ghost of his dad!
CNN || Stairway to reunion heaven
http://m.cnn.com/cnn/detail/47539 - cnn.com - videos'

in my best Sam Kinison voice - TOUR, MOTHERFUCKERS, TOURRRRRRR, ARRRRRGGGGGGHHHHH!!!!!

[font color=Blue]Led Zeppelin brings down the house
After that performance, Led Zeppelin really must go on tour.

The reunited rock 'n' roll legends were superb Monday in their first full concert in nearly three decades, mixing in classics like "Stairway to Heaven" and "Black Dog" with the thumping "Kashmir" and the hard-rocking "Dazed and Confused."

The band's three surviving members -- singer Robert Plant, guitarist Jimmy Page and bassist-keyboardist John Paul Jones -- were joined by the late John Bonham's son Jason on drums.

And it was the newest member of the band that was given the honor of kicking off the sold-out benefit show, pounding out the beat before the others joined in on a near-perfect "Good Times Bad Times."

After the lights went down at the O2 Arena, newsreel footage of the band arriving in Tampa, Florida, for a 1973 performance was projected onstage. Then Bonham jumped in, soon to be joined by the rest.

They followed that with "Ramble On," and with it destroyed all rumors that the 59-year-old Plant could no longer reproduce his trademark wail. Watch the group's scorching performance

With his button-down shirt mercifully buttoned up, Plant roamed the stage belting out hit after hit, rarely giving his critics anything to work with.

But Page showed he still has the touch as well. Besides ripping out his patented riffs all night, he put the spotlight on himself when the band played the bluesy "In My Time of Dying."

With his left hand moving freely up and down the neck of his guitar and the metal slide wrapped around one of his fingers, Page effortlessly played a song that's not easy to master.

Page and Plant later combined to open "Nobody's Fault But Mine," a song that starts with another classic Page riff and then gets help from Plant mimicking the same sounds.

Still, it was Bonham who may have been the star of the show. At 41, he is older than his father was -- 32 -- when he choked to death on his own vomit in 1980.

Bonham's flawless performance and driving beat even made the other members of the band watch in awe at the end of "Black Dog."

After "The Song Remains the Same," Plant screamed: "Jason Bonham, drums! Come on!"

The 16-song set list produced few surprises. They did many of the songs expected, such as "No Quarter" and "Trampled Under Foot," and the entire show lasted a bit more than two hours, mainly because of encores "Whole Lotta Love" and "Rock and Roll."

The band also played "For Your Life" live for the first time.

"It's quite peculiar to imagine ... to think about creating a dynamic evening choosing from 10 different albums. There are certain songs that have to be there, and this is one of them," Plant said in introducing "Dazed and Confused."

When Page's solo started midway through the song, many in the audience were wondering whether the guitar virtuoso would resort to his old tricks.

But after only a few seconds, the 63-year-old Page turned his back to the crowd and walked nonchalantly toward his amp. Once there, he pulled a cello bow off the top, and the fans again went wild.

They followed that with "Stairway to Heaven," the band's staple song, which many hardcore fans were hoping would be dropped from the set.

But the crowd still loved it, with many standing to dance as Page played on his double-necked guitar.

Reviewers were ecstatic.

"With a synergy like this going on, it would be an act of cosmic perversity to stop now," Pete Paphides of The Times of London wrote.

"They sound awesomely tight," Alexis Petridis wrote in Tuesday's The Guardian. David Cheal of The Daily Telegraph said the band's "familiar old sinew and swagger were still there."

Fans are hoping to get to hear them do it again, and soon.

Though this show is supposed to be one-time event, there have been rumors that if all went well, it would kick off a world tour.

Plant seemed to play down those rumors, saying he plans to tour with bluegrass star Alison Krauss, but Monday's performance will only add to the fervor of the fans to see them play more gigs.

The show was Led Zeppelin's first full set since 1980. Robbed of "Bonzo's" pulsing drums, the band decided it couldn't go on and split up on December 4, 1980.

Tickets for the show, a benefit for the late Atlantic Records founder Ahmet Ertegun, were won in an Internet lottery. Proceeds are to go to the Ahmet Ertegun Education Fund, which provides scholarships to universities in the United States, Britain and Turkey.

"Hey Ahmet, we did it!" Plant screamed after "Stairway."

Monday's concert wasn't the first Led Zeppelin reunion. The band played together in 1985 at Live Aid, and joined forces again three years later -- with Jason Bonham on drums -- to play at the 40th anniversary concert for Atlantic Records.

At their Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony in 1995, they teamed up with other musicians for another short set.

The show was originally scheduled for November 26, but was postponed until Monday because Page injured the little finger on his left hand.

There were several opening acts rotating across the stage, mainly hosted by former Rolling Stones bassist Bill Wyman.[/font]

and fans wanted Stairway To Heaven dropped from the set?? what fans?? crackhead fans?? shit, best jam w/a good ass joint is Stairway To Heaven from the 8-track :lol: so imagine live w/Jason Bonham rocking like his dad. :) the drum set on Stairway To Heaven, esp. the ending - oh man, no words. Rush's drummer is second to Bonham.
---
huh? what? who? damn, I'm always the last to know.
SJD

Post by SJD »

tamra and all,

"...it's like having all The Beatles alive again, then Hendrix, Jim Morrison/The Doors, Creedance Clear Water, Jefferson Airplane, Janis Joplin, Otis Redding and The Rolling Stones pop over to their house for dinner and all they can think of doing is playing scramble..."
hmmmmmm?...... I'd say more like if a F5 F-trillion times F-kabazillionty kajillion tornado were to come down and totaly destroy a single house in the next town, leaving a crater and hole in the earth that blasts through clear out the other side of the earth, instead of it going throughout and destroying the town.

They did show the concert LIVE on the VH1 Classics channel but my satelite didn't have the channel loaded and I'm still pissed.

And I am as hard a core Led Zeppelin fan as anyone but without ever going to a concert, being that I'm too young to ever do that. But to drop Stairway to Heaven.........[Font size=3 face=i color=black]WHAT KIND OF DUMBASS, RETARDED ASS, IGNORANT BASTARD WOULD WANT TO DO THAT TYPE OF BULLSHIT!?!?!!!?[/font] 8-O
Especiallly if this was the only ever performance that is going to happen, you wouldn't want to leave something like that out.

I'm a young guy and had to hear all the bullshit by others of my peers, try and tell me Led Zeppelin isn't metal or nothing.... FUCK EM'Zeppelin and Sabbath are Heavy Metal and there shouldn't be any questioning of that. About five years after Zeppelin and Sabbath came to be, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Def Lepppard, and so on, were the New Wave British Heavy Metal that fallowed.
Now most of my peers and whoever out there in this vain question their "metal" too...FUCK EM' their kids will be saying the same shit when they're "metal" is questioned or viewed as easy listening... and again I say FUCK EM' too.
Heavy Metal isn't suppose to be categorize as all satan and devil! devil! devil! It's a part of that but not all. Maybe now it's pigeon holed into just that, but HELL that the same thing that was said about Blues and Rock and Roll.

Led Zeppelin will be remebered for all the songs they played while most today are hardly remebered for one.

Bonham is the top but don't forget Keith Moon, I'd they are equals at the top with each of their own stylings. Neil Pert of course.
PEACE OUT!!!
..............here's some more goodness for you! And PLEASE folks Dicover! Discover! Discover!

[Font size=6 face=g color=red ]Led Zeppelin FOREVER!!![/font]

[Font size=4 face=a color=navy ] [/font]Led Zeppelin news and concert update

[Font size=4 face=g color=navy ]Dazed and Confused : evil sounding[/font]

[Font size=4 face=g color=navy ]Communication Breakdown : look at how the music gets into the people, head banging before head banging was a term. They get very heavy and thunderous and then just groove [/font]

[Font size=4 face=g color=navy ]Trampled Underfoot : love that piano intro[/font]

[Font size=4 face=g color=navy ]Trampled Underfoot : hey a nice funny little music video to the song[/font]

[Font size=4 face=g color=navy ]Black Dog[/font]

[Font size=4 face=g color=navy ]Whole Lotta Love[/font]

[Font size=4 face=g color=navy ]Tangerine : another beautiful song[/font]

[hr] This quote comes from a self description of one of the greatest wrestlers there is,[BR] Bret " The Hitman " Hart, and it very well is what Mr. Richard Pryor is to stand-up...

" The Best There Is...
The Best There Was...
and The Best There Ever Will Be!"
tamra

Post by tamra »

SJD,

8-o wow never thought about music w/out Zeppelin, so the kids who don't recognize Led Zeppelin, well I don't even know what to say to them, it's like they don't exist to me :lol: definitely a time when kids should be seen and not heard. :lol:

but funny you mentioned Def Leppard, Maiden and those other bands. I used to listen to them regularly on radio and video shows, but other than Black Sabbath, now can't even remember any of their songs. if they, other than Sabbath, were to have a reunion tour, say in my neighbor's backyard, I'd be a cop calling mutha as soon as the first note is hit. but if my neighbor is hosting a Zeppelin reunion, I'm mowing their lawn, moving furniture, washing their dishes and even cleaning their toilets while being the politest Beaver Cleaver to get in on that show. :lol:

to me, rock bands that have come after Zeppelin broke up just haven't been that memorable. only semi-rock I play regularly are Pearl Jam, Nirvana and Marilyn Manson. the older stuff like Boston, Journey (before they went commerical/pop w/Escape & Frontiers), Nugent, Aerosmith, Styx, Sabbath, Doobie Brothers, Santana...still rocks on today, and still sounds better. :)
---
EddieHill

Post by EddieHill »

tamra, Now people can download the audience recording of the whole show at the www.thetradersden.org and www.dimeadozen.org and www.tapecity.org and it is only a matter of time before a collector posts a dvd of the show for download. It is a great show and they play all the songs in a lower tone to match Robert Plants deeper voice. I do think based on the reports I heard and read that there will be a Led Zeppelin tour. Now, The Song Remains The Same Collectors Edition DVD sucks because they put on the whole show by adding the unrealesed tracks on the bonus section of the dvd instead of it being one full show with the songs being played in order of the setlist... The cd release is just a live compulation of all 3 nights of MSG 1973. I own the original and all the Eddie Edwards Garden Tapes on cd. They can have their Mothership. Led Zeppelin fans want new music. Hope all is well , have fun.
hellifiknow

Post by hellifiknow »

tamra,
(In Benders voice from Futurama)...I got a Beaver Cleaver for ya baby! ;p :lol:

well I guess now I can quit checking my email to see if I have been drawn for tickets to the show...I'm with you all and hope they tour soon.

"boy, go get me something to beat your ass with" RP
hellifiknow

Post by hellifiknow »

bcddjjsc690,
I can only imagine how cool it was to see those concerts you went to. B-)

"boy, go get me something to beat your ass with" RP
bcddjjsc690

Post by bcddjjsc690 »

hellifiknow,
Music was always a big part of my home life , my father loved the big band era , he knew the Mills Brothers , I still remember when I was about 9 years old he took my mom to see Count Basie & his Orch.,I grew up on
R & B , Soul , James Brown, and all the Motown Greats.
. But all that was pushed aside when I heard Whole Lotta Love on a.m. radio ,WABC in NY used to do a countdown with the top ten songs of the week , and when they got to number one , they would play a bit " Instant Reply " ,and play the number one song again ! .
That's my first memory of hearing Led Zeppelin ,
In 1979 when they announced the tour dates for the 1st leg of their new US tour , 3 friends and I immediatly began the planning to go to one of the shows , kinda of like the movie " Detroit Rock City" .After we got the $$ and plan together ,John Bonham died , man were we sad that night.
. So in 1988 while watching their 2nd reapperance,at the Atlantic Record Co's , birthday party {the first being Live Aid } my friends brother shows up and says he has a extra ticket to see Robert Plant ,tommorrow night ,
I didn't even know Stevie Ray Vaughn was the opening act ,'till he walked out and started with "Willie the Wimp ".
. Plant played Misty Mountain Hop , Trampled Underfoot , Black Country Woman,Four Sticks and ,In the Evening . So right then I thought I had died and gone to heaven ,because it was the first tour Plant did any Zeppelin songs in his solo tours.

In 1995 my good buddy Kevin and a bunch of guys caught the first leg of the Page & Plant Unledded Tour at the Meadowlands In NJ, Later that same year they came back around for the 2nd leg of the tour, and Kevin again scored about a dozen tickets for the last US show at MSG ,NY . on Oct 31st.
. Well before that concert our local radio station had some call in contests to see Page & Plant in Hartford. Kevin called in and won two tickets.The Hartford show was on Saturday Oct 26th , and since he had already seen them in NJ,and was going to the NY on the 31st , he sold me those 2 tickets he had won on the radio.I remember asking him how much he wanted. He said 50 bucks , I had assumed he wanted 50 bucks a piece,{which I was more than willing to pay} He wanted 50$ for the pair!.So I took my girl to the show ,we had a blast!!They performed with the Hartford Symphony Orch.
. I worked with Kevin and all week long I just bowed to him every time I saw him for hooking me up with the tickets, well on friday , he calls in to work about 3pm ,his date is stuck in Washington DC and won;t be back in time to go to the show.So now he has an extra ticket for the NY show,he asked me if I wanted to go, and you know what that answer was, we filled two stretch limos and had the time of our lives, they performed with the Manhatten Symphony Orch .
And started both shows that I saw , with the Wonton Song.
I have the set list around here somewhere, I still get chills just thinking about it.man it doesn't fell like it was 12 years ago .

All my adult live I've thought they were the best that ever was, or will be , I'm glad they are getting the recognition by the mainstream that they deserve, the Beatles have always been considered number one ,but this week I think the Mighty Led Zeppelin has taken their rightful place on top .

[img]http://forums.richardpryor.com/forums/a ... cklz02.jpg[/img]
[img]https://richardpryor.com/forums/images/ ... cklz02.jpg[/img]
"you must be out-cho god-dammed mind "
tamra

Post by tamra »

hellifiknow,

:lol: :lol:

bcddjjsc690,

wow! u had tix to the last tour?? bowing down like Wayne & Garth - we're not worthy, we're not worthy. :lol: I could only plot and scheme to stay out late enough to attend the concert which never happened.

I say we kidnap Jones, Page, Plant and Bonham - eeeeerrriiieeee saying Bonham again, but awesome at the same time, but I say we kidnap the muthas and make them do a U.S. tour asaFp. :lol: or one of them has to have a cat, dog or goldfish, let's kidnap it and promise to return it safe and sound when the tour is over.

I think that Jason Bonham rocking the house was a sign that one of the greatest bands ever has been given another chance. not to mention they should have realized w/folks paying $168,000.00 (yes one hundred sixty-eight thousand 8-o) for a ticket (which they prolly couldn't use because of policy :lol:), that people are STILL die hard fans. just name a place and we'll be there!
---
tamra

Post by tamra »

8-o OMG OMG clutching the chest. and I hope this isn't a rumor:

Led Zeppelin to return to stage

was the news alert received. ticket outlets are already making announcements that as soon as the tour dates are announced the tickets will go on sale.

UNFUCKINGREAL!!!! I cannot wait. I missed them as a kid, but won't miss this opp. now is the time to learn how to cheat, steal, and lie like a republican or Trent Lott, or kick a nun out a window, etc. etc. to get to that show! ;p
---