Peter Boyle at 71 passes on.....

Richard loved going to the movies...
So do we. Who doesn't like music?

Moderators: bingolong, Jennifer, tamra

Forum rules
Spam is not allowed. All spammers will be blocked and reported to appropriate agencies.
SJD

Peter Boyle at 71 passes on.....

Post by SJD »

http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/TV/12/1 ... topstories - Info on Peter'

He was, is a funny actor. He was, is a great actor.b.b
[hr] This quote comes from a self description of one of the greatest wrestlers there is,[BR] Bret " The Hitman " Hart, and it very well is what Mr. Richard Pryor is to stand-up...

" The Best There Is...
The Best There Was...
and The Best There Ever Will Be!"
tamra
Pryor's Planet Volunteer Extraordinaire

Re: Peter Boyle passes on

Post by tamra »

SJD,

what I remember most about him was the diversity of his roles, and how each character stood out so much you could never forget him. hard to say that about many actors currently on the big screen now. b.b
---
huh? what? who? damn, I'm always the last to know.
SJD

Re: Peter Boyle passes on.....

Post by SJD »

If the link up there ain't doing anything here's better info with something more...

[img]http://www.movie-gazette.com/directory/ ... +boyle.jpg[/img]
[img]http://blogs.chron.com/blog9/images/boyleyf.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.thelin.net/laurent/cinema/ph ... _boyle.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.wvah.com/programs/raymond/peterboyle.jpg[/img]

[img]http://encyclopedia.quickseek.com/images/Peterboyle.jpg[/img]

[Font size=4 face=t color=Black]1935 - 2006[/font]

one Article on Peter

NEW YORK (AP) -- Peter Boyle, who played the tap-dancing monster in "Young Frankenstein" and the curmudgeonly father in the long-running sitcom "Everybody Loves Raymond," has died. He was 71.

Boyle died Tuesday evening at New York Presbyterian Hospital. He had been suffering from multiple myeloma and heart disease, said his publicist, Jennifer Plante.

A member of the Christian Brothers religious order who turned to acting, the tall, prematurely balding Boyle gained notice playing an angry workingman in the 1970 sleeper hit "Joe," playing an angry, murderous bigot at odds with the emerging hippie youth culture.

Peter Boyle had one regret "Right after I made 'Joe' in 1970, I was approached to play the part of the detective Popeye Doyle in 'The French Connection,' " he recently told Webster Hall's Baird Jones. "My agent was adamant that it was the wrong part for me, and I couldn't believe it because I thought it sounded perfect . . . But I let him overrule me . . That movie was a huge hit, and Gene Hackman even won a Best Actor Oscar . . . It was the stupidest advice I ever got. This all happened more than 30 years ago, and I still don't like to talk about it."

Briefly typecast in tough, irate roles, Boyle began to escape the image as Robert Redford's campaign manager in "The Candidate" and left it behind entirely after "Young Frankenstein," Mel Brooks' 1974 send-up of horror films. (Blog: An appreciation)

The latter movie's defining moment came when Gene Wilder, as scientist Frederick Frankenstein, introduced his creation to an upscale audience. Boyle, decked out in tails, performed a song-and-dance routine to the Irving Berlin classic "Puttin' On the Ritz."

Brooks was saddened by the news of Boyle's death.

"I will always cherish Peter Boyle's remarkable performance as the monster in 'Young Frankenstein,' " Brooks said, according to Reuters.

The "Young Frankenstein" performance showed another side of the Emmy-winning actor, one that would be exploited in countless other films and perhaps best in "Everybody Loves Raymond," in which he played incorrigible paterfamilias Frank Barone for 10 years. (Watch Peter Boyle on the red carpet .)

"He's just obnoxious in a nice way, just for laughs," he said of the character in a 2001 interview. "It's a very sweet experience having this happen at a time when you basically go back over your life and see every mistake you ever made."

When Boyle tried out for the role opposite series star Ray Romano's Ray Barone, however, he was kept waiting for his audition -- and he was not happy.

"He came in all hot and angry," recalled the show's creator, Phil Rosenthal, "and I hired him because I was afraid of him."

But Rosenthal also noted: "I knew right away that he had a comic presence."

[img]http://hosted.ap.org/photos/N/NYET15712131740-big.jpg[/img]

The show's star, Ray Romano, paid tribute in a statement.

"I am deeply saddened by the passing of Peter Boyle. When I came out to L.A. to do 'Everybody Loves Raymond,' I knew no one. Peter immediately took me under his wing and became my friend and mentor. He gave me great advice, he always made me laugh, and the way he connected with everyone around him amazed me," Romano's statement said.

"The fact that he could play a convincing curmudgeon on the show, but in reality be such a compassionate and thoughtful person, is a true testament to his talent. ... I feel very lucky to have known and shared great experiences with Peter, and I will miss him forever."

Impact of 'Joe'
Boyle first came to the public's attention more than a quarter century before. "Joe" was a sleeper hit in which he portrayed the title role, an angry, murderous bigot at odds with the era's emerging hippie youth culture.

Although critically acclaimed, he faced being categorized as someone who played tough, angry types. He broke free of that to some degree as Robert Redford's campaign manager in "The Candidate," and shed it entirely in "Young Frankenstein."

The latter film also led to the actor meeting his wife, Loraine Alterman, who visited the set as a reporter for Rolling Stone magazine. Boyle, still in his monster makeup, quickly asked her for a date.

He went on to appear in dozens of films and to star in "Joe Bash," an acclaimed but short-lived 1986 "dramedy" in which he played a lonely beat cop. He won an Emmy in 1996 for his guest-starring role in an episode of "The X Files," and he was nominated for "Everybody Loves Raymond" and for the 1977 TV film "Tail Gunner Joe," in which he played Sen. Joseph McCarthy.

In the 1976 film "Taxi Driver," he was the cabbie-philosopher Wizard, who counseled Robert De Niro's violent Travis Bickle.

Other notable films included "T.R. Baskin," "F.I.S.T.," "Johnny Dangerously," "Conspiracy: Trial of the Chicago 8" (as activist David Dellinger), "The Dream Team," "The Santa Clause," "The Santa Clause 2," "While You Were Sleeping" (in a charming turn as Sandra Bullock's future father-in-law) and "Scooby Doo 2: Monsters Unleashed."

'The normal pull of the world'
The son of a local TV personality in Philadelphia, Boyle was educated in Roman Catholic schools and spent three years in a monastery before abandoning his religious studies. He later described the experience as similar to "living in the Middle Ages."

He explained his decision to leave in 1991: "I felt the call for awhile; then I felt the normal pull of the world and the flesh."

He traveled to New York to study with Uta Hagen, supporting himself for five years with various jobs, including postal worker, waiter, maitre d' and office temp. Finally, he was cast in a road company version of "The Odd Couple." When the play reached Chicago he quit to study with that city's famed improvisational troupe Second City.

Upon returning to New York, he began to land roles in TV commercials, off-Broadway plays and finally films.

Through Alterman, a friend of Yoko Ono, the actor became close friends with John Lennon.

"We were both seekers after a truth, looking for a quick way to enlightenment," Boyle once said of Lennon, who was best man at his wedding.

In 1990, Boyle suffered a stroke and couldn't talk for six months. In 1999, he had a heart attack on the set of "Everybody Loves Raymond." He soon regained his health, however, and returned to the series. (Read story)

Despite his work in "Everybody Loves Raymond" and other Hollywood productions, Boyle made New York City his home. He and his wife had two daughters, Lucy and Amy.

[Font size=4 face=t color=Black]Another article with more on Peter[/font]

Peter Boyle, who left the life of a monk to study acting and went on to become one of the most successful character actors of his time in films like “The Candidate,” “Young Frankenstein” and “Monster’s Ball,” then capped his career with a long stint as the meddlesome father on the hit sitcom “Everybody Loves Raymond,” died Tuesday evening in Manhattan. He was 71.

His death, at New York Presbyterian Hospital, was announced by his publicist, Jennifer Plante. She said Mr. Boyle had suffered from multiple myeloma and heart disease. With his bulky frame and balding pate, Mr. Boyle was a formidable presence on screen, whether playing a drunken redneck (“Joe”), a corrupt union leader (“F.I.S.T.”) or a savvy private eye (“Hammett”). He could be convincingly chilling, so much so that he often ran the risk of being typecast. When he appeared with Peter Falk and Paul Sorvino in William Friedkin’s 1978 film “The Brink’s Job,” as a member of the gang that robs an armored car company of nearly $3 million, the New York Times critic Vincent Canby wrote that “Mr. Boyle’s role is one that he could telephone in by this time.”

But it wasn’t all thugs and gangsters. In 1974, Mr. Boyle made a memorable impression in Mel Brooks’s “Young Frankenstein,” in which he played the bumbling monster brought to life by the addled grandson (Gene Wilder) of the original Dr. Frankenstein. In one high point, Mr. Boyle’s monster, decked out in white tie and tails à la Fred Astaire, performed a nifty soft-shoe routine with Mr. Wilder while bellowing out the lyrics of “Puttin’ On the Ritz.”

Mr. Boyle, who once admitted to being “a little nutty,” enjoyed his infrequent ventures into film comedy. In “Where the Buffalo Roam” (1980), a screen portrait of the freewheeling writer Hunter S. Thompson (Bill Murray), he went happily wild as the writer’s carousing companion. Along with members of the Monty Python troupe, he was part of a zany pirate crew in “Yellowbeard” (1983). And in “The Dream Team” (1989), he tried to wring laughs from his role as a mental patient with a fixation on Jesus.

His breakthrough, however, was no laughing matter. He won the title role in the 1970 film “Joe,” about a hard-drinking, hate-filled factory worker who improbably joins forces with a murderous executive in a bloody war on “hippies” and the rest of the counterculture. Mr. Boyle said that he was paid only $3,000 for his work in “Joe” but that he realized he had taken a giant step forward. The role, he said at the time, seemed to have been made for him because he’d grown up surrounded by people like Joe.

“I knew the character so well that when it came to the actual shooting of the movie, I was worried that I would do a caricature,” “ he said. Writing in The Times, Mr. Canby called “Joe” one of the 10 worst films of the year but hailed Mr. Boyle’s performance as “extraordinary.”

Peter Boyle was born on Oct. 18, 1935, in Northtown, Pa. After graduating from La Salle College, he became a member of the Christian Brothers order and entered a monastery as Brother Francis. He later recalled praying “so hard, I had calluses on my knees.” After three effortful years, he left the monastery — he later called it “an unnatural way to live” — and, after a brief period in the Navy that ended in a nervous breakdown, came to New York City to try the life of an actor.

There, he studied with Uta Hagen, worked at whatever jobs he could find, toured with a road company of Neil Simon’s “Odd Couple” and wound up in Chicago, where he joined the Second City troupe and immersed himself in improvisational theater. He was living in Chicago at the time of the Democratic National Convention in 1968 and never forgot the ensuing explosion of violence and the reek of tear gas in the streets. Early on, he described himself as a “conservative radical.”

Politics was an element in some of his work in the years ahead, although more often on television than in film. An exception was “The Candidate” (1972), the film in which he played a cool-headed campaign manager for a liberal Democrat (Robert Redford) running for the Senate. In the 1977 NBC movie “Tail Gunner Joe,” he portrayed Senator Joseph R. McCarthy, with Burgess Meredith as the Boston lawyer Joseph Welch in the notorious Army-McCarthy hearings.

Mr. Boyle relived his 1968 experience in Chicago on HBO’s “Conspiracy: The Trial of the Chicago Eight” (1987), appearing as one of the jailed political protesters, David Dellinger. And in the 1989 CBS docudrama “Guts and Glory: The Rise and Fall of Oliver North,” he played Vice Admiral John M. Poindexter, a national security adviser.

Despite his early theatrical training, Mr. Boyle clearly preferred film and television over stage work. He was seen on Broadway in 1980 in “The Roast,” directed by Carl Reiner, in which he played a comedian who is the guest of honor, with lots to hide, at a no-holds-barred “roast,” or stag dinner, given by his fellow comics. Off Broadway later that year, he co-starred with Tommy Lee Jones in a Public Theater production of Sam Shepard’s “True West,” about the warring relationship of two brothers. He also appeared at the Circle Repertory in 1982 in the ill-conceived “Snow Orchid,” a play by Joe Pintauro in which he played the mentally unstable head of a dysfunctional family in the Williamsburg section of Brooklyn.

In his private life, Mr. Boyle was a functional and devoted family man. He had met Loraine Alterman, his wife-to-be, when he was filming “Young Frankenstein” and she was interviewing Mel Brooks for Rolling Stone magazine. They were married in 1977, with John Lennon as best man at their wedding. She survives him, along with their daughters Lucy and Amy.

Mr. Boyle’s film credits in the late ‘80s and early ‘90s included “Walker” (1987), in which Ed Harris played the American adventurer William Walker, who briefly seized control of Nicaragua in the mid-19th century; Mr. Boyle played his supporter Commodore Cornelius Vanderbilt. In “Bulletproof Heart” (1995), Mr. Boyle was cast as a professional hitman. In “Monster’s Ball” (2001), he gave an acclaimed performance as the bigoted father of a prison death-house guard (Billy Bob Thornton).

Mr. Boyle was also becoming a familiar face on television, appearing in several episodes of ABC’s “NYPD Blue” and winning an Emmy Award in 1996 for a guest appearance on the long-running Fox series “The X-Files.” That was also the year Mr. Boyle became a member of the Barone family on the durable CBS sitcom “Everybody Loves Raymond.”

The series starred the comedian Ray Romano as Ray Barone, a sportswriter whose parents (played by Mr. Boyle and Doris Roberts) are all too willing to complicate daily life in Ray’s suburban household. As the grouchy, wisecracking Frank Barone, Mr. Boyle could be counted on to win laughs, as he did for nine seasons. The role brought him five Emmy nominations.

Mr. Boyle suffered a stroke in 1990 and had a heart attack while taping an episode of “Raymond” in 1999, but he quickly recovered and continued his career, pursuing what he called his challenge on “Raymond” — “finding where the funny is.”

..............Peace Out Peter b.b ... B-)
[hr] This quote comes from a self description of one of the greatest wrestlers there is,[BR] Bret " The Hitman " Hart, and it very well is what Mr. Richard Pryor is to stand-up...

" The Best There Is...
The Best There Was...
Murphdogg
Foot Kisser

Post by Murphdogg »

SJD, He was by far the funniest person on Raymond. Your right Richard was the best there is, was or ever will be..But Brett hart wasn't, I mean come on now, we all know that was Ric "woooooooooooo" Flair. Even old and saggy he get's it done in the ring.
Shane God Damned Murphy

shanescomedy.com
SJD

Post by SJD »

Murphdogg,

Yeah I was wondering when someone was going to call out on "the Hitman" and fuck yeah the original "Slick Rick", the dirtiest player in the game WOOOOO!!, a kiss-stealing, wheeling, dealing, jet-flying, limousine-riding, styling and profiling, son-of-a-gun, asking all the ladies if they want to ride SPACE MOUTIAN, Ric "the Nature Boy" WOOOOOO!!! Flair whoops ass even now at a time he shouldn't be fucking fighting the way he is; hardcore extreme matches, cage matches, getting beaten by tables, latters, and chairs..... Oh My. Gettin beat on by sledge hammers, baseball bats with barb wire wrapped around it, being thrown on thumbtacks, and fighting that loveable pyscho Mick "Cactus Jack, Mankind, Dude Love" Foley. As he says to "Mean" Gene Okerland," MEAN MY GOD!!! WOOOOOOOOO!!! GENE!!!," To be the man! WOOOO!...You have to bet the man!"
Got give it to "the Hitman" too. He got cut down by a stroke and career ending injury in the ring. He still could have been going on like "NAtch". I have so many favorite wrestlers, I can't rally rank them all or one over the other, but I'll leave that alone for now.

Peter Boyle is the funniest on that show, and Doris Roberts, and Brad Garret.

" The Best There Is...
The Best There Was...
SPIKEWEB

Post by SPIKEWEB »

I liked him on Everybody Love Raymond; but the role that I still remember him in was the racist father in Monster's Ball. It was almost humorous.