dang, Death Row may be up for auction soon, including song rights

Richard loved going to the movies...
So do we. Who doesn't like music?

Moderators: bingolong, Jennifer, tamra

Forum rules
Spam is not allowed. All spammers will be blocked and reported to appropriate agencies.
tamra
Pryor's Planet Volunteer Extraordinaire

dang, Death Row may be up for auction soon, including song rights

Post by tamra »

wow...perhaps we should all get together and scrape up a lil change to buy just 1 of Tupac's songs which will still be worth something years from now ;p

[Font size=2 face=v color=Green]Suge Knight could lose Death Row
Rights to Tupac, Snoop Dogg, Dr. Dre albums might be auctioned

Saturday, April 1, 2006; Posted: 9:00 p.m. EST (02:00 GMT)

LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- Rap-music mogul Marion "Suge" Knight skipped a court-ordered appearance at a hearing about his assets, setting the stage for courts to take control of his Death Row Records label.

Knight has missed several hearings in a legal battle since he lost a $107 million judgment last year to Lydia Harris, a former associate who claimed she helped start the rap record empire with her former husband, Michael Harris.

Michael Harris, an imprisoned drug dealer, says he put up $1.5 million to help start the record label -- an assertion Knight has repeatedly denied.

A judge last month ordered the record company into receivership, which hinged on Knight's appearance at Saturday's hearing.

A court-appointed "receiver" would take control of all assets of Death Row Records, including a music library containing the records of such artists as Tupac Shakur, Snoop Dog and Dr. Dre, said Steve Goldberg, attorney for Michael Harris.

Lawyers for the Harrises said they would ask that Knight be held in contempt and jailed until he participates in the hearing to disclose his assets.

"He's had his last chance as far as we're concerned," Goldberg said.

A hearing was set for Tuesday to finalize the receivership and address the contempt request.

"We are going to ask the receiver to take ownership of the music library and auction it off," Goldberg said.

He predicted this could be "a death sentence for Death Row Records."

Knight's attorney, Dermot Givens, would say only, "We try our cases in the court and not in the press." Givens also did not appear at the hearing.

Givens had said Friday that he told opposing lawyers Knight would not appear Saturday. He gave no reason.

Last December, a judge froze Knight's assets, saying he and his lawyers had failed to answer questions and provide information in the case.[/font]

http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/Music/0 ... index.html - cnn.com'
---
huh? what? who? damn, I'm always the last to know.
bingolong
King of the Smilies

Re: dang, Death Row may be up for auction soon, including song rights

Post by bingolong »

tamra,
I read about this earlier...Dre better jump on this deal!! :lol: :lol:
I went to Zimbabwe. I know how white people feel in America now; relaxed! Cause when I heard the police car I knew they weren't coming after me! 
tamra

Post by tamra »

bingolong,

yanno, Dre or Snoop better jump on it, before it becomes another Michael Jackson/Paul McCartney situation. watch Clay Aiken buys rights to the all songs. :lol: The real Chronic will become an actual necessity while trying to deal w/that move! :lol:

but what would be nice is if Tupac's mother could buy her son's song rights so she can properly carry on her son's legacy.
---
Mister Gee

Post by Mister Gee »

tamra,

OK, I got about £10 in my pocket, that's like $18... My friend Otis reckons that he can sell his MC Hammer baggy pants on ebay and raise about $2....so that's $20
...How much have you got?

Peace gee (we can do this!)
:lol::lol::lol:
tamra

Post by tamra »

Mister Gee,

:lol: :lol: I have some leftover lent in my pocket, a peppermint and a coupon for .50 off tissue paper. so we doing good so far. my cat on the other hand has lots of money stashed from shaking down squirrels and birds in the neighborhood, I guess she's now in the "insurance" business.

now to find some sucker, oops, I mean someone w/just a few million to cover the rest...

but seriously if song rights are auctioned, I wonder if it'll become a bidding war between existing big record labels. if not, anybody w/capital can have a crack at it.
---
tis2flyyy

Post by tis2flyyy »

THIS IS FUCKED UP!

I can not believe the huge black cloud this dude has over his head.

The end of an empire is near.
Deathrow was the MOST prolific label of our times. I still bang my Deathrow CDs. There will never be such magic created like that. When Deathrow was in its hey day - EVERYBODY Wanted to be down with the Row. Now that it is associated with crazy shit, everybody done fell off the fan and supporter ship.

In less than one year, he is shot the fuck up, his offices shut the fuck down, he is caught robbing the cradle with dope in his ride, he is locked the fuck up (for the 80th time) and he is broke the fuck up.

BAD, BAD times for Mr. Knight.

& all of his shit is on lock down by the courts.

I used to be like NEVER FEAR! BIG SUGE IS HERE!! But he is in bad need of captain-save-a-thug.

I just wonder if anyone will come to his aid?
Some people think Suge is the devil himself. & he may very well be. But believe it or not, he as come to the aid of a lot of people (beside the obvious ones you know about). Little no named muthaf-ers that were in dire need. He helped them in very bad times and times of need. So, I just wonder seriously, is ANYBODY gonna help this brother?

Did he really sell his soul to the devil (mike harris) and is the grim reaper fianlly coming to make good on his payments?

Why is he not showing up for court hearings? His ass be at the Charter House just about every other Wednesday puffing on cigars...so why can't he make it the hell to court?

Has he said, FUCK IT? I can not believe the big homey is going out like a straight you know what!

I know he is not gonna go out with out a fight! Not this nigga - Compton Thug and all. Ride or Die, right? What is he saying Ride & Hide????

What are his lawyers doing for him???? Since David Kenner has come down with cancer, he has had NO big hitters on his team to help him. Now, he may not even have the dough to hire any big hitters.

I am very disappointed in how he is handling his business. FOR SHAME. Makes me want to holler at him as say, WAKE UP DUDE! Get out there and fight!!!! What the hell is your problem???? No one ever coached him that when the tough gets going, your ass is to get tougher.....too bad.

Once upon a time, he boasted that he OWNED his masters...didn't NO master own him. I was like, now that is some high powered shit, right there! How many black people could say that at the time? The statement was published in a Vibe magazine, late 95. After that, his shit started crumbling.

I am NOT a Suge hater, so I am praying for the brother. I hope you all do too. But this is a classic example of having to pay the piper for all of your deeds that have may not have been above board.

See, this is the kind of shit that happens when you are too black, too strong, too outspoken, too proud and too free. Ole Wille gots to smack you down a peg or two. Keep them nigra's in line. It has happened countless, countless time. Look at Michael Jackson - the king of pop...now the king of what? Hell, they are forcing closure of Neverland!

What the HELL is the world coming to???

What makes this so sickening is, it is BLACK folks against BLACK folks. With all of the calamity in the world today and all the BAD shit people of color have to deal with, DAMN! I just hate to see "us" go at it like this. Given satan's imps fuel to say - see we can pit them against each other and let them kill, maim, bring down those fools themsleves - all we have to do is sit back and watch.

& I am going to say this also. FOR SHAME on anyone making light of his situation. The shit is MESSED up. There is no two ways about it. What the FUCK is funny about it????? Not a damn thing.

Even though he may be getting his come-uppance...doesn't not give me any reason to gloat. That is why sometimes I cannot stand the media.

If I could give him some advice - I would say --->Dude, you needs to find somewhere nice and quiet, turn your life over to God (seriously - like his family raised him), sit the fuck down, raise his kids and chill the fuck out.

& that is real.
Where is the LOVE?
tamra

Post by tamra »

tis2flyyy,

yeah Death Row changed the game. so it's sad to see it come to a ridiculous end like this. :( I wish the right group of folks could come together and save a major part of rap history.

but I saw the "Welcome To Death Row" documentary and it's as raw as can get. Michael Harris has been pursuing this legal battle for years. and Suge did come to Tupac's aid when everyone had pretty much turned his back on him while he was in prison and doing hard time at that. NY State prisons are no joke. Lil Kim is seeing that now. but Suge was doing a lot of dirt that finally caught up w/him. he could have settled this years ago since both Harris and Knight started out together.

you'd think someone like Jay-Z or P-Diddy would step up and save a part of rap history, esp. P-Diddy and his sampling ass. :lol: even Eminem who's on top now. Jimmy Iovine is also still around to pitch in as well.

because everyone I know, black, white, asian, latino has The Chronic CD, Snoop's DoggyStyle CD and several Tupac CD's and none are bootleg. I still play all regularly while a lot of other rappers I couldn't even remember their name.
---
dougdigitalpro

Post by dougdigitalpro »

yea, I don't like this shit at all. It seems he has no fight left to give and is giving them what they want. You are witnessing the destruction of ANOTHER high powered black male right here, folks.
Suge did dirt, but what powerful white record executive hasn't? Jimmy Iovine anyone? These guys do dirt all day in the record business and get away with it. Why? Because they're protected. The only thing I knock Suge for is not taking care of this sooner and behind the scenes, without getting the media and all involved.
I guess it's just the natural conclusion to something called "Death Row". There was no way a name like was gonna be allowed to truly flourish anyway. It's too threatening. It sure was some fuckin good ass music though! Some of the best we'll ever see!
Sad. b.b
An artist who
plans to change the game and free minds!
tamra

Post by tamra »

funny, that's one reason why I mentioned Jimmy Iovine. and Jimmy Iovine is sitting right there AT THE TOP, unscathed! @.@

but one of my friends worked in legal at a major record company for about 7 years. let's just say when the feds kick down a door at 6am, they're not coming to get coffee and danishes! they were obviously looking for something specific.

their dirt became public because Microsoft shared the same building and had a legal obligation to protect their employees. music industry mofos were coming in packing heat to collect paychecks and all sorts of drama unfolded regularly.
---
tis2flyyy

Post by tis2flyyy »

tamra,

Yeah, that documentary was off the CHAIN - for-riz-zeal!

That big dude throwing people otut the window, smacking broads, doing all kinds of craziness.

But for real, since Pac got shot, it has been all down hill from there for this cat.

& you are so right! P.Diddy is thee sampling KING! But Master P, the Cash Money Brothas, Jermaine Dupri, Lil Jon, even thesse hating ass west coast so called playas - Dre and Snoop should pool there resources and buy this material.

Instead of saying "ooooh, that is Suge, does mess with it, let him suffer"...look at the broader picture of losing a piece of black history.....even if it is rap history.

If you ask me, that is the problem today....young folks do not value their history any more. :(
Where is the LOVE?