*Warning * This story comes with a *Warning *

Politics, religion, racism, sex, the weather... there's always lots to think about so there's always lots to talk about. Progressive ideas are encouraged but all opinions are welcome.

Moderators: bingolong, Jennifer, tamra

Forum rules
Spam is not allowed. All spammers will be blocked and reported to appropriate agencies.
bcddjjsc690

Re: *Warning * This story comes with a *Warning *

Post by bcddjjsc690 »

deepseas,
it sure is for the victims family , 9 years (1997) is a long time to wait ,
It 's all over but the sentencing for Foster,Do I hear life in prison ? In the cell block which houses Walter , and Dupus .
This Bitch was the ringleader, She egged them on to kill Mary Ann ...
http://news.newstimeslive.com/story.php ... nnel=Local - She wants her trial '

Hope they fix her too .... :X
"you must be out-cho god-dammed mind "
tis2flyyy

Post by tis2flyyy »

bcddjjsc690,

If you ask me, they all need to die.

Once I got called for Jury Duty and then I went on this rant about how I felt people who commit murder should be killed themselves. FORGET TRIALS - wasting folks money! I am all for an eye for an eye. I was never called to Jury Duty, no mo'. I did not say no more, I said NO MO'!
Where is the LOVE?
bcddjjsc690

Post by bcddjjsc690 »

All the above links on this story have been archived, but they still have a paragraph on the original story.

The Most recent to be found guilty was Keith Foster, he cried in the courtroom the entire time his 130 year sentence was read ,charge by charge , sentence by sentence .
One more awaits trial , at this time .June Bates Seger.
The balance of the 7 murderers ,all took pleas of guilty, with the exception of Foster who was the only one to go to trial so far. I can only hope the other inmates of whatever Ct. jail they do their time in ,make the next decades they spend behind bars, a torture they cannot bear,their every waking moment, one day at a time ]:o(
bcddjjsc690

Post by bcddjjsc690 »

deepseas,
Connecticut does have the death penalty ,and these individuals crimes met 4 out of the 8 guidelines to receive either the death penalty or live in prison .
But because the crimes were commited by 8 people , there are different levels of involvment , that has effected the sentences .
I agree in the death peanlty as exactly that ,a penalty.
The only argument people ever make against it is that it doesn't stop people from killing .
I know that , but it does make one person pay the Ultimate price for a specific crime - PERIOD
tis2flyyy

Post by tis2flyyy »

deepseas,
[/i]If you can't do the time, don't do the crime...[/i]

My beloved Grandma used to say this all the time - as she had 10 sons and all were corrupt as hell (except for 2 of them).

I do not see the sense in keeping this dude alive. Call me whatever you want, but I personally feel that all those involved, should get as dead as that young child that they killed.
Where is the LOVE?
bcddjjsc690

Post by bcddjjsc690 »

The last of the 8 murderers has taken a plea bargain ,

http://www.newstimeslive.com/news/story.php?id=1006360 - Segar accepts plea bargain '

All those responcible for the death of 13 year Mary Ann Measles plan on being incarcereated in Ct State jails for decades to come . Good Riddance, jail is too good for them .

List of Murderers :,
A.J. Walter Jr. — Sentenced to 60 years in prison.

Deaneric Dupas III — Sentenced to 47 years in prison.

Jeffrey Boyette Jr. — Sentenced to 50-year prison term, suspended after 25 years. He will then be on probation for 25 years.

Maggie Mae Bennett — Plea bargain is for 30-year term, suspended after 15 to 20 years in prison. She would be on probation for five additional years.

Dorothy Hallas — Plea bargain is for a 50-year prison term, suspended after 25 years. She would be on probation for five more years.

Ronald Rajcok — Plea bargain calls for sentence of 25 to 42 years in prison.

Keith Foster — Convicted by a jury in May 2006 on nine of 10 counts, including felony murder. Could get up to 190 years in prison when he is sentenced Aug. 14.

June Bates Seger — Agreed to a plea bargain Tuesday on charges of felony murder, kidnapping and tampering with a witness. Scheduled to be sentenced Oct. 6.

Hope they all rot .
bcddjjsc690

Post by bcddjjsc690 »

deepseas,

55 years , 30 before any possibility of parole,

http://www.newstimeslive.com/news/story ... 1021408#tt - Sentencing '

[/i]A New Milford woman who was part of a gang of eight responsible for the death of a 13-year-old girl on the banks of the Housatonic River in New Milford in 1997 got a 30-year jail term Monday.[/i]

one more rat for the cage... :X
EddieHill

Post by EddieHill »

bcddjjsc690, This is a horrible tragedy and I am sad that it happened so close to you. This is something worse than the movies, House Of 1000 Corps or The Devils Rejects. This is evil in the purest form. The people convicted of this will suffer like pigs in prison for a long time. Just when you think you have seen it all it just keeps getting worse.
bcddjjsc690

Post by bcddjjsc690 »

EddieHill,
And 9 years later for justice to be done , what a torture for the family , to have to deal with the loss , then drudge up all the feelings again for years going to trials to see murdering dogs get their day in court.
bcddjjsc690

Post by bcddjjsc690 »

http://www.newstimeslive.com/news/story.php?id=1025279 - ALL THE PERIODS, AT THE ENDS OF THE SENTENCES'

Sentencings end Measles case

Hallas gets 25 years, Bennett gets 19 years in killing of New Milford teen Maryann Measles

LITCHFIELD -- Two women who helped prosecutors convict co-defendants in the 1997 kidnapping, rape and murder of 13-year-old Maryann Measles were sentenced Friday.
Maggie Bennett received 19 years in prison and Dorothy Hallas was sentenced to 25 years for their roles in the death of the New Milford girl.

The sentencings bring an end to the Superior Court cases of the eight defendants charged in the girl's group killing.

Bennett and Hallas, who were friends and part of the gang that was angry at Maryann, both testified at the trial of Keith Foster, the only one of eight defendants to take the case to trial.

They were angry at Maryann because she went to police to file statutory rape complaints against some of the men. The defendants, who Maryann thought were her friends, tried to keep the killing a secret but were finally arrested in 2002.

In addressing the judge at Hallas' sentencing, the victim's mother, Cindi Measles, said that it's hard to put into words how the killing of her daughter has affected her life.

What they got

Sentences for the others in the Maryann Measles case:

Jeffrey Boyette Jr.: 25 years.
June Bates Seger: 30 years.
Ronald Rajcok: 36 years.
Deaneric Dupas: 47 years.
A.J. Walter Jr.: 60 years.
Keith Foster: 110 years

"The loss of her is unspeakable," Cindi Measles said. "Maryann was beautiful, funny, smart. She was just young and naive and didn't know where she fit in."

Judge Robert Brunetti praised Cindi Measles for how she handled herself at multiple court hearings that went on for years.

"None of us can imagine the pain you have suffered in the last nine years," Brunetti said to Measles.

The group killed her because its members thought she was going to the police with underage rape allegations against the men in the group. She had sexual relationships with all of the men. The women involved were angry because the men were either their friends or boyfriends.

Bennett was the only defendant not convicted of felony murder.

As the first person to enter into an agreement with prosecutors to testify against the others, she received a more lenient term than the other defendants.

Prosecutor David Shepack said Bennett's decision to cooperate early on in the case was "instrumental in the decision-making process for other defendants" to plead guilty.

She pleaded guilty to kidnapping, risk of injury, and tampering with evidence and witness charges. Her sentence is a 30-year jail term, suspended after 19 years, and five years on probation.

Bennett's lawyer, Vicki Hutchinson of Danbury, said her client has tried to rehabilitate herself in prison. She is a very hard worker and has been praised by her supervisors at work for having an "excellent work ethic" and someone who "takes pride" in her jobs, which have included work in the laundry room at York Correctional Institution in Niantic, the state's women's prison.

Though Hallas and Bennett were given credit for helping prosecutors, Shepack said they were still guilty.

Both Hallas and Bennett verbally attacked Maryann on River Road as the entire group circled her, taunting her. They also failed to stop the killing that ultimately occurred, Shepack said.

Bennett and Hallas were both tearful as they apologized to the judge.

"I know I have done the unthinkable and I deserve to be punished," Bennett said.

Yet, Bennett asked that she get less than 20 years. As part of the plea bargain she could have received between 15 and 20 years in prison.

Hallas previously had accepted a deal calling for a 50-year jail term, suspended after 25 years, and five years on probation. She pleaded guilty to felony murder, conspiracy to commit kidnapping and risk of injury to a minor.

Hallas tearfully told the judge the case haunts her and that she is very sorry. "I can't take anything back," she said emotionally.

Her sentence was already a done deal, but with Bennett's there was wiggle room and Cindi Measles asked for the maximum.

"I'm just praying for the 20," Cindi Measles said. "She had my dead daughter's body in the car."

Bennett's van was used to transport the body from River Road to a nearby marina where Maryann's body was dumped into the Housatonic River.

Foster was the only defendant to go to trial. He was sentenced to 110 years and is appealing.

Contact Karen Ali

at kali@newstimes.com